The Last Domino? Tour: a Blu-Ray will NOT happen

• Chester said, the show was meant to be recorded and released, but Peter refused to stand by the stage microphones recording and thats why they never got any decent sound of this show.

So blame Peter ultimately

• Chester said, the show was meant to be recorded and released, but Peter refused to stand by the stage microphones recording and thats why they never got any decent sound of this show.

So blame Peter ultimately

Except, if he can be heard on audience recordings coming from the FOH PA columns, then he is on mic somewhere.

TGA

• Except, if he can be heard on audience recordings coming from the FOH PA columns, then he is on mic somewhere.

TGA

The mic he used was attached to speakers which pumped sound out to the crowed.

The stage mics were what recorded the sound professionally and didn't pick up Peters Vocals.

Big difference.

• The mic he used was attached to speakers which pumped sound out to the crowed.

The stage mics were what recorded the sound professionally and didn't pick up Peters Vocals.

Big difference.

You make the assumption we have no knowledge about live sound. Genesis have a soundboard cassette of this show in their archive. That is taken from the mixing desk in the middle of field in the sound tower. The video was not filmed by a professional team.

The live PA mic that Peter/Phil mostly sang into would have been recorded, one can only think the stage mics you speak of were for a live ambient sound. This is sometimes doesn't work and can be abandoned during the mixing stage in post production.

There would have been either a DI or mic's at amps for the guitar/bass guitar. Tony's keyboards would be DI into a mixing desk and or sent straight to a multi channel recording desk, if one was used. This for the most part of being in a field (Milton Keynes Bowl), would have been in an outside truck. Such as The Manor Mobile etc.

I go back to my same point, if Peter can be heard singing into his vocal mic through the PA as is evidenced by audience recordings, then he would have been picked up by whatever recording equipment they were using.

TGA

• All I know is Chester gave a reason why no Audio was picked up that day and why it wasn't released.

It's in his rolling stone interview.

Take it up with him.

• This is the actual question from RS and Chester's reply.

Do you recall much from the reunion show with Peter Gabriel in 1982 at Milton Keynes Bowl?

[Laughs] That was fun. I guess they were never able to release it because Peter is pretty spontaneous and it drove the sound engineer crazy. They went over all the details in soundcheck and we rehearsed the day before. But they set up mics around the stage where he said he was going to be. Come the day of the show, Peter was wherever he was at the moment, which wasn’t where he said he’d be the day before. Unfortunately, they never had enough of his clear vocals to release it, or anything.

This might be a very diplomatic answer, Mike Rutherford has always claimed it wasn't recorded. Peter Gabriel's keyboard player "Larry Fast" recalls watching the video of the show on the 3rd or 4th October as he was rehearsing in Peter's band for the 1982 tour.

Still, that's what I believe you were paraphrasing or quoting from.

TGA

• There is some video footage of it, but again, it's not professional quality, it was on the Genesis History VHS from years back.

Mike is probably correct in that, it wasn't recorded, because as Chester point's out, the vocals were not clear.

I suspect, Peter would have been totally against it being released as he has tried to distance himself from "performing" Genesis material and the circumstances were from a necessity rather than a willingness to do a reunion.

Genesis are a pretty unique band, with how they approach things. They tend to stick to their guns and what they want, more so than just giving the fans everything they want or demand.

I think only Tony Smith focuses on the £ signs

• Is there evidence that it was ever video recorded in full? For example Pete's Shepton Mallet stuff is only partial, as far as I know.

I would be prepared to believe that there's a soundboard cassette or three in the archive....which would be better than anything that has surfaced so far. Whether we'll ever hear it is another matter. I get the feeling Peter and perhaps MIke are adamant that the show was a one off, and best experienced on the day. There were mistakes, flubs, miscues....which were forgiven due to the occasion but would seem odd on an official release.

Maybe not odd to us, we'd lap it up, but to the masses who wouldn't be fully aware what they were buying. Especially if it had come out in circa 1983.

Maybe they'll get bored in retirement and start releasing soundboard recordings. Or maybe a certain Mr. Collins will decide to leak some of his personal collection again....allegedly....

• There is some video footage of it, but again, it's not professional quality, it was on the Genesis History VHS from years back.

No Choccy, its not on the Genesis A History documentary from 1991.

