Resentment towards Peter Gabriel on Facebook

• Official Post

I wouldn't takte that too serioiusly.

It's probably due to his slow working habit and the lack of a new album with new music for 20 years. It always maked me wonder why fans think musicians owe them something. It's up to them to record music or not.

Fun Fact: Genesis haven't recorded anything since 1997, so ...

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Can someone explain why there is so much resentment on the Genesis Facebook page towards Peter Gabriel lately?

Not being on FB, I haven't seen this. What's being said?

It always maked me wonder why fans think musicians owe them something. It's up to them to record music or not.

I agree about fan entitlement, though there's nothing wrong with fans feeling perhaps frustrated at his inertia. During these years when, apart from the occasional individual new track, he's focused on retreading old ground in various ways I can't deny it slightly saddens me to see an innovative creative artist concentrate on re-heating old material. But as I say, that feeling is borne of frustration rather than any kind of resentment or a sense of "he owes us a new album!"

It's an interesting illustration of the artist-fan relationship. An artist creates stuff and puts it out there, and it then becomes a case of whether people like and go along with it. If they do, and like getting more of it, they're fans. Ultimately yes, that artist can choose to stop doing it and that (you hope) is entirely their decision. But if that relationship has been established the fans can then feel a bit cut-off and adrift when the material stops. Sometimes that feeling can be expressed as resentment. I don't agree with it but it's how it sometimes emerges. I want PG to do a new album but it is indeed up to him! If he hasn't felt ready to do one or maybe even is past doing albums, that'd be a shame but so be it.

We're on a board for fans of a band that have had an interesting relationship with its followers. I sometimes see that sense of entitlement coming out in what some here say about the band's changes of style, a kind of resentment of the way their music progressed and a sense of the band letting them down because they stopped doing the kind of stuff those fans preferred.

Abandon all reason

But if that relationship has been established the fans can then feel a bit cut-off and adrift when the material stops. Sometimes that feeling can be expressed as resentment. I don't agree with it but it's how it sometimes emerges. I want PG to do a new album but it is indeed up to him! If he hasn't felt ready to do one or maybe even is past doing albums, that'd be a shame but so be it.

I don't think it's necessarily so much about fans getting cut off and demanding more.

If fans are a bit irked, it's likely due to getting teased with the prospect of a new album, which we were initially told was coming out in 2004 - and then having that release pushed back, other projects being given priority, and now we're at a point where most fans are grudgingly resigned to PG never releasing another album of new material ever.

I can't comment directly on what's been posted on Facebook because I haven't seen it.

• If fans are a bit irked, it's likely due to getting teased with the prospect of a new album, which we were initially told was coming out in 2004

This too, for certain. It even had a title - I/O. Naming it added to the feeling it was imminent. I wonder, if he actually does a new album will it still be called that?!

Does anyone else remember the plan (around 2008?) to do a stripped-back album and tour with just PG, Danny Thompson and Jed Lynch? I'm sure I didn't imagine that and I remember discussing it with another fan and our both liking the prospect a lot.

Of course his next move was the polar opposite, doing an album and tour with an orchestra!

Abandon all reason

• This too, for certain. It even had a title - I/O. Naming it added to the feeling it was imminent. I wonder, if he actually does a new album will it still be called that?!

If I recall correctly - and I may not - there was talk that the album had largely been recorded and would be released within 12 months of Up or something. Clearly remember it being called I/O too. I was very excited at the time, because when Up came out I loved it. I still do but obviously going on 20 years the fervour toward a new album has long cooled.

Interesting discussion about fans and artists. I feel more of a sadness when artists I'm a fan of stop apparently prematurely or for some reason I perceive to be "not good enough". We are prone to taking things personally even when we are talking about two total strangers! I guess the artistic output and ones love of it creates some simulacrum of a one-way relationship, but it's in no way personal.

• Not being on FB, I haven't seen this. What's being said?

Like, Peter never liked Genesis, he never cared about the band, there is zero chance he will go see them in London etc etc

Even when you point out that Peter had said he was going to the London show that got cancelled, they deny it.

Just seems there are a certain few that are very Anti Peter on there lately.