Top 10 Genesis tracks

• This is the third nomination for this track. Quelle surprise! Will there be yet more to come, I wonder!

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• Number 6: Firth of Fifth

I love the original for Bank's piano intro and Gabriel's brilliant vocal performance and I love the live Seconds Out version for its sheer majesty, driven by the drum performance and of course Hacketts beautiful guitar solo, which dspite being somewhat down in the mix, manages to stand proud amid the thundering percussion and waves of keyboards.

Classic symphonic prog rock from Genesis.

• Welcome to the Top 10 countdown, Tsnider. Some great choices here 👍 which I’ve now logged

• Several of my favourite tracks in Genesis are ones where Steve Hackett either co-wrote with one other person, or made a suggestion that resulted in a monumental musical highlight.

No. 6.

Blood On The Rooftops

I made that comment in reference to "Entangled" but I had at least two more songs in mind when I wrote that, including this one.

Classical guitar, mellotron, a beautiful melody. What more could I ask for? This is a heavenly piece of music, my favourite track of the post-Gabriel era - which I suppose says something about my top five.

• No. 6.

Blood On The Rooftops

This is a heavenly piece of music, my favourite track of the post-Gabriel era - which I suppose says something about my top five.

Indeed it does! You’ve now got me wondering what will make your top 5. At least one more Hackett composition / collaboration, eh? I’m guessing it’s Can-Utility but I’ve no idea where in your top 5 it’ll appear.

• No. 6.

Blood On The Rooftops

I made that comment in reference to "Entangled" but I had at least two more songs in mind when I wrote that, including this one.

Classical guitar, mellotron, a beautiful melody. What more could I ask for? This is a heavenly piece of music, my favourite track of the post-Gabriel era - which I suppose says something about my t

Great choice. I love BOTRT. Good lyrcis too, probably because Banks had b*gger all to do with them ;)

• Great choice. I love BOTRT. Good lyrcis too, probably because Banks had b*gger all to do with them ;)

Ha ha! I didn’t expect that! 😂😂 I’ll have to look again at your nominations. Are they really so anti-Banks?

• Ha ha! I didn’t expect that! 😂😂 I’ll have to look again at your nominations. Are they really so anti-Banks?

Musically he's a genius, but I always thought his lyrics could be hit and miss. I listen more to music that lyrics tbh, but if they are particularly good they stand out, just as they do if they are toe curling.

• Musically he's a genius, but I always thought his lyrics could be hit and miss. I listen more to music that lyrics tbh, but if they are particularly good they stand out, just as they do if they are toe curling.

I’m guessing you wouldn’t go for a medley like this then? 😂😂😂

“Little Nemo rubbed his eyes and got out of bed. Trying hard to piece together a broken dream. His visions lifelike and full of imagination.

Then comes this monster mouse, he's ten feet tall, with teeth and claws to match. It only took one blow.”

• I’m guessing you wouldn’t go for a medley like this then? 😂😂😂

“Little Nemo rubbed his eyes and got out of bed. Trying hard to piece together a broken dream. His visions lifelike and full of imagination.

Then comes this monster mouse, he's ten feet tall, with teeth and claws to match. It only took one blow.”

Yeah, I could muddle through without that...cheers anyway.. :D

• Number 6: Firth of Fifth

I love the original for Bank's piano intro and Gabriel's brilliant vocal performance and I love the live Seconds Out version for its sheer majesty, driven by the drum performance and of course Hacketts beautiful guitar solo, which dspite being somewhat down in the mix, manages to stand proud amid the thundering percussion and waves of keyboards.

Classic symphonic prog rock from Genesis.

I just can't see how the Seconds Out version can justify itself without that piano intro. Neither can I understand why Banks felt he couldn't do it justice on set. I've heard several renditions of this by other people online, seen it done once live. Hackett doesn't have a problem getting it done. What was the issue? Technology at the time? Just do it on a frigging piano with a microphone in front of it, like this talented lady:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• ^^^ Do we know for certain that they didn't do the intro live, and it was just lef off the recording (for whatever reason)?

I’m sure I read somewhere that Banks felt he couldn’t do it justice live. I think it was to do with the tech available at the time and the impracticality of going on tour with a grand piano. However, considering the truck loads of sound equipment they ferry round with them whilst on tour, I’m sure they could have got round this had they really wanted to.

• I’m sure I read somewhere that Banks felt he couldn’t do it justice live. I think it was to do with the tech available at the time and the impracticality of going on tour with a grand piano. However, considering the truck loads of sound equipment they ferry round with them whilst on tour, I’m sure they could have got round this had they really wanted to.

Yeah other bands managed to cart around grand piano's; Queen, ELP et al.... Blimey Ketih Emerson played the effing thing spinning through the air once. Broke his fingers when the lid slammed down, but hey...one pays for their art.

• Yeah other bands managed to cart around grand piano's; Queen, ELP et al.... Blimey Ketih Emerson played the effing thing spinning through the air once. Broke his fingers when the lid slammed down, but hey...one pays for their art.

Crikey! A spinning piano...can’t see the Health & Safety squad allowing that any more...

Eee, them were t’days!