War in Ukraine

• Awful to see such scenes in Europe, and to read of things happening that haven't happened since 1941/42. Will we ever change?

Hope no one reading here is directly affected, and sincerely hope the situation de-escalates very quickly. NATO v Russia could effectively be world war three.

• Horrible situation and yet another horrific event in this dark decade. Putin has been an authoritarian bastard for years but through this he has become the sworn enemy of humanity.

• Horrible situation and yet another horrific event in this dark decade. Putin has been an authoritarian bastard for years but through this he has become the sworn enemy of humanity.

It's certainly the most brutal and unsubtle move in his ongoing concerted campaign of destabilisation. He's not the warmonger of old and deploys a range of tactics from various levels of blatant and more covert misinformation, through to the events we see now. And I fear all of the above will get worse, with all kinds of ripple effects, none of them good.

Abandon all reason

• This comes at a time when both Europe(Britain) and USA are at their weakest.

Seems to me Putin timed this right. Not sure how our allies are going to react and if China will assist Russia in some shape or other.

:(

• Official Post

Peter Gabriel has just published a comment

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• The sight of people in Russia filling the streets in protest at the invasion is very moving. The bravery of it - they know they're taking a huge risk, they may very well be arrested and never seen again but they want to express their outrage at Putin's actions.

EDIT: Over 1000 protestors arrested so far across 40 cities

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• It's a weird feeling living in Germany, being only 2 countries away from Ukraine. History teaches us as soon as there's more than two countries involved in a war national borders won't matter any longer. It becomes a continental thing. Europe is small, distances are short. Meanwhile, everyday life continues here so far...

• The president of Ukraine, Zelensky, is also coming across as a great leader. I confess I didn't know a thing about him before, but apparently he was previously a TV comedian. He has led from the front, refusing evacuation by the US saying "I need ammunition, not a ride" and "if I die, I'll die with my soldiers".

• The president of Ukraine, Zelensky, is also coming across as a great leader. I confess I didn't know a thing about him before, but apparently he was previously a TV comedian. He has led from the front, refusing evacuation by the US saying "I need ammunition, not a ride" and "if I die, I'll die with my soldiers".

What a hero!.:)

Just to point out Ukraine needs to win this war. China is also thinking of a war very soon if Russia wins this operation. Western powers need to focus on helping Ukraine sooner than later, because both Europe and US could get into what seems a major nasty war against communist countries!... :(

With already high costs increasing due to transport limitations, Imports and Exports, food prices will rise even further. Now fuel prices will rise!.... :cursing:

Edited once, last by Noni ().

• What a hero!.:)

Just to point out Ukraine needs to win this war. China is also thinking of a war very soon if Russia wins this operation. Western powers need to focus on helping Ukraine sooner than later, because both Europe and US could get into what seems a major nasty war against communist countries!... :(

With already high costs increasing due to transport limitations, Imports and Exports, food prices will rise even further. Now fuel prices will rise!.... :cursing:

People need to remember, Ukrainians would swap their problems for price rises in a heartbeat.

Seems to me a boat was missed. As soon as it became clear Putin was going to act, Ukraine should have had their NATO member ship rushed through, then another 200000 NATO troops alongside the Ukrainian ones at the borders.

The Scandanavian non NATO countries need to have a rethink, and fast.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Yes, as if there was any doubt, it seems like he has truly gone off the deep end. Fail to see any way for him to return to an accepted and acceptable part of the global community. Feel bad for regular Russians who oppose this insanity and will suffer from the sanctions. Looks like they have upped the ante on shelling in Ukraine also which is terribly terrible.

• Yes, as if there was any doubt, it seems like he has truly gone off the deep end. Fail to see any way for him to return to an accepted and acceptable part of the global community. Feel bad for regular Russians who oppose this insanity and will suffer from the sanctions. Looks like they have upped the ante on shelling in Ukraine also which is terribly terrible.

From all accounts those with TV's in Russia believe this is just an exercise. Even the troops fighting the war, believe the same.

Mad Vlad has lied to his nation.

A 3rd of Russians have family and Friends in Ukraine.

All Russian products here in Ontario have been removed from the shelves.

Just a reminder, this is not the Russian public, just Putin's war!

• Agreed, watching a correspondent on TV yesterday, they were saying the older, TV generation believe the lies they are fed, the younger internet followers are much more savvy.

Lots of Russians among Ukraine protesters in UK yesterday, standing shoulder to shoulder together. And the protest at Brandenburg Gate in Berlin was incredible.

Ian

• Just watching the news, the sanctions are working. Russia will run out of fuel very soon, plus their economy has dropped hugely by 30%. People in Russia are anxious and feel Putin's time in office will come to an end in this week.

• Just watching the news, the sanctions are working. Russia will run out of fuel very soon, plus their economy has dropped hugely by 30%. People in Russia are anxious and feel Putin's time in office will come to an end in this week.

Can't see that happening unless someone kills him. No way he's giving up office by choice.

Ian

• Can't see that happening unless someone kills him. No way he's giving up office by choice.

100%. At best, he'd go into hiding and even that isn't happening. He's completely protected by a solid wall of lackeys bound together by a mixture of loyalty, fear and greed - he's ensured many of those close to him are very wealthy.

Undoubtedly there'll be some dismayed at both his actions and the effects on their ability to move/access their funds but almost no-one will have the balls to challenge him.

Tragically he's not going anywhere.

Abandon all reason