The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• I don't mind the multiple possessives. Reminds me I've tried introducing the multiple contraction might'nt've. This follows my attempt to start a new pronunciation of banana, as "banner-NAR" instead of "ba-NAR-na". Friends obligingly started using it but to my knowledge it never caught on.

Yes, schoolkids doing stuff is mostly terrible.

Hate to think how you pronounce the name of the American Rock'n'Roll band Sha Na Na!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Hate to think how you pronounce the name of the American Rock'n'Roll band Sha Na Na!

I go for 'sha' as in shack, and two nahs as in "naaah" the expressively dismissive no, but not protracted.

EDIT: On second thoughts I'd just pronounce it to rhyme with 'banana'.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I read that as bee-nan. Ah! ...with the last syllable like the sound you make after you chug a few mouthfuls of bracingly cold water on a swelteringly hot day.

There's another potential alternative pronunciation!

I think I use this regularly in speech but it's an ambitious one for the written form. Should there be an apostrophe between n and the second t because there's a missing o?

Yeah probably.

Abandon all reason

• I just finished a 10 day stretch of work with average 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I fell asleep on the train on the way home, and woke up choking on chewing gum. It had slid all the way into the tube it shouldn't be. I was fortunately able to give an almighty cough and get it out, but I was pretty shaken, and my throat was fucked after so I'm pretty sure the other passengers think I gave them all COVID. Still coughing a lot an hour later.

Time for pizza, beer and sleeeeeeeeeep. Without gum in my mouth.

• Time for pizza, beer and sleeeeeeeeeep. Without gum in my mouth.

Surely at that stage your main concern would've been waking up choking on a mouthful of semi-masticated pizza.

As unpleasant as your gum incident was for you I have to admit it made me smile - sorry - but mainly underlined my dislike of chewing gum and my feeling that it has very little purpose. Maybe it's changed over the years but going back decades to when I last had it, it would have flavour for a minute or two after which it'd just be a case of my jaws working for absolutely no reason or gain. Then you end up with a stretchy glob of useless stuff that becomes another piece of litter to be disposed of - which, for far too many people, consists of spitting it on to the ground or sticking it to surfaces where it can be horrifyingly touched, sat on or otherwise cling to other people.

I have a feeling I might've said elsewhere on the board, anyone caught discarding gum like that should be sentenced to being strapped to a lamppost for 8 hours while others stick their used gum to the miscreant's face and clothes.

Abandon all reason

• Surely at that stage your main concern would've been waking up choking on a mouthful of semi-masticated pizza.

As unpleasant as your gum incident was for you I have to admit it made me smile - sorry - but mainly underlined my dislike of chewing gum and my feeling that it has very little purpose. Maybe it's changed over the years but going back decades to when I last had it, it would have flavour for a minute or two after which it'd just be a case of my jaws working for absolutely no reason or gain. Then you end up with a stretchy glob of useless stuff that becomes another piece of litter to be disposed of - which, for far too many people, consists of spitting it on to the ground or sticking it to surfaces where it can be horrifyingly touched, sat on or otherwise cling to other people.

I have a feeling I might've said elsewhere on the board, anyone caught discarding gum like that should be sentenced to being strapped to a lamppost for 8 hours while others stick their used gum to the miscreant's face and clothes.

Modern chewing gum does retain its flavour a lot longer, BUT I dislike chewing gum because it just makes me feel hungry. I guess the chewing and salivating just gets your system ready for food, which never arrives.

Ian

• You guys just reminded me of when I was a 9-year-old boy (or 8 years), I took 4 chewing gums in my mouth to make it one humongous one. I used it for a week, I would take it out and store it in a bowl with a lid on to put it back in my mouth later on. Don't ask me why I did this, thinking back now it feels pretty disgusting. 8o

• Haha very funny replies here 🤣. It was a humourous incident looking back.

I don't normally chew gum either, I'm not a fan. I did on this occasion because I was displeased with the taste in my mouth for whatever reason.

• I just finished a 10 day stretch of work with average 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I fell asleep on the train on the way home, and woke up choking on chewing gum. It had slid all the way into the tube it shouldn't be. I was fortunately able to give an almighty cough and get it out, but I was pretty shaken, and my throat was fucked after so I'm pretty sure the other passengers think I gave them all COVID. Still coughing a lot an hour later.

Time for pizza, beer and sleeeeeeeeeep. Without gum in my mouth.

Glad you're ok, we really don't want to lose anyone here.

• Charles and Eddie - Would I Lie To You?

Well, you told me you were going to sing a good, interesting song, so: Yes!

Ian

• My friend Cesspit Dan is the only person I know who's actually, genuinely, fallen into a cesspit. There was a witness too (not me). How it happened is a bit fiddly to explain.

He claims he cycled the 5+ miles home "in 30 seconds". While he's genetally given to lavish exaggeration I'm sure he got home quickly and frantically.

The following morning his housemates politely enquired why, in the small hours, it sounded like he had 3 baths and 2 showers, and why the washing machine had been running all night.

He was too embarrassed to admit what had happened so impulsively said he'd suddenly developed a Howard Hughes style hygiene mania. Which, in a very real sense, he kind of had.

The reason he's also known as Bacon Dan is another story

Abandon all reason

• Has he ever been known as "Desperate Dan"? :P

(Back in the early 80's, I was in a meeting with several others in the office of a manager 2 levels above me. His phone rang, he answered, and after a short pause said, "Hello Dan, is it desperate?" I kid you not. He was briefly puzzled when we all laughed.)

Ian

• Has he ever been known as "Desperate Dan"? :P

(Back in the early 80's, I was in a meeting with several others in the office of a manager 2 levels above me. His phone rang, he answered, and after a short pause said, "Hello Dan, is it desperate?" I kid you not. He was briefly puzzled when we all laughed.)

No, his other names have included The D-Man, Dan Dan The Queen Man and Barcode Dan.

It would've capped it off if that manager had said "Is it desperate, Dan?"

At our school the Deputy Head would read out the names of miscreants who had to report to his office. One day when Kevin Rice and Stephen Curry were on his shit list, he had to quell the inevitable outburst of hysterics and threaten the whole of assembly with detention when he solemnly intoned "I want to see Curry and Rice in my office at lunch".

(Luckily Sean Fish and Peter Chips were off sick that day)

(As were Chris Rhubarb and Tony Custard)

(etc etc)

Abandon all reason

• Reminds me of that old cricket commentator quote, "The bowler's Holding, The batsman's Willey" :)

Ian