am i the only one who dislikes pink floyd?

• Here is a thing about Waters, PC style, doing a "first farewell tour". It mentions something about 'corporate dystopia' and all that. I really couldn't be arsed reading it, but just in case you can...

Abandon all reason

• and how about sense of humour? if there is any humour in pink floyd's songs, music videos or live performances, it's certainly hard to find.

Waters and Gilmour at a small charity event from about ten years ago singing "to know him is to love him" together. Yes, they do have a sence of humour. :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I listened to all their albums in university and most of them left me cold. While I can see why people like them, they are just not for me. The only three albums by them that I still sometimes listen to are "Atom Heart Mother", "Meddle" and "Obscured By Clouds" probably because they seem to have the most heart and warmth.

• I like Pink Floyd first and foremost for their music. Gilmour's guitar and Wright's keyboards (and to a lesser extent, Waters's bass and Mason's drums) combine for some wonderful passages in many songs. I don't mind Waters's lyrics through Wish You Were Here and as mentioned, there is some sarcastic humour in songs such as Have a Cigar. From Animals onward, I'm less engaged with his lyrics and thus the songs.

• I like them and I think they are amongst the best in terms of songwriting, that said I never thought they were prog, it's not necessarily detrimental to their greatness, I just don't feel they belob in that category.

• I like them and I think they are amongst the best in terms of songwriting, that said I never thought they were prog, it's not necessarily detrimental to their greatness, I just don't feel they belob in that category.

Why don't you think they're prog? I'm just interested in your reasons.

• 👆 I don't really think they are either. I think of prog as having more fantastical elements and meandering song structures than Floyd had. They always seem more organized to me, and I don't think they ever used words like 'madrigal' or the like. Sure there were elements, around Atom Heart maybe, but as a whole their body of work to me is more classic rock with a bit of sci fi or something exotic mixed in. On the other hand, I'm not into much classic rock but I love Pink Floyd 🤷‍♂️. Maybe they're hard to properly categorize. Be interested in Fabrizio's reasons.

• and how about sense of humour? if there is any humour in pink floyd's songs, music videos or live performances, it's certainly hard to find.

Ever heard "Corporal Clegg"? Especially the (rare) lead vocal parts by Nick Mason.

There's also "Bike," although, given that it's a Syd Barrett song, we can't be totally sure it was meant to be funny.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Why don't you think they're prog? I'm just interested in your reasons.

Their songs I guess, stripped to their core: chords, melody and harmonies, they are not as complex as those of other prog bands, if we consider complexity as a benchmark for prog artists. The use they made of the studio, almost as an instrument, was certainly adventurous and can be considered progressive but generally speaking they don't compare musically and in terms of musicianship to Genesis, KC, ELP, Yes, Rush and so on. I love them and I'm probably splitting hairs here but I've always had a hard time considering them prog. Take Gilmour, whose sound I love, he's basically a blues guitarist, Wright, Waters and Mason are fine but in terms of chops, I don't feel they compare to any of their counterparts in other prog bands. I think it's one of the secrets of their success, as quirky and inventive as they were, they were not intricate at all, you can hum and strum along most of their songs.

Edited 2 times, last by Fabrizio ().

• Why don't you think they're prog? I'm just interested in your reasons.

👆 I don't really think they are either. I think of prog as having more fantastical elements and meandering song structures than Floyd had. They always seem more organized to me, and I don't think they ever used words like 'madrigal' or the like. Sure there were elements, around Atom Heart maybe, but as a whole their body of work to me is more classic rock with a bit of sci fi or something exotic mixed in. On the other hand, I'm not into much classic rock but I love Pink Floyd 🤷‍♂️. Maybe they're hard to properly categorize. Be interested in Fabrizio's reasons.

This is all taking us back to the old question of what exactly is prog anyway. There's clearly little agreement on it, especially given the wide range of acts that are referred to as prog.

Abandon all reason