Your first ever Genesis concert was ...

• Gotta say, your "attitude" over the last few days on here has not endeared you to me, your avatar seems to fit you pretty well. Since you seem to think you have a monopoly on being right, might I suggest a listen to Billy Joel's "Shades of Grey" And perhaps a little thought for others opinions before hitting the "send" button?

I think you can block users on here, you know. Just hit that button and you won't have to be upset by any more of my posts.

• I think you can block users on here, you know. Just hit that button and you won't have to be upset by any more of my posts.

Upset? I think you have misunderstood. Besides, even if I did block you, others would still have to see them. I guess it's the "moderator" in me, If I saw a troublemaker of the old forum, I dealt with it. It's what made Krissy pick me, since I saw her discussion over mod choices post-promotion.

Regardless, "Hackett-era" is a well-used and long established term on Genesis forums, and it certainly encompasses a "sound" far more than "Gabriel era" does. Quite apart from the fact that he did do quite a bit of composing (Far more than Phil) his arrangement input was a big influence, you only have to (force yourself) to listen to ATTWT to hear that. ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Era's are born from opinions, they become the defacto label to describe a period in time when more than one person is in agreement. With Genesis there are many era's and some have more than one person in agreement about them as such.

I have to recognise all era's as part of being the ambassador of The Genesis Archive, there are era's being dreamt up and born as we speak. In the end its not important to get bogged down as such.

As for moderator auditions, I was not aware any were taking in place. During my last conversation with Christian it's likely to stay as Christian / Krissy for the moment.

Meanwhile, this thread has derailed. To get it back on track, I have never actually seen Genesis live. To some this makes me a lesser fan, alas there is a technicality that I saw Genesis live in the live broadcast from Dusseldorf in a Cinema in Leicester, England.

As for Genesis, lets get on into the other threads... there's plenty to discuss.. Fisher Lane Farm and Steve's Goldtop amongst many other subjects.

Regards

Mark

• You're right, there are no mod auditions, but I know who Krissy will opt for, based, in particular, over the last 9 months or so of the old forum. Not conceit, just evidence based fact, assuming she saved the mod section posts in the site-rip.

We share something, however, I've never seen Genesis live either, by the time I became a fan, Steve had left and I was never a big 3 man era (Oops, I did it again!) fan, so didn't bother, though Sealand/Deeside 1982 would have been an easy reach. I don't think it makes you less of a fan, unless you are Dr. Who! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Ian, thank you for that... yeah Deeside 1982... I believe there is a half decent bootleg from that show somewhere.

My first gig was Phil Collins in 97, then Steve Hackett in 2003 and then Peter Gabriel in 2004, Mike & The Mechanics in 2004 also. So from that I have made sure I was busy.

I can understand for some why the 3 man era was a turn off.

Onwards and upwards...

Regards

Mark

• Feb. 23rd, 1977 at Madison Square Garden. The first time the boys played the big arena and I was hooked for life. 8)

Just an amazing show from the fist notes of Squonk til hearing Ethel Merman singing the exit tune while we sat back in our seats in total awe of what we just witnessed.

Ha! Beat you by two days... ^^

Feb. 21, 1977, Kitchener ON

• Ha! Beat you by two days... ^^

Feb. 21, 1977, Kitchener ON

Haha. I remember we talked about that tour being both of our first shows but I didn't remember if your show was before mine or not. I knew it was right around the same time but once again, Tip of the cap for getting them first. :thumbup: We both got Sqounk to open too! 8) Talk about flashbacks.

• My first post here. Have been an avid fan since my early teens and have seen every tour since Duke, including Six of the Best when Peter and Steve were again on stage as Genesis.

I also saw them twice on the 2007 tour. The concert in Manchester UK was somewhat ruined for me by a large group of “oiks” that we’re sitting in front of us and seemed more intent on trying to start fights with other fans until finally security removed some of them. Knowing this might be the last tour, and not wanting to have that as potentially my final live memory, I managed to buy a ticket for Madison Square Garden. In fact I accidentally and rather expensively managed to buy three. So I travelled to New York and then stood outside MSG expecting sell the other two. But then these two young ladies came along, desperate to buy tickets, but unable to afford the asking price of the touts. So after watching a while and realising they were real fans desperate to see the band, I walked up to them in front of a tout and asked if they’ve wanted tickets to see Genesis. They said “yes, but how much”. I said “for nothing”, thrust the two tickets in their hands and walked away. The tout looked furious, the girls looked incredulous, and I had a huge smile on my face.

Of course I saw them later inside the venue as their tickets were just behind mine. It was amazing to watch two young fans see Genesis for the first, and possibly last time. After the show finished, they took me out for a few drinks in New York and we talked about the show and life. We hugged and I left and I never saw them again. I wonder if they are still Genesis fans today. I’d love to think I might have contributed in some way to them being lifelong fans.

