The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• Well that didn't take long... I haven't used it and assume it doesn't spit out 3D/immersive videos but this whole field seems to be accelerating very rapidly. How long before we have a holodeck type creation?

https://twitter.com/hasantoxr/…HQ9a3h9PCNDyS6L6O-Cg&s=19

In which, according to Star Trek TNG, you'll be able to physically harm or kill yourself and others by "disengaging safety protocols"

Abandon all reason

• In which, according to Star Trek TNG, you'll be able to physically harm or kill yourself and others by "disengaging safety protocols"

:D Yes, and they're always *so* much more difficult to turn back on again, once they've been turned off, leaving everyone in mortal peril. Funny how that works.

• Earlier, I was sitting on my favourite bench in Bushy Park, SW London, overlooking the small lake there. I had a strong temptation to frisbee my phone into the water. Maybe try skimming it like a pebble. But I didn't.

Abandon all reason

• Last night was the first time in my life I saw a brass band that played these weird instruments:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The band (not the one in the video but a copy of them) appeared in the middle of a carnival party, played a few songs and marched back out. Actually it was fun, people were dancing and cheering, a welcome change in a party that had a laptop DJ being the only entertainer for hours - still I have to admit these strange instruments seem both fascinating and creepy to me. They come in a variety of names (I prefer horns of Jericho) and they are said to be super easy for beginners so being in a band like this is all about the fun. Still, they look and sound to me like a nightmare turned reality. They remind me on a cartoon story I once read, something about aliens seeding musical flowers on Earth that keep growing bigger and louder till they nearly destroy the planet. The day units of artificial intelligence start playing these things has to be the final doomsday of mankind.

• You asked for it, dude:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I love the beautiful rebellious one being maverick by wearing a cap instead of a stetson.

In the first minute or so does the same man walk past in the same direction twice?

That 360 pan around, giving us a view of the largely impassive audience, is the most dispiriting thing I've seen so far in 2023.

Abandon all reason

• Yeah it's okay.

😆. I have always preferred wish you were here and animals (and on some level I enjoy meddle and the division bell as much or more also). But I can see how DSOTM is the iconic one. I also find it hard to imagine how it sounded to listeners in 1973, when there were much fewer tools for making aural magic happen in the studio.

• 😆. I have always preferred wish you were here and animals (and on some level I enjoy meddle and the division bell as much or more also). But I can see how DSOTM is the iconic one. I also find it hard to imagine how it sounded to listeners in 1973, when there were much fewer tools for making aural magic happen in the studio.

I completely get its iconic status and recognise the achievement. It's just one of those ones that overall doesn't excite me much. I think Brain Damage/Eclipse is a powerful ending, Us & Them is great dreamy texturing and the line "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" might be Waters's finest lyrical moment.

I'm not much of a PF fan generally. If I listen to anything I'm most lijeky to visit Meddle (Fearless is a favourite) ir, as you say, TDB.

I saw them in London in 94 when they did the whole of Dark Side.

Abandon all reason

• I completely get its iconic status and recognise the achievement. It's just one of those ones that overall doesn't excite me much. I think Brain Damage/Eclipse is a powerful ending, Us & Them is great dreamy texturing and the line "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" might be Waters's finest lyrical moment.

I'm not much of a PF fan generally. If I listen to anything I'm most lijeky to visit Meddle (Fearless is a favourite) ir, as you say, TDB.

I saw them in London in 94 when they did the whole of Dark Side.

I agree with your feelings on DSOTM although I do consider myself a fan of the band. I've drifted away over time I suppose. To be clear, I was cackling at the quippy nature of your succinct post, not the content!

In terms of the album, since it is it's day (of sorts), I also like on the run, Great gig in the sky, and Any color you like. Time and money have entered the zone of Hotel California in terms of familiarity. Any nerve endings they ever hit have been long since deadened and rendered inexcitable. On some level the same could be said of the album. I listen to bits of it rarely these days, whereas I'm much more likely to dip into the other albums I mentioned more frequently. I have a particular fondness for TDB.

• When you're on the phone to someone who's eating while talking - yeggghhhhh.

Talking through a mouthful of food while chewing and slurping is always horrible but when it's on the other end of the phone it amplifies it so much it's like they're spitting their slurry of semi-masticated gloop directly into your ear.

Last week on a train I saw someone a few seats away inflicting this on someone. Phone to his ear, with his free hand he spooned pasta salad from a tub, then some kind of creamy stodgy dessert before proceeding to crunch his way through an apple, all the while loudly yapping into his phone (and no doubt encrusting it with a spray of airborne food sludge).

Ffs some people shouldn't be allowed out in public until they learn how a civilised society functions. If I'd been on the other end of that call, after his first two spoonfuls of pasta I'd have told him to hang the fuck up, finish his food - ALL OF IT - then call back.

Abandon all reason