Favorite Collins guest appearances?

• If you are a fan of Phil Collins, you have a multitude of guest appearances, cowrites and productions to choose from (compare that to Tony Banks who never did anything for anyone). Phil sure enjoyed being busy. He had to be in at least two bands at all times and doing guest appearances when those weren't busy. Anywho, what are some of your favorite moments of Phil outside of Genesis/Solo works?

I was just enjoying the Tina Turner back catalog today and was surprised to hear Phil on "Typical Male". Which btw, is typical Phil! He sure makes everything better, doesn't he?

• I liked his contributions to the first two Robert Plant solo albums. You can tell his sound and style anywhere. He also played on Robert's tour in the States for "The Principle of the Moments". Great playing.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Yes, I like those Robert Plant contributions too. I can't believe how many places you can find Phil. Was he considered a workaholic? I guess after his first divorce, he stayed busy for obvious reasons.

• Brian Eno - Another Green World and Before And After Science.

Phil`s contribution is not that predominant on these albums, but I really love them.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Brian Eno - Another Green World and Before And After Science.

Phil`s contribution is not that predominant on these albums, but I really love them.

Ah, the Collins/Eno connection. Phil played on a few of his albums and many years later when considering his first solo album, Collins mentioned Eno as an influence. They liked each other and Phil really dug Eno's approach to making music. Phil even told Eno that he had him to thank for showing him that it's possible to leave the "mothership" and forge a new career on your own.

Of all the Genesis men, Phil was the most active outside the band. As a musician, he felt that it only enhanced his musical palate to play in so many different styles of music - from John Martyn to Tears For Fears, from Thin Lizzy to Frida - but also he felt that he was offered opportunities that he would be daft to turn down.

I think of all his outside activities, I like the stuff he did with John Martyn the best. At the end of the seventies, both men found themselves in the same situation, estranged from their respective wives and hurting like hell. They hung out together, got drunk together, cried together and - yes - probably got stoned together. They also made two beautiful albums at this time. Phil played drums and sang on Martyn's Grace And Danger and produced his next record Glorious Fool. Over the years, they would collaborate sporadically and one of John's last recordings was a cover of Phil's Can't Turn Back The Years. The love these two men had for each other was profound and it can be heard in the music they made together.

• Yes, I like those Robert Plant contributions too. I can't believe how many places you can find Phil. Was he considered a workaholic? I guess after his first divorce, he stayed busy for obvious reasons.

His work ethic was there from the start and was major factor in his divorce from Andy. After his divorce, he was already with Jill (whom he met on the Duke tour when he was still married).

• It's poppier music, to be sure, but I even like his work with Howard Jones and Philip Bailey. With HoJo, it was just one song ("No One Is To Blame"), but the whole Philip Bailey album (Chinese Wall) is an interesting listen. In addition to the very well known "Easy Lover", I really like the quasi-title track "Walking On The Chinese Wall".

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Yes, No-One Is To Blame is an excellent tune. Drums and backing vocals by PC and produced by Hugh Padgham, I think. I still listen to Philip Bailey's Chinese Wall album; there's a lot of good stuff on there, especially Walking On The Chinese Wall. Bailey's follow up album also featured PC on one of the tracks but lightning didn't strike twice unfortunately.

• Peter Gabriel 3. What else?! Of course his work with Robert Plant is up there too.

Has to be, hasn't it? After all that collaboration defined the drums sound for over a decade. I am not particularly keen on his collaborations with either Plant or Clapton, they sound to me like celebrities collaborations but of course there's never anything wrong with Phil's playing. Being a massive John Martyn fan I very much like Phil's work on Grace and Danger, where he played only and Glorious Fool which Phil also produced, quite brilliantly imo.

• Being a massive John Martyn fan I very much like Phil's work on Grace and Danger, where he played only

You can't be that massive a fan if you couldn't make out Phil's vocals on Sweet Little Mystery! As I already confirmed earlier, Phil provided both drums and backing vocals to Grace And Danger.

• You can't be that massive a fan if you couldn't make out Phil's vocals on Sweet Little Mystery! As I already confirmed earlier, Phil provided both drums and backing vocals to Grace And Danger.

I meant he didn't produce it, unlike Glorious Fool. Relax. And for the record, I have ALL JM's albums..

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• I didn't know Phil played with Tears for Fears. Had to go look that up. Sure enough. He comes in halfway through Woman in Chains. HA! I've never seen a "half-song" credit. Wiki says that he was brought in to give the song a jolt halfway through (ala In the Air Tonight). :)

• I didn't know Phil played with Tears for Fears. Had to go look that up. Sure enough. He comes in halfway through Woman in Chains. HA! I've never seen a "half-song" credit. Wiki says that he was brought in to give the song a jolt halfway through (ala In the Air Tonight). :)

He does the same sort of thing on a couple of tracks on I Can See Your House From Here by Camel ("Your Love Is Stranger Than Mine" and "Hymn to Her").

He comes in and adds another layer of percussion. His appearances are fairly brief but his playing is recognizable.

Yes, Woman In Chains is a great tune, featuring the wonderful Oleta Adams who would sing with Phil's big band many years later. As an indulgence, when revisiting But Seriously for my own modest editing project, I added the instrumental version of the song to the album. It fits quite nicely on there especially since it has Pino Palladino on bass, who also appears on But Seriously.

• If you are a fan of Phil Collins, you have a multitude of guest appearances, cowrites and productions to choose from (compare that to Tony Banks who never did anything for anyone). Phil sure enjoyed being busy. He had to be in at least two bands at all times and doing guest appearances when those weren't busy. Anywho, what are some of your favorite moments of Phil outside of Genesis/Solo works?

I was just enjoying the Tina Turner back catalog today and was surprised to hear Phil on "Typical Male". Which btw, is typical Phil! He sure makes everything better, doesn't he?

To save time, you should always say what you mean. It avoids you having to explain yourself ;)

To save time, you should try being less pedantic. Thanks ;)

• I think of all his outside activities, I like the stuff he did with John Martyn the best. At the end of the seventies, both men found themselves in the same situation, estranged from their respective wives and hurting like hell. They hung out together, got drunk together, cried together and - yes - probably got stoned together. They also made two beautiful albums at this time. Phil played drums and sang on Martyn's Grace And Danger and produced his next record Glorious Fool. Over the years, they would collaborate sporadically and one of John's last recordings was a cover of Phil's Can't Turn Back The Years. The love these two men had for each other was profound and it can be heard in the music they made together.

Agreed! 'Grace and Danger' is essential listening. This wonderful album is greatly enhanced by Phil's emotive drumming.

• He does the same sort of thing on a couple of tracks on I Can See Your House From Here by Camel ("Your Love Is Stranger Than Mine" and "Hymn to Her").

He comes in and adds another layer of percussion. His appearances are fairly brief but his playing is recognizable.

I thought it was on "ICE" track he appeared on.