• Wonder if there are any other fans here?

He's a polarizing artist. I think the commonest accusation is that he's boring. He's not, I think. He had a boring phase after Play when everyone knew him and his music, and therefore he was thought of as boring. But before that he made genuinely interesting 90s dance music and flirted with heavy metal.

There is something off about him that I acknowledge. He over hypes his experiences somehow which makes him seem like a fake I guess. He seems sometimes to hang off more genuine stars like David Bowie, David Lynch, Lou Reed etc. And he had that stupid thing with Natalie Portman.

And despite that he made brilliant music in the 90s before anyone knew him, and before he knew anyone. He became a true star in '95 with Everything Is Wrong and gave it up to tour Europe in a tiny van and play in empty small clubs because he wanted to make rock music instead of dance music. Then he made Play.

Idk, a strange person. I like most of his music, love some of it esp the 90s stuff. I also saw him in 2001 at a festival he was trying to mount called area:1. I think Roots played. It was a brilliant day. He came on last of course. Someone fired a message on stage asking if they could come up there. He read it out and said something along the lines of "yeah, that'd be great, I'd actually love if you could come up here, but unfortunately I probably wouldn't be allowed..." and he blabbed on for a little and then stopped and said "you know what, you can't come up here but I can go down there" and he ran and leaped off the stage into this huge crowd. Security were clearly caught off guard and freaked out. They had to wade into the crowd and rescue this little creature being held aloft. He went back up on stage to massive, massive cheers. The two people I was with knew nothing of him before the gig and were stone cold fans after.

Here's one of my favorite early 90s dance club songs Besame:

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here's grungy That's When I Reach For My Revolver:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And this is just beautiful and spacey, Hymn:

• First 2 videos are not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

However, I do like the third video you sent called Hymn:!....8):thumbup:

To your question, I'm not a fan as I've only just heard of the name Moby.

• Official Post

I have followed Moby since the 90ies. He was part of the soundtrack of my time as a student. I partly lost interest. After Wait For Me, his albums were quite boring.

Nevertheless, I'm still quite stunned what he did on Reprise. Although he took away a lot of that feeling from the past, his new versions are really touching, especially The Lonely Night

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Definitely I'm a fan. Got into his music with Play . I only have a few albums and Play is the absolute best for me. one of my favourite albums by anyone. Never paid enough attention to know about any polarising split of his fans , but should have guessed. (Maybe all artists have that. The good ones anyway.)! After I bought Play I loved it so much I had to get some more of his stuff . Randomly bought Animal Rights but wasn't keen at all. However I bought 18 and Hotel and unlike yourself love both though I feel I have enough of his stuff now. I'll give animal rights another go ,haven't listened to it for years. Saw him a couple of times . Once at the Old Birmingham Academy. Very good. The other I'll never forget . At the Other Stage at Glastonbury, must've been late 90s getting there partway through his set as the ambient music boomed out across the field with the sunsetting behind. Quite magical.

• First 2 videos are not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

However, I do like the third video you sent called Hymn:!....8):thumbup:

You should definitely check out God Moving Over the Face of the Waters then. Another track from the same album. It plays over the final scene of the movie Heat.

Actually his music got used a lot in movies and TV. One of my favorite scenes ever was in The X Files when Mulder 'finds' his sister in an ethereal scene of lost children and angels playing or something. My Weakness from Play is playing over it to great emotional effect.

I have followed Moby since the 90ies. He was part of the soundtrack of my time as a student. I partly lost interest. After Wait For Me, his albums were quite boring.

Nevertheless, I'm still quite stunned what he did on Reprise. Although he took away a lot of that feeling from the past, his new versions are really touching, especially The Lonely Night

Yes, he definitely made good stuff up to Wait For Me, and that album was quite good as I recall. I also loved the disco one he put out, may have been called Last Night. That got a LOT of play on nights out around that time!

18 and Hotel and unlike yourself love both

I should clarify, I actually quite like a lot of the songs on those albums. But the overall sound was lacking a little edginess and I think since they came out when he was a megastar, it led to the impression that he was a middle of the road kind of guy. I don't think he is given his other output.

My favorite release was the Play B Sides. I remember particularly loving a tune called Running. And Flying Foxes too.

• Maybe middle of the road but I really like those dreamy ambient sounds and the rythmic repetitive stuff like Honey

and Find My Baby..I can see what you mean though after having Play 18 and Hotel I felt there wasn't anything else needed so never really have anything else much a go. This though is one of my favourite videos.

External Content youtu.be