I still can’t help but feel sad to think I will never see Genesis live again. I love all “eras” of Genesis, although musically the true Prog Rock music is probably my favourite genre. However, for me, part of the beauty of Genesis is how they have not stood still but have continued to evolve as the individuals have matured and diversified as musicians and writers. And I can also find the Prog Rock influences somewhere on most of the later albums in any event.

• I really enjoyed your MSG story.

I also went to Manc and luckily didn't have any yobboiks near me.

Abandon all reason

• Another attendee from the Manchester gig here. We saw the fracas from where we were sat and were suitably disgusted.

Apparently the boozed up morons said they didn't even like Genesis, that they'd just showed up to kick off.

• First show was Exhibition Stadium in Toronto in 1986. I remember being particularly excited when I realized they had switched into the full In That Quiet Earth after In the Cage (was expecting the usual segue into Cinema Show). When they switched into Apocalypse in 9/8, I remember being one of the few in my area of the stands who was over the moon. Sadly, many people seemed mystified and then uninterested.

• First (and sadly only) concert was Pittsburgh in 2007. What a show, though. Great balance between the hits and longer numbers like Domino, Home by the Sea and In the Cage. They even threw in Ripples.

• I wish I could’ve seen them. I’m 27 and definitely missed the boat on being able to see them although I did see Peter Gabriel play with Sting at the Hollywood Bowl in 2016! I do hope for a Genesis reunion with the Phil, Mike, and Tony even though Phil can’t play drums anymore.

Edited once, last by JDH ().

• My first Genesis show was at Guildford Civic Hall (as it was then...) for one of the warm up gigs on the Duke Tour in 1980. Fantastic memories of seeing then first in such an intimate setting. Phil had a few issues with his voice that night so they played around with the set a bit. I managed to see them later at Brighton and Hammersmith (twice) on the same tour. Those were the days of cheap concert tickets and fairly easy to buy. Members of their fan club had fantastic access to tickets back then! Nice memories....

• Regardless, "Hackett-era" is a well-used and long established term on Genesis forums, and it certainly encompasses a "sound" far more than "Gabriel era" does. Quite apart from the fact that he did do quite a bit of composing (Far more than Phil) his arrangement input was a big influence, you only have to (force yourself) to listen to ATTWT to hear that. ;)

I am so itching to have a thread about this Ian, there are really too many inaccuracies for such a short post and again ATTW3 is used as quite shaky evidence and article of faith at the same time…..Again, Inaccurately. It would be nice to discuss this, not because I think I can change your mind, it seems to me you are not willing to come out of your fan corner and but I would like to see how fans generally feel about this particular topic and perhaps put to rest some urban legends about the Hackett era, an urban legend itself imo, unless the concept isn't restricted to his tenure in the band. I hardly agree with SCD and with his style, less so with his manners but unfortunately, I think he had a valid point here, one that could not be belabored adequately due to how he was handling it.

Perhaps we wait a little, it could be the Forum in general is still recovering from recent events and the mood might be affected. Someday though.....

Edited 2 times, last by Fabrizio ().

• My first Genesis show was at Guildford Civic Hall (as it was then...) for one of the warm up gigs on the Duke Tour in 1980. Fantastic memories of seeing then first in such an intimate setting. Phil had a few issues with his voice that night so they played around with the set a bit. I managed to see them later at Brighton and Hammersmith (twice) on the same tour. Those were the days of cheap concert tickets and fairly easy to buy. Members of their fan club had fantastic access to tickets back then! Nice memories....

Were there 'warm-up' gigs as such?

I remember feeling a bit 'cheated' when the tour went on sale. My brother had been to 3 or 4 gigs including the famous The Rainbow and Earls Court 77 ones, and Knebworth 78. He'd seen the spectacular laser displays and the giant mirrors. The 14-year-old me was hoping to see all that big stuff so when it was announced they'd be playing small halls and theatres with a massively cut-down stage show I was a tad miffed! Of course I'd now be blown away by a band of that stature doing that. (My one time seeing the Stones, was 2003, at the now sadly demolished 1500-capacity London Astoria).

Yeah I remember the PC voice scare, there were rumours of laryngitis and cancelled dates. At the first Hammersmith gig he said "Some of you thought I wasn't going to be here, didn't you? But I am."

Regarding the Fan Club, I also remember some controversy over their snaffling all the tickets for one of the gigs - Birmingham Odeon or Liverpool Empire? There was a real kerfuffle, some say furore, possibly even a brouhaha, about it.

Abandon all reason