The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• Petrichor.

**WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP** - ^ do you know what 'petrichor' is?

I had never heard it until I saw it mentioned yesterday and had to look it up, and discovered it's a word for a very familiar thing that I had no idea even had a name.

It sounds like something from Lord of the Rings - (slow momentous voice) "We.... will..... take..... the..... battle..... to...... PETRICHOR!"

Or maybe a Bond villain.

Abandon all reason

• Have been thinking a bit about this and coming up short. Trying to look at the roots of the word, and thinking 'petri' is roughly 'of stone' as in petrified.

But I have no idea what 'chor' is. And when you say it's a familiar thing, I'm trying to think of common stone-related objects but maybe it's a feeling or a sound.

Actually that got me thinking, is 'chor' the same chor that's in chorus? Maybe petrichor is silence? Or the sound a stone makes when it tells me to stop bullshitting?!

• Have been thinking a bit about this and coming up short. Trying to look at the roots of the word, and thinking 'petri' is roughly 'of stone' as in petrified.

But I have no idea what 'chor' is. And when you say it's a familiar thing, I'm trying to think of common stone-related objects but maybe it's a feeling or a sound.

Actually that got me thinking, is 'chor' the same chor that's in chorus? Maybe petrichor is silence? Or the sound a stone makes when it tells me to stop bullshitting?!

Well done for at least trying to reason it through. You are right that the 'petri-' part of it derives from 'stone'. I was very intrigued by hearing this word for the first time last week, as I said it describes something I'm sure we've all experienced but I had no idea there was actually a word for it. I gather it was coined in the 1960s.

I'm sure no-one else is going to be particularly bothered about this but just in case anyone wants to also have a guess, I'll let it hang for another day or two then I'll explain - if anyone wants to look it up of course do so but please let the suspense, such as it is, hold for now.

I will give a clue - unlikely to help at all but, it's weather-related. In fact, looking out my window at the weather right now, when I go out shortly I'll no doubt experience some petrichor myself.

Abandon all reason

• Well done for at least trying to reason it through. You are right that the 'petri-' part of it derives from 'stone'. I was very intrigued by hearing this word for the first time last week, as I said it describes something I'm sure we've all experienced but I had no idea there was actually a word for it. I gather it was coined in the 1960s.

I'm sure no-one else is going to be particularly bothered about this but just in case anyone wants to also have a guess, I'll let it hang for another day or two then I'll explain - if anyone wants to look it up of course do so but please let the suspense, such as it is, hold for now.

I will give a clue - unlikely to help at all but, it's weather-related. In fact, looking out my window at the weather right now, when I go out shortly I'll no doubt experience some petrichor myself.

Is it to do with that old practical joke. You hang a stone up, and a sign saying, if the stone is dry, the weather is fine, if it's wet, it's raining? :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• petros is the Greek word for stone. Ichor is Greek for blood of the gods. Petrichor describes the smell of wet stone after the rain. The smell is caused by biological pheremones that sink into the stone and reveal their smell when the stone gets moist.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• petros is the Greek word for stone. Ichor is Greek for blood of the gods. Petrichor describes the smell of wet stone after the rain. The smell is caused by biological pheremones that sink into the stone and reveal their smell when the stone gets moist.

Okay everyone, you don't in fact have to hang on - this is indeed it.

Yes it's that very distinctive 'earthy' aroma that comes with rainfall. Something I'd known for decades without knowing it had an actual name.

When you look it up, some sources say it's specifically when rain falls after a long dry period. They also generally tend to say it's caused when rain falls on certain types of soil, not just stone but certainly the two Australian researchers who coined the term were studying rocks when they isolated the substance that mainly creates the aroma. I've also read that some people say they can smell rainfall before it happens, and it's thought this is due to build-up of pre-rain humidity which traps moisture in rock pores which then release the scent.

A favourite book title of mine is the great Richard Feynman's The Pleasure of Finding Things Out. It sums up how enjoyable and interesting it is discovering stuff you didn't know. I'm pleased to add new words like this to my noodle while it's still capable of taking them in.

Abandon all reason

• Cool!

I wonder what the purpose of those pheromones is? I always thought those were chemicals with a biological purpose, like attraction or warning. Maybe the pre-rain release allows nature to take some evasive action?

Thanks for the interesting diversion. I like stuff like this!

• Had to go to Hospital to get tests done on my leg yesterday. My left leg and blown up the size of a red balloon. Both my skin was tight and very red and sore like sun burn. After having a shower on Friday night my leg started to blister. Having had an Ultra scan and blood work done and spending 9 hours in the waiting room without food or drink, I was finally giving a prescription of Antibiotics which lasts a week. 1 tablet every 6 hours. My left leg is very painful at the moment.:(<X

Probably a viral infection.

• Official Post

Ouch. Get well soon Noni!

• Had to go to Hospital to get tests done on my leg yesterday. My left leg and blown up the size of a red balloon. Both my skin was tight and very red and sore like sun burn. After having a shower on Friday night my leg started to blister. Having had an Ultra scan and blood work done and spending 9 hours in the waiting room without food or drink, I was finally giving a prescription of Antibiotics which lasts a week. 1 tablet every 6 hours. My left leg is very painful at the moment.:(<X

Very sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Noni. I pray it's not serious. You mentioned you spend time in crawl spaces as an electrician. Maybe you have a bug bite. Thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon :(

Sorry to hear that. I hope the antibiotics work quickly. Sounds painful;(

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Although I'm not American I live there and two of my kids are American. I have to stuff myself full of quorn roast, stuffing, potatoes and gravy for them. And pumpkin pie. Not so much wine since I have work tomorrow because for reasons that will forever be beyond my comprehension it's a big holiday that's on a Thursday.

• LOL. Happy Thanksgiving! Most companies I've worked for give their employees Friday off as well. My company would prefer I work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, but I do have my limits. We're going to my daughter's family's home for turkey dinner. My 83-year-old mom is coming too. It's been a tough couple years with COVID and all the political unrest, but I feel very blessed nonetheless. I hope you all do as well.

• I'm even less American than watcher, what with not living there and all. But all the same, all best wishes to everyone here who celebrates today. I used to work with an American and was honoured that he invited me over to his family's Thanksgiving dinner one year. I enjoyed great hospitality and lots of delicious food.

Mrs Backdrifter and I go full-on for our xmas indulgence so in a way I'm glad we don't have two blow-outs only one month apart!

Abandon all reason