Your first ever Genesis concert was ...

• I am so itching to have a thread about this

Perhaps we wait a little, it could be the Forum in general is still recovering from recent events and the mood might be affected. Someday though.....

What events? What recovering?

Why wait - start the thread. It'd potentially be an interesting one.

Abandon all reason

• What events? What recovering?

Why wait - start the thread. It'd potentially be an interesting one.

I thought I'd just wait for things to simmer down, there's been a bit of conflict lately, I confess StllcanDance went several bridges too far for my taste.

Plus, I am bad at starting threads, the self-consciousness of the non-native speaker I guess. Ian doesn't worry me, he is a die-hard Steve's fan but also a gentleman, I am sure the discussion can be stimulating, animated but civil but then I have to read stuff from others, like Steve being almost a hired musician at Daryl's level that I find both disheartening and absurd. Yes, it might be interesting and I might get around to it, I only have to strike the right tone.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• Montreal, Canada - Le Centre Sportif - Universite de Montreal - NOV 1973

I was young and very curious to see them; had never heard a single song by the band but was so impressed but the pictures I saw on a local french rock newspaper of the multiple Peter Gabriel masks, especially the Watcher of the Skies wings and cape told me "I have to see them Live!"

When the show ended, I thought "man, all those people who did not come have missed the most incredible and amazing show of the year!"

The Musical Box does a great rendition of this show and it is very close but since I saw the REAL show, it will always be a reenactment. Same applies to the Lamb show that I saw a year later in 1974 at the Forum.

Sadly, there was no merchandise at the time but I think I have the original ticket that had the band's name misspelled: Genisis.

• Montreal, Canada - Le Centre Sportif - Universite de Montreal - NOV 1973

I think I have the original ticket that had the band's name misspelled: Genisis.

That certainly makes a a collectible, the misspelling. After the '77 gig, I remember seeing them the following year without Steve, very strange seeing Stuermer in his place.

• That certainly makes a a collectible, the misspelling. After the '77 gig, I remember seeing them the following year without Steve, very strange seeing Stuermer in his place.

While searching for that "collectible" ticket, I found something just as valuable: these are flyer ads that were found at record stores advertising that Genesis concert. They are true vintage originals and for me, priceless. Genesis flyer ads MTL concert Nov 10 1973.pdf

• I just remembered: I know where that ticket is.

I left a photo album in a storage bin in the city where I moved out of but soon I am planning to finish bringing the rest of my relocation stuff to Canada.

On that album, I have unique set of close up pictures I took at the Genesis Duke concert I saw at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ, USA on June 28, 1980.

My favorite Duke tour T-shirt was the one where little Albert was inserted playing the sax on the seconds out lit stage, really cool.

And on the very last page of that album, I have a couple of pictures I took of my first Genesis show from November 1973 and the "Genisis" ticket is right there.

A true Gem;) To be continued...

• Great, I'd love to see your photos. The Duke 'T' sounds great, I had a good shirt at one time I got during the '78 tour but unfortunately it literally dissolved from too much wearing and washing. I wish I'd had the foresight to save it, storing it carefully instead of using it all the time. The back of it had the 'Seconds Out' cover with "Genesis: Touring America" on the back and on the front was a picture of the earth with the Trick of the Tail characters circling it.

• Great, I'd love to see your photos. The Duke 'T' sounds great, I had a good shirt at one time I got during the '78 tour but unfortunately it literally dissolved from too much wearing and washing. I wish I'd had the foresight to save it, storing it carefully instead of using it all the time. The back of it had the 'Seconds Out' cover with "Genesis: Touring America" on the back and on the front was a picture of the earth with the Trick of the Tail characters circling it.

During that time, there was a lot of T-shirt piracy going on in NYC. Besides that Duke-seconds out shirt that was official BTW, I also got one that was a baseball jersey with the band members framed by the Duke window (front) and Dates on the back. I also wore it out to death, it was too cool to keep it stored in my closet!

• the fact that he did do quite a bit of composing (Far more than Phil)

I'm surprised that this has been left on the forum for so long without being addressed. Because it's actually incorrect. Steve himself has admitted to only ever coming up with the odd riff that required the input of the others to make it into a song - even his greatest moment with the band (for me, at least), Blood On The Rooftops, was incomplete until Phil came up with the chorus.

The core of Genesis composition was Tony, Phil and Mike. Contrary to the old joke, drummers are musicians, too. Now, that is a fact :D

• At the NEC Birmingham. I think Dec 1981. Abacab . Terrible weather . Quite a few couldn't make it due to the snow . I remember Phil talking about it , calling us that were there lucky bastards that we made it , because of the chaos.

Wonderful gig. Was there really early. I remember the excitement as and more people arrived. Genesis were practically unknown to most the population and at the same time one of the biggest bands on the planet. ( As were Led Zep , pink Floyd Yes etc ) Like venturing in to a great open secret. Everyone there was a fanatic. Lovely.

Similar to the following tour and SOTB. Haven't enjoyed Genesis gigs any less since then but the sense of being amongst a group a fanatics is a rare thing. I remember seeing them on the IT tour , we sang along to the "me I'm just lawnmower etc" loudly and the crowd around us looked at us gone out seemingly only knowing the big hits. Was different at the TIOA tour . Much more like the old days. Don't know why. Maybe just me.

• Excuse long delay, found it - here it is: Genisis 1973 (my true Gem)

Don't worry about the long delay. Mark isn't going to see it. He only joined when he was barred from some Facebook group and now he's back on there, he is long gone from here.

Incidentally, is "Genisis" the French spelling? :/

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Don't worry about the long delay. Mark isn't going to see it. He only joined when he was barred from some Facebook group and now he's back on there, he is long gone from here.

Incidentally, is "Genisis" the French spelling? :/

I doubt it, ever since then the Quebec media has always spelled it correctly as Genesis. It was a typo that was unnoticed and that got recorded in Montreal Genesis history. Did you also see the cheap price? $4.00 and I paid $200 for my last ticket on the Last Domino Tour also in Montréal! 8|

I can't see how someone can get barred from a social media - unless you are Donald Trump of course.

• I doubt it, ever since then the Quebec media has always spelled it correctly as Genesis. It was a typo that was unnoticed and that got recorded in Montreal Genesis history. Did you also see the cheap price? $4.00 and I paid $200 for my last ticket on the Last Domino Tour also in Montréal! 8|

I can't see how someone can get barred from a social media - unless you are Donald Trump of course.

People get barred for violating standards, just as Trump did. There isn't a mystery about it. :|

• I doubt it, ever since then the Quebec media has always spelled it correctly as Genesis. It was a typo that was unnoticed and that got recorded in Montreal Genesis history. Did you also see the cheap price? $4.00 and I paid $200 for my last ticket on the Last Domino Tour also in Montréal! 8|

Oh, you can get barred. I've just reported my third spammer on Twitter. @Sparkle59506875 - have a look, she might still be live, with several followers, and several following, all with the same profile pic! A minor offender compared with some, but the other 2, both similar, are toast, every little helps!;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• The Capital Centre, Landover, MD, November 30, 1981. I was totally blown away by the light show and the music. The next day I immediately set about the task of purchasing older Genesis albums (I already owned ATTWT and Abacab).

• SEP181986 - Detroit Michigan.

The Invisible Touch Tour. I slept out overnight and bought 10 tickets. My buddy and I were great air drummers for the In The Cage/ Medley/ Afterglow and when Genesis played Supper's Ready (Apocalypse 9/8) I freakin' lost my mind.

1992 - Detroit

1992 - Chicago

1992 - London

2007 - Detroit

2021 - Detroit

And many solo shows in-between.