The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• As anyone who had to listen to "Sing Something Simple" on a Sunday night will tell you, the week starts on Monday morning! ;)

Had to?

The start of Sing Something Simple meant the Top 20 show and Sunday tea had ended, and the sinking feeling of having to finally start the homework I'd been avoiding all weekend. So in that sense, that theme tune certainly signalled the weekend was over.

But it usually got switched off before the theme tune ended.

Abandon all reason

• Had to?

The start of Sing Something Simple meant the Top 20 show and Sunday tea had ended, and the sinking feeling of having to finally start the homework I'd been avoiding all weekend. So in that sense, that theme tune certainly signalled the weekend was over.

But it usually got switched off before the theme tune ended.

You mean your parents didn't trip you up on the way to the radio?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Funny, I've been thinking about this only a few days ago.

Week starts on Monday, all our calendars show the week with Monday as the first day on the left and Sunday as the final day on the right side. Back in my school days, some elderly teachers said Sunday used to be the first day and this was only changed to Monday by "the industry", also they claimed this change hasn't been "too long ago". When I asked my parents they said this is "quite a time back in the past". I never found out when they officially changed it.

Anyways, my US-American ex-fiancée said their week starts with Sunday. When I asked her what she calls weekend then she said Saturday and Sunday. I was confused: Sunday is the first and last day of the week at once? She said she never thought about that...

Now I still wonder what Americans would refer to as starting point of "next week".

• Funny, I've been thinking about this only a few days ago.

Week starts on Monday, all our calendars show the week with Monday as the first day on the left and Sunday as the final day on the right side. Back in my school days, some elderly teachers said Sunday used to be the first day and this was only changed to Monday by "the industry", also they claimed this change hasn't been "too long ago". When I asked my parents they said this is "quite a time back in the past". I never found out when they officially changed it.

Anyways, my US-American ex-fiancée said their week starts with Sunday. When I asked her what she calls weekend then she said Saturday and Sunday. I was confused: Sunday is the first and last day of the week at once? She said she never thought about that...

Now I still wonder what Americans would refer to as starting point of "next week".

Another argument we could raise, why do we call it the Weekend?....:)

For me the week starts on a Monday. ;)

• Sunday is both the first and last day of the week, both at the same time. I grew up believing that Sunday was the first day, which always struck me as odd. Monday feels like the first day and always has but if I refer to the days Monday to Saturday following a Sunday I will say "this week" and the the following Sunday to Saturday as next week. Of course it's Week end so Sunday should be and feels like the last day and all the calanders say so. HOWEVER with no research whatsoever I pose the question; When did the Weekend first occur? When did Saturday become a regular non work day, in the Christian world. I know Sunday has been a non work day to allow for worship for a very long time , bit I think the factories first started reduced hours at the weekend by only working Sat morning whilst many a man would go and watch the football on the afternoon , and I'm guessing the 1930's .

When God made the world he rested on the 7th day, ( the Sabbath) which would have been Saturday as it's in the Old Testament so that's the last day of the week , so the week-end , with Sunday being the first day. The Christians had their Sabbath on a Sunday. So an interesting question. I have no issue at all with Sunday being both the first and last day and Monday always the first day.

• if I refer to the days Monday to Saturday following a Sunday I will say "this week" and the the following Sunday to Saturday as next week.

Coming off of this, if on a Monday someone says something is happening "next Wednesday" would you take that to mean Wednesday of the following week (ie, 'Wednesday week')? That's what I'd do, but I've heard people argue that it literally means the next Wednesday to occur, ie the day after tomorrow in this example, which I'd call "this Wednesday".

Abandon all reason

• The Gregorian calendar, currently used in most countries, is derived from the Hebrew calendar, where Sunday is considered the beginning of the week. Although in Judaism the Sabbath is on Saturday, while in Christianity it is on Sunday, Sunday is considered the beginning of the week in both religious traditions.

• Coming off of this, if on a Monday someone says something is happening "next Wednesday" would you take that to mean Wednesday of the following week (ie, 'Wednesday week')? That's what I'd do, but I've heard people argue that it literally means the next Wednesday to occur, ie the day after tomorrow in this example, which I'd call "this Wednesday".

Yes - the following week. If it's 'this Wednesday', all you have to say is 'on Wednesday'!

• Coming off of this, if on a Monday someone says something is happening "next Wednesday" would you take that to mean Wednesday of the following week (ie, 'Wednesday week')?

Usually yes, I would. However, if the something in question was an event that I would rather be having a colonoscopy than attend, then I would misinterpret. "Oh, I thought you meant the recital was that Wednesday. Shit! Sorry about that..."

• Usually yes, I would. However, if the something in question was an event that I would rather be having a colonoscopy than attend, then I would misinterpret. "Oh, I thought you meant the recital was that Wednesday. Shit! Sorry about that..."

Bloody hell. What recital is this you'd prefer to avoid by having a colonoscopy?!

I now have an image of the colonoscopist saying "I heard you've sadly had to miss a recital for this procedure. Well, good news - I have a live feed of the recital to play so you don't miss out!"

Abandon all reason

• Bloody hell. What recital is this you'd prefer to avoid by having a colonoscopy?!

Aunt Petunia's choir group where the highlight is the bland angel food fingers her cronies stand around devouring in the church hall at the intermission. Or an acquaintance's offspring's elementary school oboe quartet. (Made up examples, also with too many possessives which I don't know how to work).

I now have an image of the colonoscopist saying "I heard you've sadly had to miss a recital for this procedure. Well, good news - I have a live feed of the recital to play so you don't miss out!"

This should have been discussed as part of the consent process. I'd maybe insist on general anesthesia just as a precaution 😀

• Usually yes, I would. However, if the something in question was an event that I would rather be having a colonoscopy than attend, then I would misinterpret. "Oh, I thought you meant the recital was that Wednesday. Shit! Sorry about that..."

Recital or Rectal?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• an acquaintance's offspring's elementary school oboe quartet. (Made up example, also with too many possessives which I don't know how to work).

I don't mind the multiple possessives. Reminds me I've tried introducing the multiple contraction might'nt've. This follows my attempt to start a new pronunciation of banana, as "banner-NAR" instead of "ba-NAR-na". Friends obligingly started using it but to my knowledge it never caught on.

Yes, schoolkids doing stuff is mostly terrible.

Abandon all reason

• I don't mind the multiple possessives. Reminds me I've tried introducing the multiple contraction might'nt've. This follows my attempt to start a new pronunciation of banana, as "banner-NAR" instead of "ba-NAR-na". Friends obligingly started using it but to my knowledge it never caught on.

Yes, schoolkids doing stuff is mostly terrible.

Neither are correct. It's a B- nan-a. (nan rhymes with gran).

• Neither are correct. It's a B- nan-a. (nan rhymes with gran).

I read that as bee-nan. Ah! ...with the last syllable like the sound you make after you chug a few mouthfuls of bracingly cold water on a swelteringly hot day.

I don't mind the multiple possessives. Reminds me I've tried introducing the multiple contraction might'nt've.

I think I use this regularly in speech but it's an ambitious one for the written form. Should there be an apostrophe between n and the second t because there's a missing o?