STEVE HACKETT - Foxtrot at Fifty (Genesis Revisited) & solo highlights tour 2022 & 2023 & 2024

• Official Post

Steve Hackett will be on tour in the UK again next September, this time celebrating the Foxtrot album

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…022-tour-dates--s812.html

• I’m still torn over how to interpret Steve’s choice of tours. Does he keep doing Genesis-related tours as a genuine tribute to the classic era or is this mainly about Steve knowing that’s where the money is (or may both?)

• I’m still torn over how to interpret Steve’s choice of tours. Does he keep doing Genesis-related tours as a genuine tribute to the classic era or is this mainly about Steve knowing that’s where the money is (or may both?)

I'd say there's an element of both.

Abandon all reason

• I know that fans of his solo work will greet this news lukewarmly, but I would always look forward to hearing “Can-Utility and the Coastliners” live. 😎 Come to think of it, I haven’t heard “Get ‘Em Out By Friday” live in person in a while too - I could see Nad having a lot of fun with that one! 👍 (Of course, the traditional classics are quite welcome too (WOTS, SR); Steve loves playing “Horizons”, and how often have you heard “Time Table” live?)

At least, “Hackett Highlights” has second billing - so there should be a good selection. Now, how much he plays beyond his last two releases, I’m not so sure… 🤔

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Absolutely. No question about it, IMO.

And why not? I don't go to these tours but plenty of people do, they enjoy them, he must like doing them and it's clearly a decent earner. In his position I'd probably do the same... although I hope I'd be making better albums...

Abandon all reason

• Why not indeed. I've been to some, but now, I'd like him to go back to his own material. Unlikely now, I'd say.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I'd like him to go back to his own material. Unlikely now, I'd say.

What with the various 50ths coming up this decade...

I went to a general unthemed half-Hackett half-Genesis one, then the W&W 40th, and those were enough for me. I too would prefer a solo material show, which he's said he will return to but you're right that doesn't seem like it's imminent if indeed it ever will be. But even if it happens there's the lack of appeal of his last few albums. If he did (eg) a solo-only 'The Charisma Years' tour I'd seriously consider it even though I'm usually wary of acts that release new material but then mainly focus or rest solely on their old stuff when on tour - in his case I'd prefer it.

Abandon all reason

• The last time I saw Steve in concert was eight years ago. I think it was during his first GR tour.

I absolutely loved it.

In fact - and this might sound strange - I enjoyed it so much I felt I there was absolutely no way I could go see him on another Revisited tour because I would invariably compare my levels of satisfaction, and I just don't want to do that when I go to a concert. I just want to enjoy the moment.

I thought maybe after 2 or 3 years, he'd be back to doing regular solo concerts.

Now it's been eight years and I'm thinking, well, I wouldn't mind hearing Can-Utility and GEOBF live, neither of which were performed the last time I saw him.

I'd be more enticed though if he'd play a few tracks from some of his middle-era albums: Darktown, Highly Strung, Guitar Noir, To Watch The Storms — even something from Cured would be greeted as a pleasant surprise.

• That last sentence is spot on, really. Above all else, I'd love to hear "Twice Around The Sun" one of the best prog instrumentals ever recorded, and going through that 80/90's era, Let Me Count The Ways, Duel, This World, Rebecca, Down Street, Wolfwork, The Fundamentals Of Brainwashing/Howl, plus others he has already played in the past, would make for a pretty good setlist that wouldn't leave room for much Genesis material, but would make for a great night's music.

Ian

• Above all else, I'd love to hear "Twice Around The Sun" one of the best prog instrumentals ever recorded.

Oh absolutely. I can imagine how ecstatic I'd be sitting second or third row watching that song performed in front of me.

What's bizarre is I don't think he's ever performed it live.

• Oh absolutely. I can imagine how ecstatic I'd be sitting second or third row watching that song performed in front of me.

What's bizarre is I don't think he's ever performed it live.

He hasn't. If there'd been a whiff of it, I'd have been at the first gig I could find near me!

Ian

• I saw Last Domino twice and loved it. Saw Steve do seconds out a month later. Actually preferred Steve . It was the 3rd and best GR show I've been too. ( Twice on the first tour) . I'd rather now see him do all his own stuff with Genesis thrown on as he always did , it's about time . Anyway I think I'll go , it'll be great.

• I’ve emailed Steve to ask if he will include Twilight Alehouse on this tour. I think it would fit well, give the band a chance to stretch out at the end and including some outtakes provides even more of a purpose to revisiting these albums (not that more purpose is needed). It would be a bit like Steve including Inside and Out on the W&W tour and Deja Vu on the SEBTP tour.

The team replied they would keep it in mind.

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “STEVE HACKETT - Foxtrot at Fifty (Genesis Revisited) & solo highlights tour 2022” to “STEVE HACKETT - Foxtrot at Fifty (Genesis Revisited) & solo highlights tour 2022 & 2023”.
    • Official Post

Eleven German shows were announced today, more shows will follow soon (elsewhere).

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…shows-announced-n802.html

• Looking forward to this one.

I like the Genesis stuff he does, For me I’d prefer 50/50 Spilt with his solo stuff but for the audiences he wants/needs to pull in I think he has it about right. I followed him through the small gigs in hideaway places and loved it but I say good luck to him with the comfortable road life he has now. I think he has done enough over the years to split into three phases, The Charisma years, a loose middle period and the more recent clutch of albums and I’d like him to play one or two tracks from each ‘phase’ each tour. But the last few tours have been stunning so no complaints from me either way!

• I say good luck to him with the comfortable road life he has now

While as I said earlier I don't much like these Genesis shows I echo the above sentiment. He's clearly settled into a fruitful live pattern and with the various anniversaries this decade he'll see out the 20s and probably retire. There won't be any further pure solo tours in my view.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().