The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• West Ham Survived relegation and stay in the PL :):thumbup:

They won 3 games and drew in their last matches. ;)

That's no reason to celebrate....

Plus, they couldn't get their shit together to actually beat Villa and keep Bournemouth up. (not my team but my mum's, I've enjoyed them being in the PL - much better to watch than crappy West Ham - I'd have loved to see them get relegated)

😠

Abandon all reason

• That's no reason to celebrate....

Plus, they couldn't get their shit together to actually beat Villa and keep Bournemouth up. (not my team but my mum's, I've enjoyed them being in the PL - much better to watch than crappy West Ham - I'd have loved to see them get relegated)

😠

Yes it is!...;)^^

People support their own team. I have West Ham blood inside me ;)

• Yes it is!...;)^^

People support their own team. I have West Ham blood inside me ;)

Yeah I know how it works. Doesn't change the fact the PL would've been much better off with Bournemouth staying in it than rotten old WHU. Still, the rest of us can at least hope they go down next season.

:thumbup:

Abandon all reason

• Why are genitalia used as insults? They're damn useful and they bring us pleasure. Surely they're good things?

The employer of the term wants you to feel the depth of their emotion on a visceral level. It works for me! It's hard to beat a properly enunciated, deeply intoned 'balls', dragged out just long enough to evoke how disgusted/annoyed the swearer is.

That's no reason to celebrate....

😠

They couldn't be relegated. Impossible. Their manager is a winner. That's what he does - he wins. (Yes 28% of the time, or whatever it is, but a winner is a winner).

• The employer of the term wants you to feel the depth of their emotion on a visceral level. It works for me! It's hard to beat a properly enunciated, deeply intoned 'balls', dragged out just long enough to evoke how disgusted/annoyed the swearer is.

Yes, don't get me wrong, I do it. In your example, I'm more likely to use 'bollocks' but 'balls' can do the trick for sure. Certainly there are moments when you simply cannot beat a deeply cathartic "Oh SHIT!" But then that word describes something unpleasant so you can understand its use. Like most swear words it eventually becomes the shape and sound of the word and its expressiveness that works, rather than its true meaning. Some swearing morphs into positive usage such as "That is f***ing brilliant!" or "You magnificant bastard!" etc.

Then of course you have to consider the use of swearing in different cultures. The use of faeces as swear words is apparently not as widespread as you might think. And there are some really bizarre ones - I remember reading that in one culture, possibly a nordic country, "cancer sufferer" is an insult. Going back to my original question, many cultures specifically use female genital terms as abuse/swearing.

They couldn't be relegated. Impossible. Their manager is a winner. That's what he does - he wins. (Yes 28% of the time, or whatever it is, but a winner is a winner).

Oh yes the old "he's a winner" chestnut. As a Tottenham fan, I understand all about that - we were apparently going to win everything when Mourinho took over.

Abandon all reason

• That's no reason to celebrate....

😠

Hopefully you can participate in next season's football game thread. ;)

• Oh yes the old "he's a winner" chestnut. As a Tottenham fan, I understand all about that - we were apparently going to win everything when Mourinho took over.

it was a quote from the man himself (the chosen one!).... I've rarely laughed so hard. Such amazing lack of self awareness. As a Chelsea fan I say give JM time. He never should have been fired from us first time around. His reputation has taken several major hits in the last decade including his second stint with Chelsea but there is an incredible manager in there somewhere. He was never as boring as the press made out. We destroyed Barcelona at the bridge when we had to. Damien Duff through for our third goal within 20 minutes of the start... Beautiful stuff.

• Just watched Tony Banks being interviewed on Needle Time on YouTube. He has an uncanny knack of looking down his nose at people that that talk to him. Sure it's not deliberate or I guess he wouldn't do interviews at all. Makes me smile though! It must quite off putting for anyone talking to him.

• Just watched Tony Banks being interviewed on Needle Time on YouTube. He has an uncanny knack of looking down his nose at people that that talk to him. Sure it's not deliberate or I guess he wouldn't do interviews at all. Makes me smile though! It must quite off putting for anyone talking to him.

I have a lot of respect for Tony, very talented indeed and a great musician. But as a person, he is my worst out of the Genesis members from the band. Definitely higher education and all that has lost my respect as an individual..! ;)

Steve Hackett has also been on needle time, as has Mike Rutherford. Paul Carrack has too, might be of interest. David Gray has been on it, but don't waste your time. Nice guy, but boring as hell.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• One good reason to celebrate is my team (Leeds) being promoted to the PL after 16 long years away. Had a smile on my face ever since :)<3

Yes and I don't think they'll be a pushover. Bielsa has worked wonders.

LUFC have had an astonishing journey since they played in a Champions League semi in 2001. Not too long after that they were in administration, losing their stadium and playing in League One.

Next season will be interesting in the PL generally. Can Liverpool duplicate their amazing run? City are still strong but had some weaknesses exposed. Lampard and Solskjaer have strengthened CFC and Utd, both will be potentially difficult teams. Wolves became a hard team to beat, as did Leicester but both had late wobbles.

Tottenham, my own team have been undistinguished but picked up late on. I'm amazed they eked out a Europa spot. Very mediocre season for N London but the gooners got to the Final. Unusually for a Spur, I want them to win as I detest CFC. Both N London clubs have serious overhauls needed.

Of course, it'd be great to see West Ham relegated next season - fingers crossed!

Abandon all reason

• Personally I think its always overstated how supposedly snobby he is - but what's it got to do with higher education?

Tony did go to university but dropped out for which I am sure we are all grateful. As someone who has a degree, I'm not sure how 'higher education' is supposed to be a blight on someone's character. That's how he talks. It's English reserve, which doesn't even necessarily equate with the ''higher education' stuff

• Tony did go to university but dropped out for which I am sure we are all grateful. As someone who has a degree, I'm not sure how 'higher education' is supposed to be a blight on someone's character. That's how he talks. It's English reserve, which doesn't even necessarily equate with the ''higher education' stuff

Agreed.

He can occasionally come across as a bit stiff, and that was quite prevalent in the Sum Of The Parts doc. But most of the time, at least in interviews I've seen, he seems quite affable and sometimes even a bit self-deprecating.

Ultimately, he can be the most stuck-up snob possible if he wants. I really don't care. He's not there to be my friend or prove to me he's a nice bloke. He's at the heart of one of my favourite bands, which is all I'm bothered about. As long as he's not a secret nazi or microwaves puppies as a hobby, he can be however he likes.

Abandon all reason

• Just heard to Dancing Queen by Abba on the radio. Whenever I hear it I get a strong visualisation of 3 or 4 women dancing somewhat awkwardly in circle around their handbags early on at a wedding reception!

• Just heard to Dancing Queen by Abba on the radio. Whenever I hear it I get a strong visualisation of 3 or 4 women dancing somewhat awkwardly in circle around their handbags early on at a wedding reception!

You’re lucky then! Some of us still can’t escape the image of the wretched Theresa May woodenly shuffling across the stage to it, desperately trying to look popular. I’d much rather visualise the handbag dancers ^^