Top 10 Genesis tracks

• 10. Can-Utility and the Coastliners

A magical track that never grows old. I don't see it mentioned often.

9. The Musical Box

It wasn't difficult selecting my top five or so tracks, but six through ten are nearly interchangeable.

I can sense you mulling over this as I type. What will #8 be, I wonder?

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• IListen to the 'Duke suite' stitched together as it was originally planned and it's prog rock's last grand 'hurrah'!

Yes I know you like this but Duke does absolutely nothing for me and it makes not a jot of difference which order you play it in.

I feel that it's me that's out on a limb on this. There seem to be a lot of old school, prog rock, Gabriel era fans who also like Duke and name it in their favourites. I just don't get it but hey there's just no accounting for taste.

• 10. Can-Utility and the Coastliners

9. The Musical Box

8. Watcher of the Skies

I don't know what to say about Watcher that hasn't already been said elsewhere a million times. But I do kind of wish I could switch 10. and 8. with each other, if it's not too late.

• I honestly don't know. I just heard Fountain of Salmacis earlier today. Lovely analysis!

The more I get to know Genesis the harder this gets. OK.... Afterglow. It's so impassioned & heartfelt.

• No problem to change. Watcher is now #10 & Can-Utility is now #8. Done! Both excellent tracks by the way!

Edited once, last by Gabble Ratchet ().

• I honestly don't know. I just heard Fountain of Salmacis earlier today. Lovely analysis!

The more I get to know Genesis the harder this gets. OK.... Afterglow. It's so impassioned & heartfelt.

Thank you! 😀

Afterglow: yes - good choice! One of my early faves from W&W and regularly performed live.

• No. 8

Carpet Crawlers

Not sure what to say about this other than my teenage son recently expressed a growing interest in Genesis, with a keen focus on the three-man era.

He is aware of the fact there was a previous singer and asked me if I could provide him with a small sample from the Gabriel era.

The song that immediately came to mind was Carpet Crawlers, not only because it's my favourite track off The Lamb, but it’s a melodic tune with a nice chorus and no abrupt chord changes which to me makes it an ideal gateway into that earlier period, though admittedly not entirely representative of the Gabriel era.

• My fave from that album too! 😀 and a wise choice for a teenage ear. You could also let him listen to Wardrobe which is also quite accessible on first hearing. Probably best to lay off Supper’s Ready for a while though. 😀

• You could also let him listen to Wardrobe which is also quite accessible on first hearing

Aren't we being a little patronising here? In the best possible way = "acting like a father".

A teenager is well capable of enjoying complex pieces of music. I wasn't into Genesis at the time but I was into Floyd and they didn't make singles.

Give him the real thing and blast him with Firth. If he's the sort of kid that likes instrumental solos he'll gobble it up. Then tell him to listen to the whole England album - it's got three rock solid epics. I'd be amazed if he even mentioned that dreary single.

• Aren't we being a little patronising here? In the best possible way = "acting like a father".

A teenager is well capable of enjoying complex pieces of music. I wasn't into Genesis at the time but I was into Floyd and they didn't make singles.

I don't think it's being patronising acknowledging that their early stuff has little immediate appeal. It's only what the band themselves have stated.

As someone who only recently dismissed their entire Gabriel-era stuff as "90% w*nk", I would have thought you'd understand this more than anyone. I was delighted when you gave it another go and got to like Trespass. Hopefully you'll do the same with 'Supper's Ready'; a track that my teenage ear failed to appreciate but which I now consider a masterpiece. If only I had had the ear that you claim you had back in the day!

• I don't think it's being patronising acknowledging that their early stuff has little immediate appeal. It's only what the band themselves have stated.

As someone who only recently dismissed their entire Gabriel-era stuff as "90% w*nk", I would have thought you'd understand this more than anyone. I was delighted when you gave it another go and got to like Trespass. Hopefully you'll do the same with 'Supper's Ready'; a track that my teenage ear failed to appreciate but which I now consider a masterpiece. If only I had had the ear that you claim you had back in the day!

Well we are going to have to let our colleague decide on this himself of course, but Wardrobe is a dime a dozen single at best, or even to my ear actually positively irritating. We can't be risking losing a future Squonk here, so let's hope Witchwood judges it right!!

Give him the real thing and blast him with Firth. If he's the sort of kid that likes instrumental solos he'll gobble it up. Then tell him to listen to the whole England album - it's got three rock solid epics. ...

He does like some Camel and Yes (the other week he asked me if I liked "Close To The Edge"), so the door is certainly open to present some older epics. He already has all of Duke and I think the title tracks from Abacab and Invisible Touch. He asked me to provide him with a selection of songs from the same era plus a sampling from the Gabriel era, so, among other things, I provided him with a couple of tracks from The Lamb.

• 8. Ripples

This is one of their most beautiful tracks. I think this was an end of an era for Genesis as the two 12 string acoustics, which defined their sound since Trespass, would not be utilized like this anymore. Lyrically it’s very touching, dealing with aging and the thoughts of things from the past never returning. The highlight is the amazing bridge with Tony and Steve doing what they do best.

• 8. Ripples

This is one of their most beautiful tracks. I think this was an end of an era for Genesis as the two 12 string acoustics, which defined their sound since Trespass, would not be utilized like this anymore. Lyrically it’s very touching, dealing with aging and the thoughts of things from the past never returning. The highlight is the amazing bridge with Tony and Steve doing what they do best.

I love this track. Generally I favour the whole album, rather then tracks and that includes all of the Genesis earlier material. This is why I have not posted comments on here. However, I'm a little picky on Genesis later stuff though, which can be a hit or miss for me. ;)

• The highlight is the amazing bridge with Tony and Steve doing what they do best.

Absolutely!! It's a two and a half minute eargasm. Anyone that says that it's too long needs their head examining. Smart choice. We may, err, be seeing it again shortly in these listings.

• We’re listing one every Friday, to allow occasional visitors to the forum chance to participate (and newcomers to join in!) and the rest of us to re-listen to our old faves and re-jig our own lists. 😀

• I wasn't into Genesis at the time but I was into Floyd and they didn't make singles.

Really? Crikey! Where were you Christmas '79? Couldn't have closed the decade with a better number 1.

• Well I just discovered this thread! Love a bit of data collation. It's really an impossible task to seriously rank a top 10 but I've had a quick think and drawn up an approximate list now that probably takes in my big highlights:

10. Deep in the Motherlode

I just think this is an absolute belter, kind of like a swung version of Squonk but more concise and with a unique atmosphere that doesn't reappear anywhere else in the Genesis catalogue. It wasn't always one of my favourites but it has been a slow grower and now it's one I turn to a lot. Along with "Say It's Alright, Joe", it's a major highlight of a slightly difficult album for me.

9. Behind the Lines

Very exciting intro and I love the way it just snaps into that cool pop song second half. I could have gone with Duke's Travels/End, which packs a bigger emotional punch, but to be honest I don't find myself that gripped by the first 5 minutes or so of Duke's Travels. It's good but it doesn't have the sharpness of the first track.

8. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Otherworldly intro, great verses with fun lyrics, but for me it's all about the acoustic middle section with its intricate layers - and of course the awesome way the song gets going again.

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he, or she?

• Welcome to the thread Merryman. Good solid choices there. I’m glad to see one of the great classics from W&W appear as well as something from Duke. I’ll add you to the database and get ready to choose #7 on Friday