Question about Anniversaries of Albums and Related

• Hi. I see assorted nice articles linked on the side of the site reminding us of how various Genesis albums have depending on the release date different anniversaries. Some of them have even hit 50, a rather notable anniversary or so I thought. I think, unfortunately I may know the answer to this question I shall pose but rather ask than assume. Genesis, much as I absolutely love them, are infuriating for what appears to me not giving a damn about their body of work at least with respect to releases. I see so many other artists I love, not all gigantic Rolling Stones/Beatles level bands either, putting out Super Deluxe or Anniversary editions of albums. It has been years since the boxes and even longer since the archives.

Has anyone in the past 5-ish years (so sorta recently) asked any band members or authorized representatives, whomever that may be, why they do NOT A THING for their album anniversaries or hell even when the band itself hit 50, whether you count from the first incarnation of Genesis or just when Phil first joined, both are 50+ now?

We know they have or had at The Farm tons of archive live shows. We know they had/have likely some very early stuff that didn't go on the archive boxes. I thought they would have with 50th anniversaries of albums and/or the band PLUS a farewell tour, done well something other than the very half assed greatest hits tour edition. It's bizarre to me relative to other similar sized bands hitting similar milestones, and of course most frustrating.

Just wondering if anyone actually knows an official stance on this rather than guesses or 15 year old comments from the last tour era box sets.

• Official Post

Well, the main reason is that they don't like re-issues at all. We have been in touch with the management for years trying to lobby our interests for several projects, also the baord tapes. Truth is that all three of them are not fans of rereleasing stuff again and again and are also very picky about quality (board tapes etc).

Even something like When In Rome hasn't been made available on Blu-ray yet.

Nevertheless, I am sure we can expect something in the years tio come, but just don't expect something like Pink Floyd does.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• It's very tempting and easy to compare with what other bands do and therefore wonder, well why don't Genesis do that too? But it's ultimately not a valid train of thought. As Christian says we are dealing here with a band whose members simply don't think that way.

Abandon all reason

• Well, the main reason is that they don't like re-issues at all. We have been in touch with the management for years trying to lobby our interests for several projects, also the baord tapes. Truth is that all three of them are not fans of rereleasing stuff again and again and are also very picky about quality (board tapes etc).

Even something like When In Rome hasn't been made available on Blu-ray yet.

Nevertheless, I am sure we can expect something in the years tio come, but just don't expect something like Pink Floyd does.

I can appreciate the band’s perspective on board tapes. I find many of them to be less appealing than audience bootlegs. I’m a huge fan of the 1982 tour and I can say that my least favorite recording from that tour by far is the soundboard from Saratoga Springs. It sounds like it was recorded in an empty basement with faint audience noise piped in.

• Well, the main reason is that they don't like re-issues at all. We have been in touch with the management for years trying to lobby our interests for several projects, also the baord tapes. Truth is that all three of them are not fans of rereleasing stuff again and again and are also very picky about quality (board tapes etc).

It is unfortunate that the band /management gave very strong indications that the board tapes were going to be released in some form, and then finally decided to do nothing.

They should have checked whether the quality of the recordings was up to their exacting standards before raising expectations amongst the fans.

• It is unfortunate that the band /management gave very strong indications that the board tapes were going to be released in some form, and then finally decided to do nothing.

They did that, did they? I remember it being talked about among fans but was there some kind of announcement by management?

When it was being discussed I never really expected it to actually happen as they are just not the kind of band to do stuff like that, which was why I found the archive sets so surprising. Bit if there were apparently firm moves to do these sound boards I understand some fans getting their hopes up.

Abandon all reason

• They did that, did they? I remember it being talked about among fans but was there some kind of announcement by management?

My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to recall from one of the old forums that there were regular updates about activity at The Farm with pictures of them cataloguing the sound board cassette tapes.

And there were definitely statements about how well things were progressing, likelihood of release, etc.

I was surprised at the time because I realised how reluctant they had been previously to get involved with this sort of thing.

• My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to recall from one of the old forums that there were regular updates about activity at The Farm with pictures of them cataloguing the sound board cassette tapes.

And there were definitely statements about how well things were progressing, likelihood of release, etc.

I was surprised at the time because I realised how reluctant they had been previously to get involved with this sort of thing.

I just found this article which may (or may not) clear up the question of whether the talk of the board tapes being released came from within the band’s inner circle. It’s a very long piece and I’m busy with work at the moment and gave it a quick skim. Early in the article there is some suggestion that at least preliminary work was under way on such a project.

https://theeviljam.co.uk/2011/08/20/trip-to-the-farm/

• The news that Hit and Run intended to start going through existing audio and visual material to identify recordings that might be suitable for release was first mentioned when the Genesis site was re-launched in August 2001. Here's the exact wording posted at the time:

But what will excite the thousands of Genesis fans the world over is that Hit & Run are planning a major trawl through their Sound and Video Archives in order to identify historic live recordings that may be suitable for special release. We know there is huge demand for this - we've already identified over 200 concert bootlegs of the band and the solo projects available on the Internet - and, if they are of suitable quality, we are hopeful that we can develop a release schedule in the coming months

A check back via the Internet Archive site has located this page on the former site which listed all the recordings found by 2002: Soundboard tape list

Another item from the site from around the same was a video interview with Geoff Callingham (filmed by a friend of Nick Davis) where he talked about the soundboard cassettes and some of the technical issues involved with getting them transferred. The video has been uploaded on YouTube here; the quality is not great but it gives an idea of what was happening with the tapes.

• I used to just have all the originals albums and I was more than happy with them. Then the they invented CD and released then all on that format and I was discontented with what I had and needed the CDs and then I was happy again. Then they released the definitive editions and I was unhappy with what I had and bought the new versions and I was happy again until they brought out remaster CDs in boxes which I had to have so I was happy again ish longing for the remaster vinyl which they brought out so I was then happy again. And then WAYNE here tells me there is is a a Mobile Fidelity version of ATOTT and suddenly I'm unhappy again until after best part of a year I get a copy .

I parted ways with some about 25 years ago through divorce but I have 3 to five copies of all the albums. In an effort to create a little extra space my blue label copy of Trespass was included in my clearout so am having to content myself with just, 5 copies of that and I only have 2 copies of FGTR and resisted getting fancy version of a few years ago because I don't really like it much but still wasn't easy . So currently happy and I for one don't want to see any more remixes etc of thier existing albums as I will become discontented and then poorer . And don't anyone here give me that you don't have to buy it crap!