The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• Me too. I've been dreadfully tired this past week. Taking advantage of being in our air-conditioned home on this very hot and very lazy day. Just woke up from a long nap. Been getting lots of zzzz's. :sleeping::thumbup:

• This time is my favourite suede song. It's also a very good smashing pumpkins song, but not my favorite.

I hope they were smoke alarms and not carbon monoxide alarms. We bought a house last year and this random alarm lying on a table in the basement kept going off. I thought it was some faulty relic of the previous owners. I threw it out (the house was old but had been inspected. Surely everything was fine?!). Several months later we had a chimney company in to take a look at the chimneys and give us a quote for any work that might be needed to make the fireplaces functional. In the course of the inspection he ended up down in the basement where he discovered that a vent coming from either an oil fired furnace or gas fired boiler was horribly corroded and likely leaking CO into the house. It's fixed, I replaced the alarm, we're all fine... But I assume the original alarm was not broken and we 'got away with it'.

In short, I'm clearly a dummy and I presume you are not... Also, enjoy every sandwich.

Bloody hell, good thing the chimney technician knew his stuff. We do have CO alarms but no, it was our smoke alarms that blasted us out of bed in the small hours. It gave us a creepy idea of how unnerving it'd be to wake up to an alarm for a real fire.

Obviously a relief it wasn't a fire but a mystery why they went off. I wondered if they were triggered by a momentary power dropout.

One good outcome - as I struggled to get back off I decided to put some music on and chose A Map Of The Floating City by Thomas Dolby, prompted by having just read his autobiography. I hadn't heard it for years and got reacquainted with what an excellent album it is. I heard the whole thing then managed to get back to sleep!

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Bloody hell, good thing the chimney technician knew his stuff. We do have CO alarms but no, it was our smoke alarms that blasted us out of bed in the small hours. It gave us a creepy idea of how unnerving it'd be to wake up to an alarm for a real fire.

Obviously a relief it wasn't a fire but a mystery why they went off. I wondered if they were triggered by a momentary power dropout.

One good outcome - as I struggled to get back off I decided to put some music on and chose A Map Of The Floating City by Thomas Dolby, prompted by having just read his autobiography. I hadn't heard it for years and got reacquainted with what an excellent album it is. I heard the whole thing then managed to get back to sleep!

My mum's (mains powered) smoke alarm went off a few weeks back for no reason, around 5pm. Wonder if it was caused by AC mains not being accurate 50Hz owing to Covid staffing issues.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• My mum's (mains powered) smoke alarm went off a few weeks back for no reason, around 5pm. Wonder if it was caused by AC mains not being accurate 50Hz owing to Covid staffing issues.

I'm fairly sure it's going to be something along those lines - ours are mains

Abandon all reason

• My mum's (mains powered) smoke alarm went off a few weeks back for no reason, around 5pm. Wonder if it was caused by AC mains not being accurate 50Hz owing to Covid staffing issues.

Smoke alarms are not meant to go off because of power glitches. They might make a chirping sound, but that's about it.

Generally they will have a battery back up in case of outages. ;)

Does your Mum smoke:?:..^^

• As there are no F1 fans here!... Lewis Hamilton Pole lap at the Austrian Grand Prix 1.2 from second place Verstapen . A remarkable gap unheard of, specially in the wet.

Plus Hamilton wins the Austrian Grand Prix. ;)

• As there are no F1 fans here!... Lewis Hamilton Pole lap at the Austrian Grand Prix 1.2 from second place Verstapen . A remarkable gap unheard of, specially in the wet.

NO, sorry. Motorsport fan (BTCC, WRC) but F1 is too much based on pit stop policy and which teams are currently setting the standard to be interesting or exciting. BTCC suffered this too for a little while, but they altered rules to shake things up.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Batman related.

There is a town in Turkey called Batman.

Plus a town called Penguin in Tasmani.
    Also a town in West Virginia called Joker.

Not forgetting 8 towns or Cities in the world called Alfred.
    7 of which are in North America.

I like F1 but none of the races are shown on Australian free to air TV except (surprise) the Australian race, which this year was cancelled.

• I think I'm getting tinnitus now. Not all the time but it's pig. I keep getting a continuous high pitched tone .Like living with fucking Tangerine Dream .

Tut Tut, wash your mouth out. TD are in my top 3 of all artists/bands ever

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Tut Tut, wash your mouth out. TD are in my top 3 of all artists/bands ever

^^ Never saw the appeal. I used to joke many years ago that the BBC played them every night when the TV closed down after the national anthem. One small white dot and TD as the soundtrack.!! That s what I keep getting. Going to get the soap now!!

• ^^ Never saw the appeal. I used to joke many years ago that the BBC played them every night when the TV closed down after the national anthem. One small white dot and TD as the soundtrack.!! That s what I keep getting. Going to get the soap now!!

Nothing wrong with white noise, I love it. One of my most missed cassettes was one consisting entirely of shortwave radio noise, oh man I loved that tape. I'd discovered that by carefully tuning the SW band on my dad's radio cassette player, I could pick up these weird and wonderful sounds and in particular one that was like a continuous sustained low guitar power chord blended with a very loud fuzztoned bass pedal, with slight undulations. It was gorgeous and I recorded this whole tape of it. It was great to listen to over earphones in the dark and perfect for lulling me to sleep. I still occasionally conjure it up in my mind.

Incidentally, through this SW radio experimentation I realised what Gabriel meant by "When the night shows, the signals grow on radios". The sounds only happened in the evening, during the day there was virtually nothing.

You'd also get those distorted morse code transmissions. Bob Mould used it brilliantly at the end of Tilted, on the Sugar album Beaster.

Abandon all reason

• I'm not very familiar with them. What do you recommend?

Depends if you like electronic music with virtually no vocals. Apart from on the internet forums like this I don't have any friends who like them so maybe I am weird.;) I prefer their music from 70's - Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet etc but enjoy all eras and line ups. You will be able to check out some sounds on you tube.

• Depends if you like electronic music with virtually no vocals. Apart from on the internet forums like this I don't have any friends who like them so maybe I am weird.;) I prefer their music from 70's - Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet etc but enjoy all eras and line ups. You will be able to check out some sounds on you tube.

Thanks, I will. I'm up for pretty much anything so near-vocalless electronic sounds worth a go to me.

Abandon all reason

• Thanks, I will. I'm up for pretty much anything so near-vocalless electronic sounds worth a go to me.

When I say virtually no vocals - they have brought out over 150 albums and there is only a handful that have any vocals at all