Red Blue and Green Boxes Who do we contact?.

• I think people who charge such high prices wouldn’t take reasonable offers, George Michael’s album Older on vinyl is getting re issued (limited on vinyl first time around and was going regularly for £1500). Folks even though they know it’s imminent are still asking £600 and £800 for their copies. I hope they fall flat on their faces for being greedy!.

• I have been offered four of these sets for £650 do people think that’s a good price for used items, I appreciate they are rare but if they are reissued again I may be left with egg on my face

• I have been offered four of these sets for £650 do people think that’s a good price for used items, I appreciate they are rare but if they are reissued again I may be left with egg on my face

From what I can tell I think £650.is a good price right now for 4 ( I assume it's the red green blue and live) . The best site to check record / CD values is discogs which has

loads of dealers and gives the actual prices they have sold for giving lowest highest and median prices. Of course values go up and down all the time. Just check the condition and

version Make sure it's the SACD.version if that's what you want and not.the U.S. CD version. I think there are 4 versions of each , UK and Europe , U.S, Japan and Europe. Other than the US being CD not sure what the differences are. If you wait for a re issue you may have to wait a year , years of forever !

https://www.discogs.com/release/2166785-Genesis-1983-1998

https://www.discogs.com/release/2166808-Genesis-1970-1975

https://www.discogs.com/release/948801-Genesis-1976-1982-

• I also wish they'd rerelease them, my copies have been away from me for years now and I'm nervous when I get around to having them in my possession again, I'll find discs missing or the boxes damaged. Kudos to Christian and his team.

I could weep. Its been years and the last time I was home to my parents house I had boxed up the most precious (I realize that sounds a big like smeegul) of my old collections; cd, DVD, vinyl and books. I intended to ship them to where I live. I didn't and my parents thought the boxes were in the way, so they turfed them out to the shed. The completely not-environmentally-controlled shed, cold and damp. The stuff is not totally destroyed but it has clearly absorbed some moisture and the packaging of everything has a distinctly doughy texture. Sigh. And fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

I think the Genesis boxes are the most valuable, I see the blue one cheapest for $490 now on discogs. But I had a bunch of other stuff, smashing pumpkins releases that have gotten very hard to obtain and consequently become quite valuable, a few 1st edition Stephen King books. I guess there's a lesson about minding things you really care about but I've too much a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach to appreciate it. Ah bolloxs anyway.

• I could weep. Its been years and the last time I was home to my parents house I had boxed up the most precious (I realize that sounds a big like smeegul) of my old collections; cd, DVD, vinyl and books. I intended to ship them to where I live. I didn't and my parents thought the boxes were in the way, so they turfed them out to the shed. The completely not-environmentally-controlled shed, cold and damp. The stuff is not totally destroyed but it has clearly absorbed some moisture and the packaging of everything has a distinctly doughy texture. Sigh. And fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

I think the Genesis boxes are the most valuable, I see the blue one cheapest for $490 now on discogs. But I had a bunch of other stuff, smashing pumpkins releases that have gotten very hard to obtain and consequently become quite valuable, a few 1st edition Stephen King books. I guess there's a lesson about minding things you really care about but I've too much a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach to appreciate it. Ah bolloxs anyway.

Sympathies. I can relate to that.

• I bought the green box set when they were issued, and it's sat on a shelf since then.
    Various things in life have got in the way of me actually opening it up and listening to anything from the set.
    Today I finally opened it up, and to my dismay I found that the CD of Foxtrot is missing from its case! The DVD audio is there, but no CD.

• Sounds like the notorious Red Blue Green Curse is still working its evil powers...

(I've not actually heard of such a curse, I just made that up)

I think it is real. Having actually found my copies in slightly-boggy-but-really-not-as-bad-as-I-feared condition, I now expect the ship carrying the boxes I have packed them in to sink like a stone half way across the Atlantic.

• We love true SACD, like you with have a compatible player, so we have enjoyed everyone of our multichannel SACD's. The War Of The Worlds (original album) is fantastic as a SACD, multichannel of course.

Can you still buy SACD players with multi channel output? Whenever I look at hi-fi websites they only seem to have a stereo output. My SACD player is at least 15 years old now so wont go on forever I guess. Although of course the Genesis boxsets were kind of future proof as you have the DVD surround mix.

• Can you still buy SACD players with multi channel output? Whenever I look at hi-fi websites they only seem to have a stereo output. My SACD player is at least 15 years old now so wont go on forever I guess. Although of course the Genesis boxsets were kind of future proof as you have the DVD surround mix.

