San Jacinto influenced by Steve Reich?

• I was just randomly listening to suggestions on YouTube and selected Steve Reich's Variations for Winds, Strings, and Keyboards. I was struck how much the beginning reminded me of San Jacinto. I wonder if Gabriel was directly influenced by this piece. I believe he has cited Reich as an influence in general, though I don't know of any specific mention of this piece and San Jacinto.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I kind of see what you mean, there's some similarity to this in SJ's main motif. But as I understand it the Reich was performed live in 1980 but not commercially released til 84, two years after SJ's release. Though it's of course not impossible PG saw the 1980 performance. It would have had to coincide with any US leg of his 1980 tour - offhand I can't recall the dates other that he was touring the UK in March.

EDIT: You got me thinking, I just checked dates - he started the US leg of the tour mid-June in CA, a month after the full live premier of the Reich in CA. So if PG was already there in May rehearsing, he might well have seen it.

Whatever the case and SJ's provenance, what a superb song it is. It's my usual choice if asked what my favourite PG track is. On the Still Growing Up tour it was beautiful.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• EDIT: You got me thinking, I just checked dates - he started the US leg of the tour mid-June in CA, a month after the full live premier of the Reich in CA. So if PG was already there in May rehearsing, he might well have seen it.

Whatever the case and SJ's provenance, what a superb song it is. It's my usual choice if asked what my favourite PG track is. On the Still Growing Up tour it was beautiful.

So it sounds like he might have been able to hear it before he was working on San Jacinto. Or maybe it is just a coincidence.

PG once said No Self Control was inspired by Music for 18 Musicians. You can hear it, too.

Definitely the "ah, ah, ah, ah..." parts for sure. Music for 18 Musicians is my favourite Reich piece. I saw it live a few years ago with him in attendance (he participated in another shorter piece).