The Last Domino? Tour: a Blu-Ray will NOT happen

• Official Post

For those of you wondering whether or not Genesis will film the London shows: they won’t.
    this was just confirmed in a phone call I had with the management. A concert film will not be made.
    so no Blu-Ray release of this show

• This is bad news for those that didn’t get to see the shows, or had shows cancelled for COVID reasons, was there a reason given?

• Well, perhaps there will be a BluRay of another show. ?(

Depends if "A concert film will not be made" means a concert film of this tour rather than specifically one of the London shows.

If the former, it would really underline how unsentimental we already knew they are - no official video release of their last-ever tour.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

To be more precise: The rehearsal shows were filmed - that became the basis for the Kino Lorber documentary.

No other show was filmed and there will be no concert film from the tour like When In Rome etc. Speaking of When In Rome, the setlist of The Last Domino? tour is pretty close to that. A concert film on blu-ray also wouldn't be easy to sell and to make profitable, things have changed a lot in the business. You can think of a few more reasons why they won't do it - in a nutshell: They simply never wanted to do it.

• This might be going against the grain but.... thank heavens for that. I've been a massive fan of this band since I first took serious interest in music 42 years ago and I have tickets for two of the O2 shows. However, despite having its strongest rhythm section since 1992, this band is a pale imitation of what once was, and we all know why that is. It's not a criticism, it's just fact. Father Time catches up with all of us in the end.

It will be nice to enjoy the moment at the O2 and give them the cheering send off that they deserve, but looking ahead I would rather watch and listen to recordings of the band at 100% than this incarnation.

• If they didnt want to go through the process of getting a physical product produced of this tour, fine.

But they could have offered a streaming version, either for free or for sale.

I know they filmed the rehearsals, but I think they've come a long way since then... An actual live show in front of an audience would have been so much better. And Phil's voice is miles better now than it was during rehearsals.

I think they could have videoed it fairly inexpensively. But their choice.X/

Edited once, last by rlj1010 ().

• Depends if "A concert film will not be made" means a concert film of this tour rather than specifically one of the London shows.

If the former, it would really underline how unsentimental we already knew they are - no official video release of their last-ever tour.

It seems then this falls into the category of "not our performance monkeys," a term that was being thrown around last week when some folks on this board pined for certain songs to be played only to get a finger-wagging from others.

• However, despite having its strongest rhythm section since 1992, this band is a pale imitation of what once was, and we all know why that is. It's not a criticism, it's just fact. Father Time catches up with all of us in the end

I agree, but I think there's also a historical aspect to the story. As rlj1010 stated, nowadays concert footage can be recorded fairly inexpensive and once the tour is over, it's done. You can't do it over again.
    So it might not be of great significance now, but it might (and probably will) be in the future.
    To proof my point: they did not value filming and/or releasing footage in the past and here we are (at least I am) now, looking for recordings of stuff they have done.

For me personal it's not only for entertainment and sentimental purposes (although I'm too young to have experienced any of their shows), but also for learning.
    I started drumming because of Phil and some (technical) stuff you just can't do by listing. Like him, I also can't read/write sheet music. So the only option left is watching.

TL;DR: record footage of the shows for archival purposes, and at a minimum release a "live CD" (not a studio compilation). An HD version of the 2007 tour is also welcome.

Software dev, drummer, audiophile and a HUGE PC and Genesis fan.

• We have been lucky that nearly every tour over the past 4 decades was filmed and officially released. If the band does not want to do this with this tour, that's their call.

If the band has any energy for releasing filmed performances, my wish would be to focus on the archival material that exists, even if they don't put in the effort to restore it properly. I'd love the 3SL full footage for example.

• At least we have the YouTube videos. I'm sure someone could assemble a decent multisource edit of a full show.

(Yes, we also had YouTube in 2007, but if you look for 2007 audience videos, most of the footage is ridiculously low resolution and unwatchable. Digital camera technology has come such a long way since then...)

• For me personal it's not only for entertainment and sentimental purposes (although I'm too young to have experienced any of their shows), but also for learning.