I'd guess the multi-channel outputs will be optical or digital coaxial. What does your current one have? 5 phono leads? There

s a few here: CD Players at Crutchfield

FWIW, I still have my original CD player, a Philips CD104, which will be 38 years old this week. Had to do a couple of fixes on it over the years, but is still sings like a bird. Use the SACD player just for SACD's to save wear and tear, and a lesser player for ordinary CD's.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I'd guess the multi-channel outputs will be optical or digital coaxial. What does your current one have? 5 phono leads? There

s a few here: CD Players at Crutchfield

FWIW, I still have my original CD player, a Philips CD104, which will be 38 years old this week. Had to do a couple of fixes on it over the years, but is still sings like a bird. Use the SACD player just for SACD's to save wear and tear, and a lesser player for ordinary CD's.

Yes, it has 5 phono leads.

I do a similar thing. I only use the SACD player for that and have another player for CD/DVD. That player has an HDMI output. The receiver amplifier has both multi phono and HDMI inputs which of course you can no longer buy either! I thought that, maybe its just encoded in the optical or digital, but was never sure. Hopefully these will last 38 years.

I actually have a Quad stereo amplifier which was made in the 70's still going strong but I doubt that the other stuff (Denon) uses the same quality components.

• Yes, it has 5 phono leads.

I do a similar thing. I only use the SACD player for that and have another player for CD/DVD. That player has an HDMI output. The receiver amplifier has both multi phono and HDMI inputs which of course you can no longer buy either! I thought that, maybe its just encoded in the optical or digital, but was never sure. Hopefully these will last 38 years.

I actually have a Quad stereo amplifier which was made in the 70's still going strong but I doubt that the other stuff (Denon) uses the same quality components.

Eh? What do you mean? You think you can no longer buy HDMI connectors? They are industry standard!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Eh? What do you mean? You think you can no longer buy HDMI connectors? They are industry standard!

Sorry no, I meant you cant buy a receiver with both HDMI and 5 phono inputs. There was a period when they had both but now only HDMI or other digital input. So I have the SACD player going into the phono input and another CD/DVD player into the HDMI input.

• I'm sure Concord will already be planning to bring out new editions of the back catalogue... so whilst not the boxes of old, hopefully new improved versions with ever expanded extras.

Maybe starting with the 50th Anniversary Edition of The Lamb next year.

• I'm sure Concord will already be planning to bring out new editions of the back catalogue... so whilst not the boxes of old, hopefully new improved versions with ever expanded extras.

I don't 100% understand the details of the Concord deal, but I don't think they purchased the Gabriel/Hackett era stuff.

This has strikingly not been the case with Genesis over the years.

• I don't 100% understand the details of the Concord deal, but I don't think they purchased the Gabriel/Hackett era stuff.

If you look at the BBC Broadcasts credits (and I know we need to be wary of credits on official releases) songs like In The Cage, Carpet Crawlers, Dancing Out With the Moonlit Knight, I Know What I Like etc have the following publishing credits:

Concord Music Publishing Ltd

EMI Music Publishing Ltd

From this it's reasonably safe to conclude Concord publishes the Banks/Collins/Rutherford side. EMI publishes Gabriel/Hackett.

(Further info on Gabriel/EMI here: https://archive.completemusicu…-deal-with-peter-gabriel/ Which i believe says Gabriel still owns the publishing but it is managed by EMI rather than the situation with Concord where they actually own Banks/Collins/Rutherford publishing.)

However, it doesn't seem to include the pre-Selling England material (that was released at the time). Songs like The Knife / Twilight Alehouse / Watcher of the Skies are all published by Stratsong Ltd. Nursery Cryme has conflicting information where The Musical Box and Harlequin are Stratsong but Harold the Barrel is listed as Carlin Music Group for some reason... the plot thickens!!

• This has strikingly not been the case with Genesis over the years.

It's true Genesis themselves have had a lack of motivation to release things... it's not like they need the money, and they could never be accused of pandering to the fanbase (well aside from teasing things that never come out which Tony is famous for). A publishing company however exists to make money from the songs they own. A lot of people hate the Tony Cousins mastering on the stereo mixes which I believe are now the only available versions at retail.

Low hanging fruit for the publishing company to reissue the back catalogue preferably in a way to entice as much of the fanbase to re-purchase. This seem like an obvious opportunity. Rumour of a special edition of The Lamb has been around for years... 50th anniversary could fingers crossed see it finally come out.

It wouldn't make any sense for Concord to pay all that money and then just sit on the back catalogue and not do anything with it?