The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• What, pray tell, is glib? Your description has me imagining all different sorts of things!

Sorry, I was being silly in an attempt at humour. Glib is the act of being smooth-talkingly insincere. It came up in a whatsapp chat with a friend who accused me of being glib. While it's a quite negative thing to be called I was amused and didn't mind the comment. Then I imagined having a big load of glib to hand and decided if it were a physical thing it'd be shiny greasy puddingy stuff in a tub.

There's a glimpse into how my mind works that no-one wanted.

Abandon all reason

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is a bit of a tough watch but worth it. I'm keenly aware that social media breeds doom merchantry, fear mongering and hysteria (there was a funny post by a tone deaf poster on Twitter in the last few days about something called an Arkstorm about to destroy California; the take down by proper meteorologists and proper science communicators was <chef's kiss>). But I increasingly don't like the data about the climate that's coming out and this fairly straight shooting scientist made the linked 20 minute video about it. I wish she didn't have the hard sell for some nature preservation group at the end but I don't think it detracts from the main message.

• Hearing the usual stuff at this time of year about "getting through January" I reckon a lot of people find January 'depressing' because so many people around them, and the media, keep telling them they're supposed to.

I get that christmas/new year is a nice break and enjoyable time for many who like to/are able to take time off, relax, see family (yes I know those last two can cancel each other out) so it feels a bit of a let-down to drag yourself back into work when the relaxation and celebrations are over, it's cold and dark - and I realise this is my Northern Hemisphere perspective. Don't know about other countries but also, here in the UK concepts such as 'dry January' and 'veganuary' are attached to this month and probably feel to many like an enjoyment vacuum.

I love christmas but also generally like autumn and winter and don't mind cold dark days. Of course not everyone feels that way but I'm sure the constant drip-drip of "January's SO depressing" plays a large part.

Abandon all reason

• Hearing the usual stuff at this time of year about "getting through January" I reckon a lot of people find January 'depressing' because so many people around them, and the media, keep telling them they're supposed to.

I get that christmas/new year is a nice break and enjoyable time for many who like to/are able to take time off, relax, see family (yes I know those last two can cancel each other out) so it feels a bit of a let-down to drag yourself back into work when the relaxation and celebrations are over, it's cold and dark - and I realise this is my Northern Hemisphere perspective. Don't know about other countries but also, here in the UK concepts such as 'dry January' and 'veganuary' are attached to this month and probably feel to many like an enjoyment vacuum.

I love christmas but also generally like autumn and winter and don't mind cold dark days. Of course not everyone feels that way but I'm sure the constant drip-drip of "January's SO depressing" plays a large part.

Nice and hot down here, air conditioning kicking in at 8 in the morning...

• One strictly for brits of a certain age.

I can't hear the end of Nantucket Sleighride without hearing "Coming up, Brian Moore with The Big Match. Featuring a Midlands derby of Coventry City against Wolverhampton Wanderers!"

Abandon all reason

• An estimated 3 tons of human excrement has accumulated on the routes to the summit of Everest. Because of the freezing conditions it doesn't degrade. A new scheme is being introduced; climbers will now have to bag their own shit and take it back down where it'll be INSPECTED.

Just FYI, in case you're planning an ascent (though also bear in mind you'll have to pick your way through 3 tons worth of everyone else's long-frozen faeces).

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• When corporations greet a query or complaint with a cheerful "Hi! How are you doing?" and/or a smiley face or waving hand emoji, do they genuinely not know it will very likely infuriate you even more than you might already be? How is it possible for them to not realise this?

The last (and literally final) time I used Air B'n'B, when I called to make the inevitable complaint, not only did I get the "HEYYY! How are YOU today?" I also got asked what my plans for the day were. I had to tell them I was not okay, was very angry, and the rest of the day would involve my trying to find out exactly why they suddenly cancelled - with no warning and no explanation - a booking I'd made with them, leaving me in a very awkward spot. (I experienced with them literally the worst customer relations I've ever encountered - and I live in Britain, and am a Vodafone customer, which gives you an idea just how bad they were).

I don't want giant corporations to try to be my pal. It's irritating, transparent and cringe-inducing. The person I'm speaking with/emailing/tweeting probably hates their job, their employer and me. I know 100% they have no interest in my day, my plans or anything about me. And quite right too. But of course they have a script, a procedure, they are required to follow. We know that, and they know we know, and we know they know we know. It's all a ridiculous sham.

And as for 'wackaging' ie wacky packaging, it's as bad. This is when products are covered in cheery first-person text - "HELLO! I'm 100% all natural ingredients. I'm good for you and yummy for your tummy!" It's part of the infantilisation of discourse that's crept in over the last 20 years or so.

Abandon all reason

• Apparently when Star Wars was aired on TV in Chile many years ago, instead of breaking for commercials, they worked the commercial into the movie. I laughed a lot at the results... If there's a Star wars thread feel free to move the post!

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• You know you're a Genesis fan when you see a Genesis connection anywheres. Somebody talking 'bout a monster mouse?

External Content www.youtube.com