Sorry to hear you didn’t get to see them in their pomp. To be fair, I ‘only’ started at the Wembley 87 shows and although many will say this was the band at their peak, I would have preferred to have seen any of their tours between 1971 and 1982. They were an outstanding live band back in the day, and even in 1987 and 1992 (when it was way too commercial for me).

The Three Sides Live video (particularly In The Cage medley) has some brilliant drumming from Phil and there are some tasty moments in the Mama Tour and Wembley vids too. Hopefully you’ve got a copy of the (unofficial) Lyceum 1980 video as well because that’s worth a watch. There are many more, plus of course his solo material. But for me something was noticeably wrong on the 2007 tour and, obviously, it wasn’t long after that tour that Phil put his sticks down for good.

Nic is developing into a superb drummer and there are some similarities with his dad, but you can tell he has other influences too. He’s his own man, and rightly so. But to enjoy Phil at his peak (and the band at their peak) I hope you look back in time because there’s a ton of treasure out there, official and unofficial.

I digress. Enjoy your drumming. I’m jealous because it was always my first choice, but I’m no good! And enjoy this band’s rich back catalogue.

• I went to Newcastle and loved it but I’m not sure I’d want a DVD of it. I assume that the same applies to a CD of the tour i.e. there won’t be one. Again I’d not be too worried about that, in fact a CD would probably be less desirable than a DVD as the visuals were great.

I’m grateful for what we got and there wasn’t an officially widely available record of the CAS tour. I agree it would be better to concentrate on earlier tours if there were to be any

more releases.

• Agree re releases of earlier tours, but these likely won't happen either. 80-86 was their live peak when their renditions of 70s stuff were superb. Firth 81 and Suppers 82 blow the Seconds Out versions clean out of the water with their far superior energy and greater edge. I personally think HBTS never sounded better than in 86/87 and the full TTT was terrific, sorely missed in its later truncated form.

Frustrating we never got full Mama/IT shows but at least they were uninterrupted 'majority' recordings, as it were - I agree it'd be great to get a proper 3SL full show without all the talking and partial tracks (cutting off M&SJ before its exultant climactic section is one of the stupidest editing decisions on any concert film by anyone, ever).

I'm glad we've got what we've got including the full Lyceum 80 on YouTube.

Abandon all reason

• To be more precise: The rehearsal shows were filmed - that became the basis for the Kino Lorber documentary.

No other show was filmed and there will be no concert film from the tour like When In Rome etc. Speaking of When In Rome, the setlist of The Last Domino? tour is pretty close to that. A concert film on blu-ray also wouldn't be easy to sell and to make profitable, things have changed a lot in the business. You can think of a few more reasons why they won't do it - in a nutshell: They simply never wanted to do it.

Shame.

• If the band has any energy for releasing filmed performances, my wish would be to focus on the archival material that exists, even if they don't put in the effort to restore it properly. I'd love the 3SL full footage for example.

That would be great! I wonder if that footage even exists though.

I guess that music wise, I'm just born in the wrong decade ^^

The 1992 and 2007 tour videos are my least favorite. Though I do like the fact that the 1992 concert footage was released in multi cam "format". Al other tours, especially Duke, I've watched many times over.

And speaking of Nic, he indeed is a very well trained drummer. But I do sometimes miss the subtle accents that Phil put in during his playing. Although that is not to be expected when you only have a couple of years experience with the material vs. the man who developed it in the first place.

Software dev, drummer, audiophile and a HUGE PC and Genesis fan.

• We all have our own thoughts and opinion about the live videos from past tours. For example in my personal case having seen Genesis 12 times since 1973, I recall that I was very disappointed when I saw the 1980 video (Duke tour) of a concert I enjoyed immensely and confirmed that a video will NEVER replace actually being there live.

So if there will be no DVD or Blu-ray for the Last Domino tour, I'm fine and can live with it. I feel bad for the fans in Australia, Japan and Latin America that never had the chance to catch them for the last time. But yes, the YT videos are a good testimony and whatever poor quality video you got in your phone.

It's also a shame that The Music.com did not release any of the concerts of this tour like they did in 2007 when I have the soundboard CDs from my concert in Denver and the last one (on that tour) at the Hollywood Bowl, california. Seems like a lifetime ago.