In your wardrobe - what does this mean?

• ok, so I'm probably missing something really obvious but it struck me recently that I have no idea what this couplet means:

"It's getting better in your wardrobe / stepping one beyond your show"

Like, the rest of the song is quirky and surreal but it all makes sense. These lines just don't seem to connect with the rest of the lyrics. Or has it all gone completely over my head for the last 30 odd years since I first heard this song??

• Wow. I have never dared to ask about this. Part of the problem is that it is second person when perhaps first person would have made it more understandable, i.e. my wardrobe and my show, but I suppose it could be construed as addressing the listener.

• the rest of the song is quirky and surreal but it all makes sense. These lines just don't seem to connect with the rest of the lyrics.

I doubt you're missing anything obvious. This is Peter Gabriel we're talking about here, never known (certainly then) for consistent/linear lyrics. The narrator reflects on the various urgings of others to better himself which he resists, preferring to focus on his simple task of lawnmowing, and insisting he knows what he likes ie he's happy with his lot. He might be saying 'you carry on social climbing and with your quest for fancier clothes, I'm just fine' and maybe he feels they're over-reaching themselves but he's better off knowing his position and sticking to it.

Maybe. But it's equally likely PG just liked the sound, shape and flow of the words and no specific meaning was intended.

I saw Rutherford asked what this song means. He laughed and said he had no idea.

Part of the problem is that it is second person when perhaps first person would have made it more understandable, i.e. my wardrobe and my show, but I suppose it could be construed as addressing the listener.

This reminds me, in the Songbook show Chris Welch of Melody Maker and one of their most faithful devotees in the 70s music press refers to this song as "I Know What I Like In My Wardrobe". Coming from such a supporter of theirs it bugs me each time I see it!

Abandon all reason

• I always thought it tells about your clothes or shoes in your wardrobe. There's always some piece of wear you use more than others. Like an old comfy sleeping shoe, you put on just stepping into. Those are the ones you know you like and you like the ones you know. As for the newer pieces of wear, it takes some time to get used to. The chorus tries to construct a metaphor into the setlist in a show.

The verses were written with no relation.

Watchout that I'm not a native English speaker.

• Similar to others I always thought that the lawnmower, presumably Jacob, was happy to opt out of modern consumerism (this was the 70s) and adopt a rural/hippy lifestyle. He knows what he likes and he likes what he knows. He is stepping one beyond - i.e. going one better - than the lifestyle and 'show' of his critics who want him to confirm. Nowadays we might say he is authentic as opposed to their desire to put on a show with their clothes and consumer goods. So it might be getting better in their wardrobes but he's living a life that suits him. Anyway, great tune!

• Similar to others I always thought that the lawnmower, presumably Jacob, was happy to opt out of modern consumerism (this was the 70s) and adopt a rural/hippy lifestyle. He knows what he likes and he likes what he knows. He is stepping one beyond - i.e. going one better - than the lifestyle and 'show' of his critics who want him to confirm. Nowadays we might say he is authentic as opposed to their desire to put on a show with their clothes and consumer goods. So it might be getting better in their wardrobes but he's living a life that suits him. Anyway, great tune!

Is this slightly ironic given Peter's use of costumes during this period?

• I saw an interview with Tony Banks where he said he was never happy with that line as "nobody knows what it means".

I always took the entire song to be about a man who's happy with his lot, employed to tend the grounds at the local park and specifically to mow the grass. And he is OK with that....has no desire to heed the advice of those around him who urge him to do "better" jobs and to climb that social ladder. He's happy where he is. "getting better in your wardrobe" could be a reference to the rather vapid pursuit of fashion clothing or simply refer to skillsets. He knows what he likes, and he likes what he knows....you can "better" yourselves if you want but you may end up less happy than him.