New dashboard settings / "latest posts" section

• Official Post

Dear all

Following a discussion the technical issues thread, I have changed the settings for the dashboard / Latest posts page.

This is a test to see if that works better for everyone.

This page will only display posts about Genesis or related subjects (i.e. more or less everything not off topic), but you can still see the full threads and subforums via the forum overview.

Dashboard / Latest Posts:

https://www.genesis-news.com/forum/dashboard/

Forum overview:

https://www.genesis-news.com/forum/

• Personally I think it's unfortunate to make this change based on one person's comments. Unless of course others have requested it too. I like seeing the mix of Genesis and non-Genesis threads on the dashboard and as was said in the discussion referred to, there is the option to mute forums of no interest. Anyway, as you said let's see how it goes.

Abandon all reason

• Personally I think it's unfortunate to make this change based on one person's comments. Unless of course others have requested it too. I like seeing the mix of Genesis and non-Genesis threads on the dashboard and as was said in the discussion referred to, there is the option to mute forums of no interest. Anyway, as you said let's see how it goes.

I agree with this. The issue really was the Games and, to a lesser extent, Sports, overwhelming the new posts page. Perhaps making those 2 items "opt-in" would be a better solution?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

As I wrote, it's a test and those forums / threads are not gone and still accessible, they also appear in individual notificatiuons when activated.

I always thought on topic stuff should be highlghted more so let's see how that goes.

The forum hasn't changed at all, it's just the Dashboard

• Having just posted in the RIP thread, it made me think it's a shame we won't immediately see new non-Genesis posts flagged in the same way. I understand the impatience some have with the games and 'songs with' etc threads crowding the dashboard - I long ago muted a few forums myself to avoid just that and subsequently enjoyed a good mix of new Genesis/non-Genesis posts on the dashboard as I come here for exactly that spread of topics. But I sense that we're going to end up with a Genesis-only dashboard and wondered if it's possible to have a split dashboard, a Genesis and an Off Topic one.

Abandon all reason

• A vast improvement, especially for us types with a low attention span (or perhaps more important things to do). Thankyou. The good stuff is starting to float to the top.

Recent posts and likes about song titles, rips, or what you are watching on tv still appear on the dashboard under recent activities.., so you already have the best of both worlds.

As already mentioned muting doesn't work if not logged in, and at any one time most users of this forum are not logged in or don't have an account. This change may encourage more to join and contribute.

Edited 5 times, last by vl1 ().

• Having just posted in the RIP thread, it made me think it's a shame we won't immediately see new non-Genesis posts flagged in the same way. I understand the impatience some have with the games and 'songs with' etc threads crowding the dashboard - I long ago muted a few forums myself to avoid just that and subsequently enjoyed a good mix of new Genesis/non-Genesis posts on the dashboard as I come here for exactly that spread of topics. But I sense that we're going to end up with a Genesis-only dashboard and wondered if it's possible to have a split dashboard, a Genesis and an Off Topic one.

Just use the unread posts, with the unwanted forums de-selected.

Ian

• A vast improvement, especially for us types with a low attention span (or perhaps more important things to do). Thankyou. The good stuff is starting to float to the top.

Recent posts and likes about song titles, rips, or what you are watching on tv still appear on the dashboard under recent activities.., so you already have the best of both worlds.

As already mentioned muting doesn't work if not logged in, and at any one time most users of this forum are not logged in or don't have an account. This change may encourage more to join and contribute.

Why log out, if you're a member? I just stay logged in permanently, it has no disadvantages.

Ian