Will we ever hear / see Phil solo again?

• Though recently, critics seem to be much more pro-Collins than in the past... presumably a lot of those all old critics with axes to grind have retried or died, and subsequent generations are less about hating for the sake of it, and more willing to engage.

A new dark, atmospheric, brooding Phil Collins solo album full of minor keys with a few thoughtful ballads could be just what the world needs. I know I do. ;)

Two interesting points. Someone recently said something about younger generations of listeners now appearing who didn't live through the 'Collins Is The Music Antichrist' period we experienced, so are without that mindset, having not been there to absorb it. In a similar way there's something in your notion that the frontline of critics of who'd regularly deride him have moved on.

Re your hypothetical PC album, while it won't happen I agree it's a nice thought. Sometimes a fragile voice can be very affecting in the studio, given the right material/production etc and create a nice mood and atmosphere. I really like this non-existent, notional Phil Collins album that will never exist. It might be my favourite one of his!

EDIT - I see we've already touched on this.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I guess that's s a question of perspective and in some school of thought it's 'new' until it is heard... like that classic if cliched quote about having your whole life to write to your first album/book/movie, but 18 months to write your second. When in truth many writers go back to old notebooks and ideas from years ago.

Phil has plenty of new (unheard by the public) stuff written, some of it up there with what he consider his best material. I'm not sure if he'll develop an appetite to release any of it whilst still alive and potentially endure yet another critical kicking which invariably gets him down. It's not like he needs the money. If he does release it'll be because he wants to (or Tony Smith or his family persuade him). Though recently, critics seem to be much more pro-Collins than in the past... presumably a lot of those all old critics with axes to grind have retried or died, and subsequent generations are less about hating for the sake of it, and more willing to engage.

A new dark, atmospheric, brooding Phil Collins solo album full of minor keys with a few thoughtful ballads could be just what the world needs. I know I do. ;)

If Phil could do an album like Johnny Cash's last few efforts, or Neil Diamond's albums with RIck Rubin, I would eat it up, not to mention that songs like that would take us back to his peak, i.e. the first two solo albums.

• If Phil could do an album like Johnny Cash's last few efforts, or Neil Diamond's albums with RIck Rubin, I would eat it up, not to mention that songs like that would take us back to his peak, i.e. the first two solo albums.

Warren Zevon's last effort comes to mind as another good comparator, if this hypothetical Phil album were to emerge.

• Right now, even if Phil released anything and went on tour, he would definitely gain a lot of young fans. At a concert in Warsaw 3 years ago, I saw a lot of young people - about 30 years old, just like me. Of course, the fact that Phil would first take some rest and find a balance in his private life, but it would be great if in a few years he would release something new - or a few bootlegs from rehearsals - or a full video or from 1982, 1985 or 1997. :) sure the fans would go crazy about it. :)))))))))) I can wait for it for years. He deserved a rest at the moment. :)