King Crimson

• While some people might make such a claim and it would instantly raise my suspicions, I have to say that upon reading your account all I felt was envy! You sat next to Phil Collins at a Peter Gabriel gig and then spoke to Robert Fripp. That makes you a sainted man in my eyes.

Why thank you! I had a bit of a chat with PC without him running off.

Abandon all reason

• As a guitarist, technically, I feel that having watched him play, he may very well be the best there is, BUT, like Moraz or Mariah Carey, he does not appreciate what musicality really is, he does not understand "less is more". While he can deliver real beauty in stuff like "Starless", "North Star", the 2 tracks he contributed to on Midge Ure's "Breathe", or Heroes, he can then turn in pointless drivel like the whole of the "League of Gentlemen" album.

He can be very fussy and fiddly but equally can be brilliantly economical and sparse, and can also write beautiful pieces of music like Song Of The Gulls. Looking at his career to date, I can't possibly agree with the notion he doesn't appreciate what musicality is, any more than I could agree with the idea of even defining "musicality" in the first place.

Abandon all reason

• I spoke to Steve Hackett...:P

and he did not runaway!! ;)  ^^

I didn't speak to Steve Hackett, and he didn't run away. Instead, he went to get some jam or chutney or something.

It was in M&S in Twickenham about 2 years ago. I found him stood next to me, he was with who I presumed was his wife. They were discussing boxes of chocolates and after some deliberation selected a very luxurious looking big box. It was called Kings and Angels or something similarly hyperbolic, I remember thinking it could be the title of one of his albums.

He added it to the carton of milk in his basket and they headed off in the direction of pickles and preserves.

Abandon all reason

• I didn't speak to Steve Hackett, and he didn't run away. Instead, he went to get some jam or chutney or something.

It was in M&S in Twickenham about 2 years ago. I found him stood next to me, he was with who I presumed was his wife. They were discussing boxes of chocolates and after some deliberation selected a very luxurious looking big box. It was called Kings and Angels or something similarly hyperbolic, I remember thinking it could be the title of one of his albums.

He added it to the carton of milk in his basket and they headed off in the direction of pickles and preserves.

I remember this story from the old forum, but you had a different UserID then.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Oh yes, so you were, joined the old forum 25 Sept 2014. You saw him on Sept 9th last year! 8)

Blimey this is like one of those films where someone gets freaked out by a spook they've never met before saying stuff like "How is life at Flat 3 Sycamore House? Pity if anything happened to it just after you've redecorated the kitchen and the second bedroom.... I'm sure it would upset your partner Sophie, your daughter Amanda, your spaniel Wilson and Kramer the tabby..."

I had no idea I joined as early as that or that my Hackett encounter was as recent as just last year! I'd added a whole other year.

The chocs will still be past their use-by so I hope they enjoyed them.

Abandon all reason

• Blimey this is like one of those films where someone gets freaked out by a spook they've never met before saying stuff like "How is life at Flat 3 Sycamore House? Pity if anything happened to it just after you've redecorated the kitchen and the second bedroom.... I'm sure it would upset your partner Sophie, your daughter Amanda, your spaniel Wilson and Kramer the tabby..."

I had no idea I joined as early as that or that my Hackett encounter was as recent as just last year! I'd added a whole other year.

The chocs will still be past their use-by so I hope they enjoyed them.

A chocolate surprise, they've gone off! ;(

Incidentally, (most of) the old forum is available as a download if you haven't already done it, see Conforums Archive

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Prog News has a feature on Crimson - it can be ordered from Burning Shed but at time of posting they are out of stock; on the link you can sign up for email alert when they re-stock.

I can't believe how quickly the year has gone - my KC Scottish double-header is just next week! Glasgow Monday 12th, Edinburgh Tuesday 13th. I've booked myself a whole extra day in Edinburgh to enjoy my favourite city, including treating myself at one of its Michelin-starred restaurants.

Abandon all reason

• I saw them last weekend in London. Really good show.

...and I just got my pre-sale ticket to see them next September at Radio City Music Hall in NYC! 8)

This will be the first time I have seen them since at least 2006, possibly as long as 2002. I'm looking forward to it!

