First record or CD you ever owned

• First ever record was a single - Popa Joe, The Sweet.

First LP Alladine Sane - David Bowie

I bought it from Boots with birthday money . It was in a promotional display box on the counter. The record shops used to use them to promote the latest big releae, remember them?

• My first CD in my life was Céline DIon with his compilation On ne change Pas in Christmas 2005. I listen all the time this compilation and i started to be huge fan of his around 2008. Since, Céline Dion was my favorite singer of all time and my favorite song of him was Nothing Broken But My Heart and Pour que tu M'aimes encore.

• First cassette might have been We Can't Dance. First CD single I think maybe Sophie b Hawkins right beside you. Or Tell me why. Whichever came out first. First CD album I want to say Bat Out Of Hell 2 but it might have been one of the Now! Series equally.

• Mildly funny story somewhat relevant to this thread. I listened to the we can't dance cassette a LOT when I was little. I had a Walkman and used to listen to music in bed before going to sleep. I was staying with my granny once around then, a very lovely religious lady, and one night shortly after I had gone to bed, she heard me talking/singing and opened the door to check on me. I was singing 'Jesus He Knows Me' as that was the track playing. She genuinely, legitimately thought that some kind of miraculous conversion was in progress.

No granny, sorry. She saw the funny side of it after, she was cool that way.

• The first single I ever owned was Blockbuster by The Sweet when I was 7 or 8. I don't suppose I actually went out to buy it myself, but it my single.

All my mates were big Bolan fans, but I always liked the Sweet better, and still do.

The very first PROPER pop album I bought was Abba Arrival. Again, Arrival is an album I still play and love to this day, even though I had a good 20 year break from Abba from the late 70s, when I started obsessing over Genesis!

Blockbuster and Arrival. All in All I don't think that's bad.

• Perfectly reasonable. Just don't tell Mr.Farmer. He starts twitching at the mention of Abba.

Abandon all reason

• It's hard thinking back almost 50 years as to what was the first I bought. This might not be 100% accurate but will be pretty close

All started in 1974 when I was 9 coming up to 10. Up until then I had always listened to the radio but then my parents bought me a music system (cheap all in one but to me at the time was priceless).

First single: Waterloo - ABBA

First album: Streetlife Serenade - Billy Joel

Then when I was turning 16 in 1980 I bought my first music system which included a cd player.

First cd: The River - Bruce Springsteen

I had many cassettes but I just can't remember what would have been my first purchase

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Haha, no doubt the Seconds Out part was a bit of a humble brag. ;)

Well as I mentioned earlier in the thread my 1st vinyl LP was Selling England, not any sort of brag, just that I was a fan in 1979 which was about when I got it. My brother already had Three, W&W, Trick, Lamb, Foxtrot and NC so I decided to get the missing one.

I'd never thought about what my first live album was but in fact it was Seconds Out, also in 79. But I quickly fell out of love with it and haven't listen to it for over 30 years.

Abandon all reason

• Well as I mentioned earlier in the thread my 1st vinyl LP was Selling England, not any sort of brag, just that I was a fan in 1979 which was about when I got it. My brother already had Three, W&W, Trick, Lamb, Foxtrot and NC so I decided to get the missing one.

I'd never thought about what my first live album was but in fact it was Seconds Out, also in 79. But I quickly fell out of love with it and haven't listen to it for over 30 years.

Ahh well the humble brag part was because the first time I saw Genesis live was on that tour and not only was it my first live album purchased but it was the first live album by a band I saw the tour it was recorded on.

Even though it wasn't from my show (MSG in February ) it felt like my own official bootleg of sorts at the time to me. I've since seen other tours by bands where they released live albums from but Seconds Out was the first and I still love and listen to it to this day. Sorry you're not into it.

• Ahh well the humble brag part was because the first time I saw Genesis live was on that tour and not only was it my first live album purchased but it was the first live album by a band I saw the tour it was recorded on.

Even though it wasn't from my show (MSG in February ) it felt like my own official bootleg of sorts at the time to me. I've since seen other tours by bands where they released live albums from but Seconds Out was the first and I still love and listen to it to this day. Sorry you're not into it.

