First record or CD you ever owned

• I would say that most of my musical influences came from AM radio in my youth. Today, classic rock radio stations are repetitive and don't represent the massive catalogue of great music that spanned the last 50 years. It's a shame.

I have been saying for quite some time now that schools should introduce kids to these things which are getting lost and forgotten and are imo tantamount to any cultural-patrimony. Same for films, books are sort of a lost cause unfortunately but kids don't know about Elvis, the Beatles and what followed. Same with Casablanca, Gone with the wind or even the Godfather. The goal is not to get them to like them but just to know them, of course while providing some context.

There is cultural history there and it is vanishing.

• The first vinyl album I actually bought with my own money was 'Architecture & Morality' by OMD in about 1982.

The first album I ever 'acquired' (was given) was Abba's Greatest Hits (can't remember the year) and the first album that was bought for me was Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds.

I think the first CD I ever bought was either Hounds of Love by Kate Bush or The Doors debut album.

• The first vinyl album I actually bought with my own money was 'Architecture & Morality' by OMD in about 1982.

The first album I ever 'acquired' (was given) was Abba's Greatest Hits (can't remember the year) and the first album that was bought for me was Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds.

I think the first CD I ever bought was either Hounds of Love by Kate Bush or The Doors debut album.

Abba's Greatest Hits came out in 1976, so that narrows it down. (I bought it for my mum!)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• The first LP that was outrightly mine (rather than one I was borrowing from my parents) was probably some kids record like Free to Be You and Me. I am not sure what rock LP was first purchased for me, but it was likely a Beatles record when I was about 12. The first CD I purchased I am more sure of - Quadrophenia by The Who, sometime shortly after CDs came on the market.

• First single I bought myself, was ‘money, money, money’ by ABBA in 1976. Then a kid at school did me a tape of Dark Side. Because of the way he’d scrawled the tracks on the cassette card it looked like there was 1 track called, ‘The great giginthe’ with a separate track called ‘sky’ (written on the line below.) For months I struggled to work out where one finished and the next began 😂😂😂

First album I bought myself was Led Zep II a few months later. Yup: I ‘progressed’ from pop pretty quickly.

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• My first progressive album was Greenslade, followed by Brand X and then Nova..... My brother had a huge collection of progressive albums which got me started in the first place including a lot of Genesis albums too!... :)

The first prog album which got me started into prog music in the first place was my brother's SEBTP album and ELP's early stuff followed by Rick Wakeman.

• My first vinyl album was The Beatles A Hard Day's Night, wow i am getting old. My first CD Was Hysteria by Deff Leppard.

Haha I am a bit ashamed to admit it but the first single I bought was You Were Made For Me by Freddie And The Dreamers, well I was only 10 when it came out :)

• First CD I owned was Phil's Serious Hits Live, when I was about 12. I don't recall having bought tapes prior to that, but I did buy a few afterwards when getting into Genesis if CDs weren't available and the need to not return home empty handed trumped the patience of a teenager.

• Somewhere around 1977, somewhere around the age of 9, soon after I "discovered" music, I received a couple of hand-me-down 45 rpms from my older brother, who was 18 at the time. One was The Beatles' Eight Days a Week, and the other was Blue Öyster Cult's (Don't Fear) The Reaper, with Tattoo Vampire on the B-Side. I played these over and over on my plastic record player, and I recall being really weirded out by Tattoo Vampire. I didn't know what to make of these sounds I was hearing.

These 45s led to lifelong love affairs with both bands. My first LP was "The Beatles: 1967-1970," which I received for Christmas that year.

My brother was also responsible for introducing me to Genesis a few months prior, but that's a story for another thread.

• My first single was Sledgehammer, first LP Invisible Touch. Both acquired in roughly May '86. I was fourteen and on the right track. Christmas '88 (or '89?) Santa brought a CD player. And would you believe my first CD was an album called So. My musical tastes have broadened considerably since then.

• I remember my first CD. Not owning a CD or record player, I bought many Genesis / Banks / Collins / Gabriel / Mechanics albums on tape (cassettes) in the late 80s / early 90s. Becoming aware of Hackett and Phillips and others (thank you to Helmut Janisch and the German Genesis fan club, then still called Invisible Touch), whose works were hardly available on cassette, I decided to have to use my (younger) brother's CD player. The first CD I bought on 30 Nov 1992 was Steve Hackett's Highly Strung, as this one happened to be for sale at a local store.

• Official Post

Fist album I had was Genesis Live. That was provided by the guy in my local church, who was responsible for the youth groups. I was 12 back then. When I had my first CD player a little later, I bought Phil Collins 12"ers and Genesis Abacab. Don't remember which was first, but I do remember I bought both BEFORE my CD-Player arrived.

• I think mine was Asia's debut album, but I can't say with 100% certainty.

I see that many have been putting down their first CD in addition to first vinyl album, so I will do the same.

I’m 99% sure that Asia’s debut album was my first vinyl album; however, I am 100% sure that Yes’ “Close To The Edge” was the first CD I ever owned. A good one to start on. 8)

My first Genesis CD I’m almost positive was “Wind & Wuthering”. This was both a good thing and a bad thing - good for obvious reasons; bad because, if you were also one of those who had the very first remastering of W&W, you’ll remember how underwhelming the sound quality was on it.

Thank goodness for the Definitive Edition Remaster and especially the boxset version of this album - both were MUCH better, especially the latter.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I had an early W&W, it said "Mastered by Sanyo" on the inner part of the disc, which explains everything! <X

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

My first LP was Kylie Minogue's debut album. What can I say? I was young, and I lacked the taste.

First CD was the grey-frame version of Nursery Cryme. About half a year before I got my first CD player. I'd ask a friend to copy the CD to cassette tapes. With C90 cassettes that meant I did not get to hear the final song of TLLDOB until I had my own CD player... ah, those memories.