STEVE HACKETT - Dresden (14/3/22) gig report

• Official Post

Between the Genesis shows in Berlin and Cologne, I attended Steve Hackett's show in my hometown Dresden.

Read my gig review here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…live-gig-review-s838.html

• thx

saw the show in Frankfurt but this time it didn't really touch me. It was good, but not emotional. Perhaps a side effect of the Genesis farewell emotions?

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

Ok.

But the Surprise effect is missing or change the way you play them. :/

changes were a jazzy intersection in IKWL (didn't really work) and Aisle Of Plenty (nice one!) plus a little break between The Lamb and TMB (why?)

I agree that Seconds Out in that running order wasn't a good idea to play live that way.

• Unfortunately not everyone accepts variations in Genesis music. :/

Which is a shame, because Steve's Genesis Revisited, the 1996 single album (and the Japanese copy, which I also have) is not only vastly superior to the "way-too-safe" GR2, but also improves on the originals in 2 or 3 cases.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• ...Steve's Genesis Revisited, the 1996 single album... is not only vastly superior to the "way-too-safe" GR2, but also improves on the originals in 2 or 3 cases.

I'm with you as far as GR2 not being that good, as it's the only Hackett studio album I don't have; I listened to it once and never wanted to hear any of it again. But in which cases would you say the versions on GR improve on the originals? I never thought that any of them improved on the originals, and that only a couple of them (FAF, YOSW) were even worthwhile alternate versions.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I'm with you as far as GR2 not being that good, as it's the only Hackett studio album I don't have; I listened to it once and never wanted to hear any of it again. But in which cases would you say the versions on GR improve on the originals? I never thought that any of them improved on the originals, and that only a couple of them (FAF, YOSW) were even worthwhile alternate versions.

Well, aside from YOSW, which Hackett reinvents so much it's on a different planet (Earth!) (and which I can't help thinking that using Paul Carrack as vocalist on is very much "making a point" given Carrack's membership of another band at the time), Watcher and FoF are already both better, but including Bill Bruford on drums just takes it to another level. Not that Phil isn't great on the originals, but Bill has what it takes to re-arrange and not ruin them, which any other drummer couldn't have done. Fountain also is an improvement in places, EXCEPT for the vocals, which would have been better either not using the deep voice effect, or a different vocalist.

FAF: I can see some would think it better, but the simplicity of the original, and the fact that the observations of the song by 2 lads aged 20 about the elderly are just a triumph as they stand.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!