The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• Anyone use Windows 11? My PC has 10 installed but I keep getting the message asking me if I want to install 11. Resisted so far but wondered if I should. Any thoughts?

I'm continuing to resist. Ive heard bad things. From what I understand, they made it better for gamers, which I couldn't care less about, and threw everyone else under the bus.

• I'm continuing to resist. Ive heard bad things. From what I understand, they made it better for gamers, which I couldn't care less about, and threw everyone else under the bus.

Agreed. There are lots of youtube videos about how to avoid the upgrade for now, if you keep getting it the marketing push from Microsoft. It's even questionable if you can upgrade, you need to run a utility to decide if your PC can even run W11, though it is certainly possible to do so even if the utility tells you your computer doesn't meet the requirements. Microsoft even now have a page about how to do just that, although it has the usual caveats in place. Bottom line is that W10 now has a "supported until Oct 2025" guarantee, so I'd stick with it at least until then, hopefully, W11 won't be such a train crash by then *, and the range of machines that can run it may have been extended.

* Funny that, a new system from Windows that is almost unusable on release. You'd hope they'd have learnt by now.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I would because things will start to fall apart, apps won't work properly. It is like the equivalent of missing Windows updates.

• John Lydon is back in the headlines again. This time promoting a film he hates , I think because of who made it , in same way the establishment promoted the Sex Pistols . i.e" it's shocking, get rid." I've always found him intriguing. Always found him an arse .

• Anyone use Windows 11? My PC has 10 installed but I keep getting the message asking me if I want to install 11. Resisted so far but wondered if I should. Any thoughts?

I just installed it and the major difference so far is that the fingerprint scanner, which hasn't worked for months, works again to log me in 🤷‍♂️.

• Just watched Pink Floyd Momentary Lapse Of Reason DVD. For some reason they put Yet Another Movie / Round and Around / New Machine / Terminal Frost as a bonus tracks rather than incorporating them as part of the show. Odd. Would have been better put in just as the show was and in the right running order. They make our you're getting something extra when it's not as good as should be. Still despite the faults , an awesome couple of hours

• Yes. That and "don't be so pass-remarkable".

You got me on "pass-remarkable". That's literally the first time I've heard of that! Could it be Ireland specific?

But what was "rude to point" about?! Who the hell decided on that?

"Stop showing off" and "don't sing at the table" (which in itself could be a form of showing off I suppose) were two others. "Don't talk with your mouth full" too, though I'd extend that to talking while eating at all, even with mouth just partially full - I find it disgusting.

Abandon all reason

• You got me on "pass-remarkable". That's literally the first time I've heard of that! Could it be Ireland specific?

Very possible. I've never heard it anywhere else either.

My favorite old Irish person things to hear came from my great grandmother. It didn't matter how brilliant things were going, if you asked her how she was, the answer was invariably "musha, middling". (As in: things are terrible, but I'm getting by, just about).

And my grandmother had a cousin who was a Franciscan brother in the US, he was enormous, like 350lbs massive. Whenever my great grandmother saw him at family gatherings, she'd say "bless you father you're awful stout" and stout was pronounced "shtout". He'd clench his fists and jaw and get through it 😆.

Talking while eating? Gross - shut that shit down.

• We had an outage on Wednesday last week. The power company was doing an upgrade. Being that I work from home and rely on power to do my job, I lost a couple of hours of work.

You should get a generator ;) 🤪

But then again you won't have access to the internet :/.

😁

• The above two posts have reminded me that from time to time I wonder if a big coronal mass ejection happened and everything electronic died, exactly how bad would it get, how long would it take and what could I do to keep myself and my family alive, being that my survival skills extend as far as being able to navigate the local grocery store.

My suspicions are very, not long at all, and who knows? Maybe get out of dodge, away from densely populated areas, but then you've got no shelter or base of operations.

• The above two posts have reminded me that from time to time I wonder if a big coronal mass ejection happened and everything electronic died, exactly how bad would it get, how long would it take and what could I do to keep myself and my family alive, being that my survival skills extend as far as being able to navigate the local grocery store.

My suspicions are very, not long at all, and who knows? Maybe get out of dodge, away from densely populated areas, but then you've got no shelter or base of operations.

There's a saying, something along the lines of "a society is only 3 meals away from total anarchy"

Abandon all reason

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Full show

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This show gets played every year in Germany on all channels

Dinner For One!