New dashboard settings / "latest posts" section

• Same reason I don't stay logged into bank/utility/any sites, privacy and security, and it's not necessary - this is a source of news for me, not a social life. I occasionally post if I have something to add, or some new media to mention.

Another Padgham interview up on youtube for anyone interested.

• Just use the unread posts, with the unwanted forums de-selected.

I already do, but am I missing something? On the dashboard I get Latest Posts which now are Genesis-only, and Recent Activities which as mentioned show everything across all topics (unfortunately including likes which pad it out too much). My de-selection of certain forums should already be applying in that section shouldn't it?

Abandon all reason

• Yes indeed but as he implies, he has "more important things to do".

But logging out doesn't help him do those important things, it just saves time. Logging out doesn't add to privacy or security, as all it does is add or delete cookies in the browser cache. Having the "logged-in" cookie doesn't make it any easier for a third party to hack into your forum account as they'd have to have remote access into your computer, and if they have that, they can probably watch your keystrokes as you type your password in, making it less secure.

Having been a member of this forum, both incarnations included, and others, for over a decade, I've never had my forum accounts hacked, and frankly, who'd want to? But as I'm always logged in, feel free to try.

As for vl1 logging out of bank/utility sites, you don't get a choice, they time you out anyway. Mostly in case your laptop is stolen and the accounts are then accessible to the thieves, whereas, with nothing to gain material access to on a forum, if they decided to post on your account, it would actually help find the thief, as the forum records IP addresses, which would pinpoint their location. But hey, do what you like, it matters not to me. Just trying to help.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I already do, but am I missing something? On the dashboard I get Latest Posts which now are Genesis-only, and Recent Activities which as mentioned show everything across all topics (unfortunately including likes which pad it out too much). My de-selection of certain forums should already be applying in that section shouldn't it?

I don't know. I haven't got any Games posts showing on my Dashboard, and I have that sub-forum deselected, but I don't know if there are any at present. I'd guess there are, so it seems to be applying here.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Recent posts and likes about song titles, rips, or what you are watching on tv still appear on the dashboard under recent activities.., so you already have the best of both worlds.

It's not really the best of both worlds as the most recent Genesis ones that now make up the Latest Posts section are also shown in the Recent Activity section, so they appear twice and crowd out some of the off-topic posts, to which can be added all likes of Genesis topics as well. So the new set-up is weighted to those preferring to see mainly new Genesis-stuff. With the forum settings I have, I was getting a much better mix of on- and off-topic on the dashboard so for me the new set-up isn't as good.

Anyway, never mind - it's done and most members probably prefer it now and I don't want to sound like Millicent Moany about this. One thing that could be done if possible would be to not have likes showing up on recent activity, there doesn't seem to be any point to this.

Abandon all reason

• Not sure what you're still moaning about.

At this time, on the dashboard screen

All 25 of the lastest posts are Genesis related (it's a Genesis news forum btw, those people browsing as guests aren't coming to see what a stranger is listening to on their Samsung)

12 out of 15 on the Unread threads are nothing to do with Genesis, much like the old dashboard used to be. - Seinfield (Curb is far funnier, but not for those of a woke disposition), song titles and the like dominate.

And the never ending recent activities list with the display posts button for continuously scrollability is a mixture of the two, (but still mostly off-topic trivia at present.)

If you aren't seeing that, maybe it's your settings, try logging off and clearing your cookies. It's all there on one page, and should please everyone.

The naming of these sections could be better btw Christian

----

Now, what shall I have for supper....

Edited 11 times, last by vl1 ().

• Wow man, you are on fire in this thread. The casual zingers are just electric. A towering display of wit. Bravo.

You've got to admire the ability to crowbar - red-faced, straining and sweating - "woke" into a thread about re-setting the dashboard. That's dedication!

Abandon all reason

• Somewhat belatedly: thanks Christian!

From the viewpoint of a casual visitor I prefer these Latest Posts settings, & can’t help feeling that it’s more encouraging for all the potential new forumites generated by the band’s current tour to see at a glance what’s happening in the Genesis-related threads instead of being confronted with a long list of song titles relating to hatstands, owlets & marshmallows ;)