Peter Gabriel had it filmed, its supposedly the same kind of quality as the Shepton Mallet stuff from the first Womad.

TGA

• Is there evidence that it was ever video recorded in full? For example Pete's Shepton Mallet stuff is only partial, as far as I know.

Remember everything you see is an edit.

I would be prepared to believe that there's a soundboard cassette or three in the archive....which would be better than anything that has surfaced so far. Whether we'll ever hear it is another matter. I get the feeling Peter and perhaps MIke are adamant that the show was a one off, and best experienced on the day. There were mistakes, flubs, miscues....which were forgiven due to the occasion but would seem odd on an official release.

Remember this would only be a stereo cassette for the bands review, not a multi track tape.

Maybe they'll get bored in retirement and start releasing soundboard recordings. Or maybe a certain Mr. Collins will decide to leak some of his personal collection again....allegedly....

Who knows.

Genesis sound board tapes have come from a theft on a tour bus sometime in 1978. Gifts to various people in time and misplaced stuff that somehow gets out. There was a rumour that some of these were also review copies for Paul Russell (author of Genesis A Live Guide to 1975). But that is unlikely because why would he burn such bridges.

Still hope those answers help,

TGA

• No Choccy, its not on the Genesis A History documentary from 1991.

Peter Gabriel had it filmed, its supposedly the same kind of quality as the Shepton Mallet stuff from the first Womad.

TGA

It was an older video, not the BBC one from 1991.

I just found it on YouTube and they just have photographs from the show not the video footage.

I have seen some video on you tube though previously.

Edited once, last by choccy ().

• ziggo dome has some crazy token system for buying drinks from the bar :P

I would imagine that it was similar to when I saw Genesis at the stadium in 2007. You could buy a card for €10 or €20 but of course you cant ever make it add up to what you buy. Say 2 drinks come to €9.40 then you go home with 60 cents left on the card. Imagine that times 70,000 people or whatever. Nice little earner.

• Say 2 drinks come to €9.40 then you go home with 60 cents left on the card. Imagine that times 70,000 people or whatever. Nice little earner.

Ditto for when some people decide to add another drink they hadn't intended to, just to take it over the 10 to feel they weren't wasting the 0.60.

A 'beer token' system operated at an outdoor gig I went to 20 years ago. You had to join a big long slow-moving queue to buy your tokens, then join another big long slow-moving queue to get your drinks. I took a look at this dual queue and decided against it. I then encountered a work colleague who I didn't know would be there, holding a big paper cup of cider and looking rather pleased with himself. He pointed to a nearby stall selling local produce, including the cider. No queue, no tokens required. Not sure how that got under the beer token police's radar but we agreed it was fortunate it had, as we clinked (?) paper cups and toasted independent local cider makers everywhere.

Abandon all reason

• It's a shame they won't have an official document of their final tour, but with all the material out there - including some good quality videos on YouTube from The Last Domino? shows - I'm not too bothered.

Don't get me wrong; If they released a show on Blu-ray I'd buy it, but I'm more than satisfied with all the stuff I have already. I'm glad I managed to capture some songs from the show I was at too, which is a lovely bonus.

• Genesis have never been a commercially oriented band, and although this is somewhat reassuring, they have put out less material than most bands of their stature. Still hoping for a blu ray (or 4k, depending on source quality) release of When in Rome.

• Genesis have never been a commercially oriented band, and although this is somewhat reassuring, they have put out less material than most bands of their stature. Still hoping for a blu ray (or 4k, depending on source quality) release of When in Rome.

Tony Smith is commercially orientated....

But the band would certainly be in a position to say "no" to a live release.

In Richard Macphail's latest "Radio Rich Pickings" Tony Banks appears not to rule out a future release though....

• Tony Smith is commercially orientated....

But the band would certainly be in a position to say "no" to a live release.

In Richard Macphail's latest "Radio Rich Pickings" Tony Banks appears not to rule out a future release though....

TS is their manager - so he deals with business options

I believe they all said we don't need a concert film, since they did that plenty of times in the past and the set was not that much different from 2007. Nevertheless, Tony Banks seems to regret not filming the London shows. But in the end there won't be a miracle. Something that wasn't filmed can't be released, simple as that! They certainly won't use the screen-footage.

Only thing possible would be an extended release of the documentary with a full show as an extra disc - since we all know that was filmed.