The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• I'm not a stargazer by any means but I read an article a couple weeks ago that Mars is unusually bright these days. I then saw this very bright reddish 'star' that wasn't twinkling, and used a phone app to confirm that it was Mars. It's really striking. I see it every morning walking to the train. What's even cooler is if I turn 180 degrees, there's a very bright white thing in the opposite direction that's not twinkling and it turns out it's Venus. At that time they are both the brightest things in the sky pretty much and they line up fairly perfectly so the earth/I am in the middle. It's a trippy feeling.

Trippy!

A planisphere is a relatively cheap and useful purchase (or a good xmas/birthday list inclusion) and can be carried easily in a pocket. I was a bit of an astronomy enthusiast as a kid and had a telescope, star charts etc. I didn't pursue it beyond that but was given a planisphere for my birthday a while back and have enjoyed using it since.

Abandon all reason

• Trippy!

A planisphere is a relatively cheap and useful purchase (or a good xmas/birthday list inclusion) and can be carried easily in a pocket. I was a bit of an astronomy enthusiast as a kid and had a telescope, star charts etc. I didn't pursue it beyond that but was given a planisphere for my birthday a while back and have enjoyed using it since.

It is trippy, it's amazing to think about the motion of celestial bodies and how small we are.

Thanks for the tip. A planisphere - I confess I've never heard of such a thing but will investigate. I had downloaded an app where I point my phone at the sky and it shows me what's up there. It's called sky map I think. This is screen grab from it. I never would have realized there was so much stuff line up with the moon right now!

• I became a Granddad for the second time yesterday. Bonnie is my daughter's second child , born two years to the day after Percy , her first.

Congratulations!! Hope all are well. Always good to hear some positive news, moreso nowadays. How nice to have a shared birthday like that too. We have three in a week in our house (wife/newest arrival one day after/oldest daughter four days after that).

• You know the drawer I mean. We all have one. What else goes in that drawer apart from:

Mystery keys

Strangely shaped metal or plastic implement the purpose of which is unfathomable

Loose fuses which may or may not be usable

Couple of batteries which fit no known device

Wildly out of date takeaway menus

Never-used roll of green twine

Little sachets (or tiny plastic fishes) of soy sauce

Abandon all reason

• Absolutely!

:thumbup:

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Mowed the lawns earlier.

We're in a rental but I've already told Mrs B that when we buy somewhere the whole lawn situation is to be re-assessed. I hate lawns. Fortunately she's as keen as I am to try having a small meadow instead of a lawn.

People rhapsodise over neat well-kept lawns but I can't stand them.

Abandon all reason

• Mowed the lawns earlier.

We're in a rental but I've already told Mrs B that when we buy somewhere the whole lawn situation is to be re-assessed. I hate lawns. Fortunately she's as keen as I am to try having a small meadow instead of a lawn.

People rhapsodise over neat well-kept lawns but I can't stand them.

Aren't meadows bigger than lawns?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Aren't meadows bigger than lawns?

I don't know if there is a standard minimum area for official meadow definition. I'm envisioning a "normal" lawn size, but meadow grass and wild flowers instead of a conventional lawn.

Certainly we're more accustomed to thinking of a meadow as something the size of a field.

Abandon all reason

• Mrs Farmer grows things in the garden and likes to sit outside and look at it. I cut things down and like go back in as soon as it's done.

sounds like a perfect relationship.

^^

I never do gardenwork. My wife does it and I like to sit outside and look at it.

- Red Seven -

• I do not feel guilty, because I do things instead, my wife wouldn`t do. It is all well balanced.

- Red Seven -

• I do not feel guilty, because I do things instead, my wife wouldn`t do. It is all well balanced.

Ah, fair enough.

Soon, for us it'll be moot. Later this month we move to a house with no garden. Bliss! I think, anyway. I'm looking forward to no gardening at least.

Abandon all reason