Best Opening Song

• I'm hard pressed to think of a Genesis album that doesn't start with one of its best tunes, and ultimately one of their career highlights, but I don't think anything in their catalogue brings the smile to my face quite like Bank's mellotron grandeur on Watcher Of The Skies.

• They are all pretty much classics, I’d have to choose between Watcher, Mar and Dance. Watcher could have been produced a bit better, Dance opens up a new era but the second half doesn’t live up to the first so maybe 11th Earl of Mar. It has such grandeur and power that it sets up the album beautifully, even if not everything that follows matches up to it. But. Then there’s Moonlit Knight, Mama, Abacab and Behind the Lines. Doh!

And Looking for Someone. Double Doh!

And then one of my very top tracks - Musical Box. So I’m going with that. I think.

• TTT should have been the opener. It has everything a Genesis album opener needs.

I like the song but it doesn't have the feel or dynamic of an album opener.

I agree with Trick of the Wuthering that if DTN had been included it would have made a good opener (it's the opener on disc 1 of my 6-disc Genesis compilation). The Brazilian would have worked too but I like where it is as the closer. IT isn't a great opener, I think LoC would've worked better.

Abandon all reason

• It's remarkable how many candidates there are for best album opener. Practically every album in fact...

For me it has always been Watcher. Even after all these years I still get goose bumps hearing that intro.

It's atmospheric, dramatic, mysterious, even catchy in its own weird kind of way.

In some ways it even serves as a good introduction to the band for a new listener. It's got everything.

• I also think they led with their best on pretty much every album.

I also agree that Invisible Touch is probably the one that wasn't perfect, and I would have led with Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. I think it would have set a totally different mood for the whole album that might have helped improve the initial impression a little bit.

• Although it's not my favorite of their opening songs, I think Behind The Lines is the best opening song for launching the album and leading into what's to follow. Next would be DoaV, Watcher and then Eleventh Earl of Mar.

Bloody hell they had great opening songs though. Only one I don't absolutely love is IT.

• I also think they led with their best on pretty much every album.

I also agree that Invisible Touch is probably the one that wasn't perfect, and I would have led with Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. I think it would have set a totally different mood for the whole album that might have helped improve the initial impression a little bit.

I think TTT is a bit too long and downbeat for an opening song, although Mama.... I think they were right to change the tone to something instantly accessible.

• not really thought about it before...Dance a great opener on Trick, maybe Squonk might have worked as well....Deep in Motherlode might have worked on AT3 ...as thought was a great show opener for the 80 tour..

• not really thought about it before...Dance a great opener on Trick, maybe Squonk might have worked as well....Deep in Motherlode might have worked on AT3 ...as thought was a great show opener for the 80 tour..

I would have loved to hear Deep in the motherlode open later tour. Sadly, they didn't play it for long ...

... make tomorrow today!

• Genesis has definitely mastered the art of the opening song-that's for sure! I don't know an album that DOESN'T have an amazing opening song! IMO the best three are (in no particular order)

Down and Out

Dance on a Volcano

Behind the Lines

although 11th Earl of Mar and The Lamb... are also amazing.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with.........Dance on a Volcano. It's just such an epic opening, and speaks to the fans at large "We are Genesis-and we are STILL here, as strong as ever!"

Weakest ones (and they're NOT weak, just not as effective as openers) would be: Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Abacab and Invisible Touch (I've always felt that either Tonight Tonight Tonight would make a way better opener).