I understand your love for it. The aforementioned brother saw them that year, first at the famous 1 January show at the London Rainbow, then at one of the June London Earls Court shows, which means he got to see the one sole performance of the Lilywhite Lilith/Wot Gorilla sequence, and one of the rare outings for Inside & Out. Randomly, I also recall his saying that at the Earls Ct gig a woman nearby in the crowd loudly screeched "STEEEEVE HAAAAACKETT!" and elicted absolutely zero response from the impassive SH.

One thing I was sure I remembered, which I've subsequently found is true and I didn't imagine it, is that it lists "The Carpet Crawl". The album's wikipedia entry asserts this was to distinguish it as the version without the opening verse. I know this has come up before here, but I can't remember if the album is still printed with that version of the title.

In the late 70s I just automatically loved everything they did but later lost interest in the 4-man line-up. It remains my least-liked era of their work. I now find Seconds Out too clinically pristine and a bit lifeless. I much prefer the more rough & ready sounding Genesis Live and 3SL.

Abandon all reason

• I'd never thought about what my first live album was but in fact it was Seconds Out, also in 79. But I quickly fell out of love with it and haven't listen to it for over 30 years.

😮 . SO is one of my all time favourites. Whenever play it's my favourite G album. Certainly feel that CS and FOF are the superior versions. Would rank as about 4 on my list when not playing anything. Certainly my choice if I could only have one G album .

Also you have got me thinking now what my first live album was. SO was one of them. I think VIVA ! Roxy Music was my first. I still love that album it has atmosphere like no other and all versions superior to the originals. I used to absolutely love the live albums. Put the headphones on and be transported to a magical place I had never been to , a live show. Bursting Out - JT , Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy, Made in Japan DP , Elton John's 17. 11..70 . were amongst the albums I that would send me to somewhere else. I would feel I was there .

I eventually went to my.first gig shortly before my 17th birthday, and they're still my favourite thing.

• I bought two CDs to go with our brand new CD player bought from Laskys in Coventry in 1987. The players had recently become affordable. One was American English by Wax . The other I think was Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells . It was and still is one of my favourite records.and I wanted to hear how it sounded it on this new format.

• 😮 . SO is one of my all time favourites. Whenever play it's my favourite G album. Certainly feel that CS and FOF are the superior versions. Would rank as about 4 on my list when not playing anything. Certainly my choice if I could only have one G album .

Also you have got me thinking now what my first live album was. SO was one of them. I think VIVA ! Roxy Music was my first. I still love that album it has atmosphere like no other and all versions superior to the originals. I used to absolutely love the live albums. Put the headphones on and be transported to a magical place I had never been to , a live show. Bursting Out - JT , Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy, Made in Japan DP , Elton John's 17. 11..70 . were amongst the albums I that would send me to somewhere else. I would feel I was there .

I eventually went to my.first gig shortly before my 17th birthday, and they're still my favourite thing.

Two of my all time favourite live albums

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• 😮 . SO is one of my all time favourites. Whenever play it's my favourite G album. Certainly feel that CS and FOF are the superior versions. Would rank as about 4 on my list when not playing anything. Certainly my choice if I could only have one G album .

I realise I'm probably in a tiny minority, certainly on this board, in not liking SO. I also think most would agree with you about FoF and TCS. For me, the studio FoF is the definitive one, the whole feel of it is so much better (though I love the live one on Archive 1). With TCS, I totally get that the SO one (and other live renditions) have a very different dynamism and energy that makes it superior for many fans. I like them both for their differences from each other. I definitely much prefer the first half of the studio version.

I totally agree about Viva, one of the great live albums. I love it for all the reasons I don't love SO - it sounds raw, immediate, muscular. You said the best live albums make you feel you are there - SO absolutely doesn't do that at all for me, its clean shiny production drains it of any immediacy, whereas Live and 3SL have a more 'raw' feel and are both way superior in my view.

On Viva, Both Ends and Out of the Blue sum up this thing of liking both versions for their very different merits. The studio cuts of those sound almost ethereal, yet also very solid and rhythmic. The Viva versions are big, pounding and rocky, which works really well.

Abandon all reason