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• This show has now happened, hasn't it? If so, how was it?

Indeed it was last week and I ended up going to the first and last of the three shows. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Since they started touring again in 2015 I've seen them 6 times and the shows have all been excellent. The two Scotland ones last autumn probably edge it but London last week was superb. Over the 4 years of touring they've gone from almost exclusively 70s material to a mix of 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and new stuff that works really well.

At the end of the final gig, Fripp uncharacteristically remained on stage after the curtain call when everyone else had left. For such an impassive man it was the closest I've seen him get to looking anything like emotional. It wasn't the last gig of the tour by some way but it was the final UK gig. It being their 50th anniversary perhaps he's finally knocking it on the head after this.

If so, I'm very glad I got to see this extraordinary, unique band.

Abandon all reason

• Indeed it was last week and I ended up going to the first and last of the three shows. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Since they started touring again in 2015 I've seen them 6 times and the shows have all been excellent. The two Scotland ones last autumn probably edge it but London last week was superb. Over the 4 years of touring they've gone from almost exclusively 70s material to a mix of 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and new stuff that works really well.

At the end of the final gig, Fripp uncharacteristically remained on stage after the curtain call when everyone else had left. For such an impassive man it was the closest I've seen him get to looking anything like emotional. It wasn't the last gig of the tour by some way but it was the final UK gig. It being their 50th anniversary perhaps he's finally knocking it on the head after this.

If so, I'm very glad I got to see this extraordinary, unique band.

That is great to hear - I'm glad you had such a good time! 8)

I can't wait for my show in NYC even more now...

• That is great to hear - I'm glad you had such a good time! 8)

I can't wait for my show in NYC even more now...

...and my show has happened.

Good lord...to use a UK term, this show was an absolute blinder! I have seen them many times over the past 23 years; however, last night's show at Radio City Music Hall was the best show I have ever seen them do, and I have seen many other spectacular shows of theirs (although this was the first I have seen with the 3-drummer lineup).

I was so impressed that I am very seriously thinking of going to the Philadelphia show tomorrow night. I have to see that performance again. They are mixing up the setlist really well too, as previous reviewers have said. I never thought I would hear "Islands", "Cat Food", "Moonchild" (among others) in the set.

If this is a retirement tour, it's absolutely stellar. However, with their playing so well, I can't see how it can be. They are just playing too well. In all seriousness, last night's show was the best I have seen from them - it was jaw-droppingly good. The perfect sound in Radio City just made the experience even sweeter. If I make it to Philly tomorrow night, I'll let you know.

If you can go to any of the remaining shows, do so - you would only thank yourself later.

• Great review, good to hear you enjoyed it so much. Yes if you're able to, see the other show. This is a band and tour that stand up well to seeing more than one show, partly due to the daily set list changes as you said.

I mentioned earlier Fripp's "rule" that 'all the music is new, regardless of when it was written'. It's an excellent guiding principle and it really shows on this tour. Songs I wasn't keen on before such as The Letters, Islands and Moonchild have been brought to life and sound completely fresh.

It's interesting you used the word 'spectacular' - the band sit or stand, don't move much, don't speak and there is no light show as such, and one single colour shift. Yet you're right, it's a spectacular show.

They're obviously a difficult band for many and it's clear even some of the proggers here find them challenging, and I totally get that. But if you are able to get to one of the shows and willing to give it a try, do. It'll be a gig unlike any you've seen before.

Abandon all reason

• Yes, I would give the same advice - that is, even if you are lukewarm on KC overall, this current touring band playing this wide a variety from the back catalogue (and playing it this well) would have to delight virtually anyone with ears, especially those who like progressive music.

The one color shift was one of the coolest parts of the show, during what is probably my favorite song of theirs. It’s funny how the show is interesting to watch, even though bodies are relatively stationary - I guess I should say “torsos” instead; fingers, hands, arms, and feet are moving aplenty.

There is already scuttlebutt about their touring into next year - good...the way the tour is going, there’s every reason to continue it.