The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• Since the coronavirus thread was shut down and the topic seems politically sensitive enough that a small number of fans of an old rock group can blow up at each other about it such that a separate thread seems unwise (and unwanted I'd guess), I thought I'd drop a random thought or two in here.

I'm so frigging tired of this shit. I haven't seen my parents in two years and they're supposed to visit in a couple of weeks and now this new (TG they didn't go with 'nu' haha) variant has blown up so quickly I'm afraid travel will shut. And if it does I'll understand, I think the precautionary principle is pretty important here. But it will suck.

That's all. Also I hope it's not as bad as it might be.

• Since the coronavirus thread was shut down and the topic seems politically sensitive enough that a small number of fans of an old rock group can blow up at each other about it such that a separate thread seems unwise (and unwanted I'd guess), I thought I'd drop a random thought or two in here.

I'm so frigging tired of this shit. I haven't seen my parents in two years and they're supposed to visit in a couple of weeks and now this new (TG they didn't go with 'nu' haha) variant has blown up so quickly I'm afraid travel will shut. And if it does I'll understand, I think the precautionary principle is pretty important here. But it will suck.

That's all. Also I hope it's not as bad as it might be.

Based on early reports, it's not, but time will tell. Covid is endemic, by all accounts, so think of it as another "flu" for which we will most likely need an annual booster shot. To think this will disappear soon is illusory based on all the variants. in some twisted way, it reminds me of traveling pre- and post-9/11. We've adjusted, however painfully, to tons of new security measures and we still travel. The same will be true with Covid, I suspect - we'll deal with it. Best of luck with your parents; I know the feeling.

• Personally I am not willing to keep getting Moderna jabs for the rest of my life. I had my two shots. I eat right (mostly vegan), get my nutrients and vitamins, and I try to avoid Black Friday style crowds. I’m at the point that if I get it, I get it. Whatever. I’m at the point I think COVID, which is quite real, is being overblown and definitely used politically. Im not an antivaxxer to be sure (just got my flu shot), but I can’t imagine pumping protein spiking MRNA fluids into ourselves for years being a good thing.

• The other night I was gazing at our wood stove as the logs were flaming and the stove-top thermometer registered over 200C. I looked at my phone, looked at the stove, and thought: what would happen if I lay the phone on top of the stove? The top itself isn't at 200C but it's certainly too hot to touch, must be approaching 100C. If I lay the phone flat on top, switched on and screen facing upwards, what would I actually see? How long would it take to die and what would it look like?

Very tempting...

Abandon all reason

• When I plug my phone in to charge why does the notifications bar oscillate between 2 hours til full, 4 hours, 5 hours, even sometimes 32 hours? Often within moments? I've learned to check it as sometimes after hours of charging it's only gone up by <5%. It's very inconsistent, most times it's fine.

EDIT: I realise this is a variation of a query I posted in this thread in September, to which foxfeeder kindly replied, but it's differently nuanced.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• When I plug my phone in to charge why does the notifications bar oscillate between 2 hours til full, 4 hours, 5 hours, even sometimes 32 hours? Often within moments? I've learned to check it as sometimes after hours of charging it's only gone up by <5%. It's very inconsistent, most times it's fine.

EDIT: I realise this is a variation of a query I posted in this thread in September, to which foxfeeder kindly replied, but it's differently nuanced.

On a very related theme, I've had two or three expensive enough phones now where the ability to charge the battery dies after around two years. Like clockwork. And it's not the battery itself, it's the connection between the charger and the phone. I have to try several times to jimmy the charger in at just the right angle and with the right torque and if I'm lucky, it will sit right. Inevitably after weeks of this, it either stops working altogether or I get too pissed off to continue. The end result is, surprise surprise, a new phone. If I was given to believing conspiracy theories, I'd almost think it was by design. But giant corporate entities that manufacture disposable devices are far too noble, magnanimous, charitable, honorable for that kind of carry on.

It makes me wonder if your issue is a similar phenomenon. I've noticed sometimes when my phone-charger symbiote is in the death throes described above, it seems like there's a make-break connection where it'll charge for a few minutes then stop. But it's unpredictable.

On a completely unrelated theme, ever since the Genesis gig a couple of weeks ago, Duchess keeps popping into my head unbidden at random times, and I love it.

• Just watched a video called Pop Gear witched aired in 1965 from UK.

Just amazed that every band that appeared had tight suites and little showing on the ties. Similar fashion to the Beatles.

Also every drummer had a very small drum kit! ^^

• F1 driver Lewis Hamilton will not quit the sport. He's signed for 2 years more years on his contract and has lots to achieve despite him being a 7 times WC Champion.

The press are saying he will quit. Brother of Lewis said that he has broken everything from social media just to keep quiet and speculate.

Don't blame him after he was robbed after another title by FIA that coming from 2007. :evil: