War in Ukraine

• Workmate who was born in Ukraine took Ukrainian refugees in her house. She spent the day on the phone arguing with the office about their asylum status. Sounded like the officials don't recognize them as "real" refugees for whatsoever reasons. :rolleyes:

• Ugh. Seeing the headlines today makes me think increasingly that NATO needs to get more directly involved. Yes, at the risk of the conflict spreading. Which would NOT be nato's fault. Inaction = appeasement = facilitating atrocities. The economic sanctions aren't cutting it.

• Ugh. Seeing the headlines today makes me think increasingly that NATO needs to get more directly involved. Yes, at the risk of the conflict spreading. Which would NOT be nato's fault. Inaction = appeasement = facilitating atrocities. The economic sanctions aren't cutting it.

We absolutely are seeing atrocities. Russia is a rogue state run by a war criminal targeting civilians against all normal conventions of war, including during agreed ceasefire. The Russian army once fought Hitler; now look at it.

Abandon all reason

• Hard to imagine that it's been almost a month now since this invasion.:(

I'm so proud at the Ukrainian resilience over Russia... They've managed to take down planes, destroy tanks and destroy a couple of the Russian naval ships.

From the news, lots of Russian military personnel are still confused over this war which means that the Ukrainians have the upper hand as they appear to take down vital targets.

Mean while the Russian's are centring their attacks on civilians and hospitals :evil:  :cursing:

Today World leaders met in Brussels to strengthen the sanctions even further and supply Ukraine with more weapons.

So far Putin is set to become another war criminal.

I'm just hoping that some of the Russian military leaders will go against Putin and take him down and end this war.

• To my mind, Putin already was a war criminal for the methods used in Syria, amongst others, plus the Salisbury/Litvenienko cases make him just a criminal, plain and simple.

I just hope that if Putin is still in power when the war ends, whether he's defeated or agrees a peace plan (which would be ridiculous!) that the west does not remove the sanctions. It can never be back to "business as usual" as it never should have been. Why so many countries decided to trade with him while they were behaving like terrorists is beyond me. Also, Russia should be made to pay for all the work required to restore Ukrainian infrastructure, and compensate those who lost loved ones. It won't happen, of course, but it should be a condition of sanction removal.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Read a report on CNN that the endgame now is to carve Ukraine up into North and South like Korea, according to intelligence reports. Bidens plan ensures more natural gas to Europe but if he gets the north, that would subside the losses he's incurring.

The other plan is a big risk and take him on directly, which if it was a Mano e Mano with guns and planes it would be over soon. There's a big but in that equation though if it goes south for Russia.

• Russia massively misjudged the situation in Ukraine, the head of the UK's intelligence agency GCHQ says.

Sir Jeremy Fleming said President Putin's advisers are not telling him the truth about the situation on the ground.

Similarly, the White House says it has intelligence of tensions between Russia's Vladimir Putin and his military leadership.