Early recording of Twilight Alehouse?

• Some years ago I there was a web page where one could download a selection of random, isolated tracks from Genesis bootleg recordings. I think it was linked to from the old message board. The tracks ranged from early '70s all the way to the Wilson era.

One of the tracks I got from there, which I didn't really listen to for a long time afterwards, was an early recording of Twilight Alehouse. It doesn't sound like it was performed in front of an audience, so it may be a BBC session track.

What strikes me about it is that it sounds distinctly less developed than the studio version, or even the La Ferme performance from 7 March 1971 (which was not long after Steve joined the band). It only runs about 6:15, not having the 2nd chorus or the instrumental break following it. Peter doesn't go up to a higher note on the word "wine," and he does the "laughter" by himself.

Some of the guitar playing sounds like Hackett, but besides that I couldn't give an opinion as to who the drummer and guitarist are on it. Either this would be (1) a performance with Steve & Phil right after Steve joined; (2) a performance with John Mayhew & Ant; or (3) the song somehow got less developed after the La Ferme gig. None of these sound very likely to me.

Is anyone familiar with this recording, and does anyone know when it was made?

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• Is this it?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm not able to do a definite comparison at the moment, but based on the parts I can remember (particularly how "wine" is sung each time) it sounds very much like it's the same performance.

So, judging by this (as compared to the La Ferme performance and the studio version), the band shortened the song before making it longer again, and Peter changed how he sang "wine" before changing it back again. Odd.

Anyway, thanks.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• I'm not able to do a definite comparison at the moment, but based on the parts I can remember (particularly how "wine" is sung each time) it sounds very much like it's the same performance.

So, judging by this (as compared to the La Ferme performance and the studio version), the band shortened the song before making it longer again, and Peter changed how he sang "wine" before changing it back again. Odd.

Anyway, thanks.

I had a bootleg of this video back in the VHS days. It was labeled "Belgium TV" (you may be familiar with it) which makes sense since I remember the running time to be right at about 30 minutes. The session also included Salmacis, Hogweed, the Musical Box along with Alehouse. Is it possible that they used the shortened version of Alehouse to fit the 30 minute running time? (I think Hogweed was also shortened-and spelled "Geant" in the video)

My friend and I would watch this video constantly when we were teens. Somehow he managed to get his hands on 2 VCRs (unheard of in those days!) and asked if he could record it. I lent him the tape and after a day or so we got back together and he had to inform me that somehow he had erased the first several minutes of Salmacis (only the video was gone, the audio was still on the tape-not even sure how that was possible). He was completely gutted by what happened. Me too to be honest. If only we had been able to see into the future when all this stuff would be freely available on youtube...

• I had a bootleg of this video back in the VHS days. It was labeled "Belgium TV" (you may be familiar with it) which makes sense since I remember the running time to be right at about 30 minutes. The session also included Salmacis, Hogweed, the Musical Box along with Alehouse. Is it possible that they used the shortened version of Alehouse to fit the 30 minute running time? (I think Hogweed was also shortened-and spelled "Geant" in the video)

My friend and I would watch this video constantly when we were teens. Somehow he managed to get his hands on 2 VCRs (unheard of in those days!) and asked if he could record it. I lent him the tape and after a day or so we got back together and he had to inform me that somehow he had erased the first several minutes of Salmacis (only the video was gone, the audio was still on the tape-not even sure how that was possible). He was completely gutted by what happened. Me too to be honest. If only we had been able to see into the future when all this stuff would be freely available on youtube...

Think I still have this on VHS, recorded off the TV, can't remember whether BBC or ITV, probably BBC as I can't remember there being an ad break. And yes, Giant was spelt Geant.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Is it possible that they used the shortened version of Alehouse to fit the 30 minute running time?

That sounds very likely.

So the only remaining mystery is why Peter would change how "wine" was sung, only to change it back later to a way that worked better anyway...