07, 08 March 2022 | Genesis live in BERLIN | reports

• I was looking at the early Instagram.posts and they didn't sound good.

I saw a full video earlier this morning of Mama and it was much better and a couple of others.

I think when only small 15 second clips are posted... a the quality of audio and also just a snippet can not give full impression.

I still think he sounded better at the end of the last shows, but he deffiently sounds better than he did on those early first shows back in September and October

• I'm writing a review of the tour to be published later this week. Were there any changes in the setlist or other changes compared to the American shows in December?

I’m guessing there were no changes to the setlist. It seems likely some excited fan who attended the show would have posted about it already.

• Anyone else also seeing Domino as song about the Ukraine crisis? Makes me wonder why they did not point at that, perhaps it might be even too disturbing? (nothing you can do when you're the next in line...)

• Anyone else also seeing Domino as song about the Ukraine crisis? Makes me wonder why they did not point at that, perhaps it might be even too disturbing? (nothing you can do when you're the next in line...)

'Point at' it how? If you mean reference it in the intro, it's pretty unlikely they'd jarringly do that right after the lighthearted 'domino principle' intro, nor jettison the latter to make way for a Ukraine reference.

Songs can take on different meaning and significance with time, indeed you can argue it's the mark of a good song. I daresay some audience members will privately see the lyric in context of the war at the moment, it certainly does lend itself to that.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Phil spoke briefly about the situation in the Ukraine prior to Land of Confusion during the second night.

He performed better on day 2 in Berlin (and day one wasn’t bad at all) and in general the band left an enthusiastic audience.

German press was also 90% positive

• I was at the concert on March 7th. Honestly, I thought Phil's voice was worse, but he sang well instead!

The sound of the band was really powerful! A real shame, in my opinion, that they haven't played more instrumental '70s albums pieces. In the Mercedes Arena I realized, unfortunately, that people of my age know more about the '80s songs than the old ones, so, I think, that's the reason why Genesis survived through the years.

You may like it or not, but that's the way it is.

Ps: I want to thank the admin Christian because he gave correct and precise logistic information about the gigs in Berlin that was very useful, especially for a person like me who came from Italy!

• Official Post

I was at the concert on March 7th. Honestly, I thought Phil's voice was worse, but he sang well instead!

The sound of the band was really powerful! A real shame, in my opinion, that they haven't played more instrumental '70s albums pieces. In the Mercedes Arena I realized, unfortunately, that people of my age know more about the '80s songs than the old ones, so, I think, that's the reason why Genesis survived through the years.

You may like it or not, but that's the way it is.

Ps: I want to thank the admin Christian because he gave correct and precise logistic information about the gigs in Berlin that was very useful, especially for a person like me who came from Italy!

thanks. glad I could help!

regarding your other comment - my partner thought the set was pretty demanding for fans who are more into the hit stuff. There were quite a few longer and instrumental tracks....

• thanks. glad I could help!

regarding your other comment - my partner thought the set was pretty demanding for fans who are more into the hit stuff. There were quite a few longer and instrumental tracks....

I agree, especially if by "fans who are more into the hit stuff" you mean literally only into the stuff that was played regularly on pop stations, beginning with FYFM. By that measure, Behind the Lines, HBTS/SHBTS, Fading Lights, Cinema Show, Afterglow, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Duchess, Domino, DWTMK, and Carpet Crawlers are all songs that aren't familiar to the ears of the pure pop crowd.

• Official Post

Duchess from Berlin

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for sharing Christian!

I must say Phil's voice indeed really improved, especially compared to recordings of earlier legs. And he didn't forget any of the lyrics ^^
    Makes me even more excited for Amsterdam.

Just curious - a small detail I noticed in most (if not all) videos, is that he doesn't sing "sleep" in "and the sleep, and the odds" at around 3:22 min. Just curious, anybody knows why?

Software dev, drummer, audiophile and a HUGE PC and Genesis fan.

• Thanks for sharing Christian!

I must say Phil's voice indeed really improved, especially compared to recordings of earlier legs. And he didn't forget any of the lyrics ^^
    Makes me even more excited for Amsterdam.

Just curious - a small detail I noticed in most (if not all) videos, is that he doesn't sing "sleep" in "and the sleep, and the odds" at around 3:22 min. Just curious, anybody knows why?

My recollection is that he has sung “sleep” at some shows, though in a different cadence from the original version of the song. Could be leaving it out here is just an example of “vocalist license.”

• Just curious - a small detail I noticed in most (if not all) videos, is that he doesn't sing "sleep" in "and the sleep, and the odds" at around 3:22 min. Just curious, anybody knows why?

I got the impression it was a stamina/breathing issue. But on the other hand they had Jesus to the point it had visuals and could have been included, and that's super fast. So maybe just the way he prefers to do it these days 🤷‍♂️. Sounds fantastic either way

• I agree, still sounds good. It's just that my brain is automagically filling the silence.
    Much like a pop/click on a record. Once you get used to it, it's hard to unhear it.

Might also be as simple as not having printed it on his lyric sheets (during the first shows), and memorizing it this way. Either way, interesting theories.

Software dev, drummer, audiophile and a HUGE PC and Genesis fan.

• I think it is a stamina issue. The preceding line hits the top notes in the song repeatedly. So I think he is then catching his breath and can't fit in "and the sleep". He does a similar thing in the third verse, delaying when he sings "and what people might want".