Who has never met who?

• This is one of those "out of curiosity" questions that maybe no one will be able to answer definitively...

I remember back in 1998 coming across those group photos from the promotion for GENESIS ARCHIVE. There were all the familiar G-men... and one guy who initially seemed out of place. It was short-time G-man John Silver, who I'd never seen a decent picture of before.

Anyway, I was wondering. What about the other short-time G-men who weren't there? Did Chris Stewart, John Mayhew or Ray Wilson ever get to meet any of the Genesis members that they weren't actually in the band with?

I recall hearing something about Ray working with Steve on something. Other than that, I have no idea. Anyone?

[Blocked Image: http://www.worldofgenesis.com/genesis_reunited_98.jpg]

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I think RW said he met Collins once.

Wasn't there a mass get-together of all previous Genesis members around 2000 or so? Or perhaps earlier as it might have been to mark the release of Archive 1. I recall reading that Banks stood up to raise a toast and said something like "Well, it's been a long time... but we finally managed to sack all of you."

Abandon all reason

• I think RW said he met Collins once.

They met backstage in Hannover in 2007. Here's Ray's story about it:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I looked for information about Tony's "sack the lot of you" quote and it was from a dinner in 1998 to celebrate ARCHIVE 1. I couldn't find much detail, but one article claims that it involved "all former and present members of Genesis," which can't be true because John Mayhew wouldn't resurface for a few more years after that. I don't get the impression that John S. or Ray were involved either. The article does mention Chris, though, so it seems he got to meet Steve and Phil.

• Ray met Phil Collins back stage during the December 1997 shows, at Earls Court. Ray has also emailed Phil etc.

Ray met Tony after Genesis folded. Ray has worked with Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips has met Steve and worked with Steve.

John Mayhew, met Ant at the 2006 Genesis convention.

Daryl Stuermer has worked with Tony Banks, on Tony's solo albums.

Chester Thompson has worked with Steve and met Steve.

Ray did meet up with the reformed Genesis on the 2007 tour.

and so the list goes on and on...

Regards

Mark

• Yes anyway, as this thread is to determine who never met who, from all of the above can we say that Mayhew never met any new arrivals post-Trespass or Silver/Stewart?

Was Barnard at the 98 dinner, if not can we say he never met anyone other than the-then band members?

Did Bruford ever meet any of the other short-termers?

I feel a diagram in the making (somewhere, not here).

Abandon all reason

• << John Mayhew, met Ant at the 2006 Genesis convention. >>

Actually, he met Ant in 1969. :)

<< from all of the above can we say that Mayhew never met any new arrivals post-Trespass >>

I mentioned above that he (first) met Steve at the 2006 convention.

<< Daryl Stuermer has worked with Tony Banks, on Tony's solo albums. >>

<< Chester Thompson has worked with Steve and met Steve. >>

<< Was Barnard at the 98 dinner, if not can we say he never met anyone other than the-then band members? >>

<< Did Bruford ever meet any of the other short-termers? >>

Frankly, I think this is potentially complicated enough without getting into the live-only sidemen and the temporary (and unrecorded) Barnard.

• It was at that 2006 convention in London where I met John Mayhew and Ant Phillips. They had worked on Trespass together anyway. That was a fun day. I asked them what it was like to meet up after all these years, and Ant joked that they'd had a punch up in the car park, to 'lay the past to rest' :D

• They met backstage in Hannover in 2007. Here's Ray's story about it:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I've heard this story so many times and it never gets old.

Phil also sent Ray tickets to see one of his shows on the Trip Into The Light tour in 1997.

• dinner in 1998 to celebrate ARCHIVE 1. I couldn't find much detail, but one article claims that it involved "all former and present members of Genesis," which can't be true

The only members present, next to the "legendary five", were Ant Phillips and John Silver. You'll find a nice photo of those seven here:

http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/media/photogallery.html

Chester Thompson has worked with Steve and met Steve.

They even played together in Genesis in the early months of 1977. ;)

Daryl Stuermer, too, met Steve as early as he joined Genesis. There's a quote in Armando Gallo's book, something like "A guy turned up telling me I was his second fave guitarist, and that guy turned out to be Steve Hackett".

• "The only members present, next to the "legendary five", were Ant Phillips and John Silver. You'll find a nice photo of those seven here:"

From what I've gathered so far (and made reference to in this thread), the dinner was a separate occasion from the gathering where the photos were taken, with the former involving Stewart and the latter involving Silver. That's assuming the info I've gotten is correct, of course.

• Genesis did their PR with VH1 mainly for the Genesis Archive 1 release at The Heathrow Business Centre on the 11th May 1998, but the band met up about a fortnight later for a dinner. Allegedly it was at this dinner that at the end Tony Banks stood up and jokingly said that "he had managed to sack the lot of you".

So there you go.

Regards

Mark

• The only members present, next to the "legendary five", were Ant Phillips and John Silver. You'll find a nice photo of those seven here:

http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/media/photogallery.html

That pic is from the Archive launch at Heathrow business centre. The dinner was at restaurant Nobu and an Uncut magazine piece described it as a gathering of all past Genesis members. It mentions Steve Hackett discussing flamenco guitar techniques with Chris Stewart.

Abandon all reason