GENESIS live in Los Angeles 1992 - videos

• Official Post

Two videos have surfaced from the 1992 LOS ANGELES gig:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Cool videos. I enjoyed this tour a lot, honestly, even if we know that Phil and the band were just about nearing the end of the line. I actually prefer it to the IT era. The Old Medley had some great selections and was a nice change of pace from the "In the Cage" variations, and I loved the trio only "Fading Lights" jam.

• I have a very soft spot for this tour, as even though I didn't go to a show for being too young, I love WCD and felt to some extent like I was "there" in that I was a massive fan of the band and all their music by the time the tour video came out. I watched my vhs of that tour until it was badly worn. Loved the visuals and selections. I also read that the IT tour video was at the end of a long tour leading to the band seeming tired, while the WCD one was much earlier in the tour and they seemed fresher.

But oh the folly of cutting TTT in half!

Also in hindsight, they were really so young despite having been around seemingly forever. It's a pity they went away.

• I have a very soft spot for this tour, as even though I didn't go to a show for being too young, I love WCD and felt to some extent like I was "there" in that I was a massive fan of the band and all their music by the time the tour video came out. I watched my vhs of that tour until it was badly worn. Loved the visuals and selections. I also read that the IT tour video was at the end of a long tour leading to the band seeming tired, while the WCD one was much earlier in the tour and they seemed fresher.

But oh the folly of cutting TTT in half!

Also in hindsight, they were really so young despite having been around seemingly forever. It's a pity they went away.

True that about cutting TTT in half. Such a shame. I read an interview with Tony somewhere a while back in which he described the keyboard solo as being “deceptively difficult” (or some such language) to play. I’ve always suspected that explains the song never being played in full since the IT tour, rather like the piano intro to FOF was never played after the SEBTP tour.

• Cool to see additional footage from this tour.

I had seats in the 8th row for the Toronto show (which I got after demonstrating to a local radio show how I Can't Dance). The trio performance of Fading Lights was magical. And the opening seconds of Old Medley was so dramatic, especially with the first crashing chord and spine-shaking bass pedals. The only thing that felt lame was the Drum Duet end without going into Los Endos.

• True that about cutting TTT in half. Such a shame. I read an interview with Tony somewhere a while back in which he described the keyboard solo as being “deceptively difficult” (or some such language) to play.

That's interesting. I remember one of them saying they didn't like the instrumental very much, so I assumed that was behind their dropping it. I'm with the "shame they cut it" team. That section has a nice ethereal feel of a kind they didn't do much and i liked it. Then the build-up into "You keep telling me..." - great stuff, especially on stage on the IT tour.

Abandon all reason

• That's interesting. I remember one of them saying they didn't like the instrumental very much, so I assumed that was behind their dropping it. I'm with the "shame they cut it" team. That section has a nice ethereal feel of a kind they didn't do much and i liked it. Then the build-up into "You keep telling me..." - great stuff, especially on stage on the IT tour.

Yeah, both Mike and Tony have said that the instrumental part was weaker than other long songs they had, so they dropped it.

Personally I always loved the full version.

I love the full version of Abacab also, which they dropped after IT Tour., which is a shame as it has so much energy.

He described the keyboard solo as being “deceptively difficult”.

Funny, because it's not the hardest solo to play, in terms of dexterity. Firth of Fifth, Robbery... are much harder.

I think the main difficulty was to quickly change presets (between strings and oboe), without any mistake. The same goes for Domino. Technically not too difficult, but there is a ton of program changes, MIDI zones... At least with the equipment he had at the time. For example, on the "Do you know what you have done" bit, he is playing three sounds at the same time : pad chords with his left hand, and two simultaneous sounds with his right hand : the melody with the kind-of-synth-voice sound, but also some marimba counterpoint, very discreet. I never figured out how he was doing it live. I watched it several times, and there is some note overlapping between the two sounds. So I think he was changing presets while playing, with a pedal or something. So, not that easy. You have to think about everything : "Ok, second time now, D major, that chord, ok, that sound, ok it's working, that melody, ok, now press the pedal, thank God the Emulator didn't crash, now I have to turn left, to switch the Synclavier on, phew it's working, geez Phil, watch your lyrics ! Shit I forgot to check my effect unit..."

And that for 2,5 hour...

• I think the main difficulty was to quickly change presets (between strings and oboe), without any mistake. The same goes for Domino. Technically not too difficult, but there is a ton of program changes, MIDI zones... At least with the equipment he had at the time.

It's interesting watching him switch between the different sounds on the IT tour Wembley dvd during that solo, they actually seem to overlap with each other.

Is it during the rehearsal scenes on Come Rain where he gestures at the keyboard and (in reference to Domino) says "It takes up a lot of space"?

Abandon all reason

Is it during the rehearsal scenes on Come Rain where he gestures at the keyboard and (in reference to Domino) says "It takes up a lot of space"?

I think it was in reference to all the "long songs", which Tony finds long in both time and keyboard space.

For Domino specifically, I think It's this passage :

• You said it. I skip the drum duet whenever I listen to a live recording of any gig from this tour (on my phone, I actually excluded it from the rest of the Way We Walk live album) - it doesn't sound good on its own, especially without "Los Endos". Then again, I never really cared all that much for the DDs ever since "Dance on a Volcano" was cut out of the end-of-show medley following the end of the Abacab tour (DOAV > DD > LE). Apparently, from what I understand, even the band themselves are a bit stunned by this decision according to the DVD commentary of the W3 live video (Phil seems to express surprise that the DD just abruptly ends and asks what happened to LE).

• Apparently, from what I understand, even the band themselves are a bit stunned by this decision according to the DVD commentary of the W3 live video (Phil seems to express surprise that the DD just abruptly ends and asks what happened to LE).

They're just messing about on that commentary, their remarks aren't to be taken seriously.

Abandon all reason