Nursery Cryme is 50!

• I think rock music was at a peak 50 years ago. If I had to list all the great albums emerging in late '71, I wouldn't even know where to start.

• When I did a Nursery Cryme thread I was surprised at how lukewarm the response was. First album with the classic line-up etc. But people didn't seem that interested. OK it picked up a bit and one thread isn't necessarily the measure of appreciation. But anyway there's the link for anyone who wants to dive in.

Abandon all reason

• I think rock music was at a peak 50 years ago. If I had to list all the great albums emerging in late '71, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Certainly, if you include 5 years either side of 1971, I'd agree.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Certainly, if you include 5 years either side of 1971, I'd agree.

To me 1969-1976 is the best era for music along with 2007-2013 which was also an absolutely remarkable era for albums of multiple genres. There was obviously loads of great albums between 1977 and 2006 as well but those two eras I mentioned contain the vast majority of of my favourites. :)

• Happy birthday Nursery Cryme. My joint favorite of the 'classic' lineup alongside The Lamb, and the fourth most underappreciated Genesis album after Trespass, Abacab and CAS!

I enjoy it a good bit more that its sibling Foxtrot as NC is more adventurous and aggressive.

• Official Post

We also habe the album poll here:

Your favorite tracks on ... "Nursery Cryme"

And a nice article from 1999 about the album:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…Cryme-CD-review-s200.html

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• You can't beat a bit of the Daily Doug!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 'nursery cryme' was the only genesis album with no singles from it.

i mean, there was the silent sun from the album 'from genesis to revelation', the knife from 'trespass', there was a short version of watcher of the skies from 'foxtrot' planned to be released a single...

happy the man was a non-album single released shortly after 'nursery cryme'. i've recently noticed that it included seven stones on the b-side. therefore, seven stones would be the closest thing to a single from 'nursery cryme'? :/

• Strictly speaking, The Silent Sun wasn't a single from FGTR - the 'Silent Sun' titled track (without 'The') on the album was a re-recording. Okay, it's the same song though.

It is interesting that even at the time they recorded Trespass, Tony mentioned they were still considering releasing Let Us Now Make Love as a single. Also, they had Going Out To Get You recorded as a single release with Wooden Mask as its B-side. I never found any information how all this changed. Whose idea was it to release The Knife as a single? Strat's?

• 'there was a short version of watcher of the skies from 'foxtrot' planned to be released a single...

Right, but the single version was a re-recording. And it wasn't just planned (as is often claimed), but actually was released.

Strictly speaking, The Silent Sun wasn't a single from FGTR - the 'Silent Sun' titled track (without 'The') on the album was a re-recording.

No, the version on FGTR was not a re-recording. The only real difference between the versions (besides the "The") is that the single version is in mono and the album version is in stereo. I've heard it claimed that the strings are different between the two versions but I don't hear any difference there either.

Technically, though, "Silent Sun" is not a single from FGTR because it was released as a single over a year before FGTR came out. It would be more accurate to say that it was a single used on FGTR.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Sorry. :(

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Bud Spencer: Charleston

A great italian actor Bud Spencer (1929–2016).

He enters with a copy of NC (but It don't mean with the movie).

Maybe a joke by the director. :/

Edited once, last by rkive ().

• The guy who made at least 2 comedy spaghetti Westerns with Terence Hill, "My Name Is Trinity", and "Trinity is Still My Name" - both well worth catching, they are hilarious!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• No, the version on FGTR was not a re-recording. The only real difference between the versions (besides the "The") is that the single version is in mono and the album version is in stereo. I've heard it claimed that the strings are different between the two versions but I don't hear any difference there either.

Excuse me? The difference in the violins arrangement is striking. The album version's arrangement is much sparser and leaves more room for the actual song. Remember Tony said on the album they participated in writing the violins and brass arrangements to gain some control over it, as opposed to the preceding singles in which they had zero control over the violins.

• Remember Tony said on the album they participated in writing the violins and brass arrangements to gain some control over it, as opposed to the preceding singles in which they had zero control over the violins.

This is the first time that I’ve ever heard that the members of Genesis had any control of the strings/brass. Everything I have ever heard/read is that the members of the band ( especially Ant) were really pissed off when they heard the brass and strings all over the album.

• The difference in the violins arrangement is striking. The album version's arrangement is much sparser and leaves more room for the actual song.

I'm unable to spot the difference simply by listening to one version followed by the other. Maybe if I do a "side-by-side" comparison in some recording software I'll be able to pick up on it.

This is the first time that I’ve ever heard that the members of Genesis had any control of the strings/brass. Everything I have ever heard/read is that the members of the band ( especially Ant) were really pissed off when they heard the brass and strings all over the album.

That's what I've always heard as well.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.