You have enough time to listen to one Genesis song. Which one do you choose?

• It's not exactly the same as your 'favourite' Genesis song because that's really hard. And kind of senseless. Forgive me if there's another thread, I couldn't find anything on a cursory scan.

But you have ten, or fifteen minutes or whatever, and you get to listen to only one Genesis song. What do you go for?

I'd choose Home By The Sea. Good headphones, turned up loud. Stunning.

• A scenario where I had just enough time to play a single song before heading out the door was something I might have regularly encountered in my youth when my music collection was on vinyl (these days, I just bring a few CDs, hop in the car and my music travels with me).

But back then, I remember often during my lunch hours, being home from school, no one else in the house and before heading back to class, wanting to blast off with one more song.

Frequently, I opted for the most convenient choice because it was on an EP and it was a song I loved for its great build-up. No need to search and carefully place the needle between the grooves. Just put on Side 2 of Spot The Pigeon and then up the volume to a level that would have outraged my parents if they were home.

• A scenario where I had just enough time to play a single song before heading out the door was something I might have regularly encountered in my youth when my music collection was on vinyl (these days, I just bring a few CDs, hop in the car and my music travels with me).

But back then, I remember often during my lunch hours, being home from school, no one else in the house and before heading back to class, wanting to blast off with one more song.

Frequently, I opted for the most convenient choice because it was on an EP and it was a song I loved for its great build-up. No need to search and carefully place the needle between the grooves. Just put on Side 2 of Spot The Pigeon and then up the volume to a level that would have outraged my parents if they were home.

You've reminded me, back in my teenage schooldays in this sort of scenario I'd put on the other "and out" - ie Down. Like you, at high volume. It excited me back then and is still a big favourite for me now. And of course was a convenient quick-play one - needle down at the start of the album, no faffing.

Abandon all reason

• My perfection moment is the original Shrine bootleg of...

Lillywhite Lilith followed by The Waiting Room followed by Supernatural Anaesthetist.

Lillywhite has that buzzy feedback after 20 seconds. PCs off kilter snare drum on the closing bars of Lillywhite. I have got myself going so I am about to hunt for the version on Spotify.

But remember folks... Alas, the cleaned up version is NOTHING compared to the buzzy bootleg.

• It's not exactly the same as your 'favourite' Genesis song because that's really hard. And kind of senseless. Forgive me if there's another thread, I couldn't find anything on a cursory scan.

But you have ten, or fifteen minutes or whatever, and you get to listen to only one Genesis song. What do you go for?

I'd choose Home By The Sea. Good headphones, turned up loud. Stunning.

Ditto.

But HBTS is my favourite Genesis song, so I'm allowed to choose another, and in my current mood it would be Dancing With The Moonlit Knight.

• For me, Genesis have produced tons of 9/10 pieces but my 10/10 picks are-

The Musical Box

Suppers Ready (Seconds Out version)

Firth of Firth

Fly on a Windshield / Broadway Melody

Los Endos

Entangled

Blood on the Rooftops

If I could choose only one it would be Suppers Ready. Predictable, but it’s a masterpiece.