GENESIS - Anatomy of the Last Domino - setlist analysis

• Official Post

by Jan Hecker-Stampehl - enjoy (and feedback welcome)

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…etlist-analysis-s840.html

• We certainly could have done without No Son Of Mine...

7 Shows and a hope that they would play something else!

TGA

I thought No Son of Mine sounded great at the show I attended in Washington, DC. Now if you want to talk about dropping I Can't Dance or Throwing It All Away I'm on board.

• We certainly could have done without No Son Of Mine...

7 Shows and a hope that they would play something else!

TGA

Don't agree to that - same with TIAA. I was a bit tired of both songs but enjoyed them both during the shows I saw. Especially NSOM was powerful.

Nice article by the way. Especially the "Duchess" moment was something I experienced in the same way.

:)

• Don't agree to that - same with TIAA. I was a bit tired of both songs but enjoyed them both during the shows I saw. Especially NSOM was powerful.

Nice article by the way. Especially the "Duchess" moment was something I experienced in the same way.

:)

Largely agree - I hadn't tired of any songs in particular and in my last few Genesis gigs ever I had no inclination to nitpick. I think I've mentioned a couple of minor gripes in other threads but ultimately I don't really care. I understand all the "I could've done without this, why didn't they play that, surely they should've blah blah blah etc etc" - which will probably continue for the rest of eternity - but I'm just glad I got to see them and I enjoyed the three shows I attended.

I found the review quite an interesting read. They're very open and accepting of everything and enjoying all the set selections until the vitriol thrown at ICD. This always mildly surprises and baffles me. I mean, it's not a favourite of mine, I don't mind it but this reviewer's evident hatred of it mirrors that of a number of forum members here. It seems disproportionate and I think they did worse songs but that's me, each to their own etc.

Abandon all reason

• I thought No Son of Mine sounded great at the show I attended in Washington, DC. Now if you want to talk about dropping I Can't Dance or Throwing It All Away I'm on board.

I'd drop all 3. Never liked them, still don't.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Nice article and I loved the I Can't Dance commentary! ;):D:D:D

A band that could call on some absolute epic pieces for an encore deployed one which could have been written by a toddler on a Fisher Price toy keyboard. Still, they feel that their tongue in cheek take on the blues and early 90s culture said something, and many of the nightly audiences liked it too.

If there's one thing we can all appreciate Genesis for it's the variety in their material, and it's inevitable that that something somewhere in their back catalogue will put everyone's teeth on edge. Fortunately they avoided Calling All Stations, as just about anything on that one would cause me to grind my teeth to powder.

Absolutely yes to Duchess.

if only it was possible to devote a couple of shows to the fans of the pre-pop era. The adjusted set to accommodate this material would have been incredible.

• *waits for the "they could have played Supper's Ready instead of X, Y and Z" person*

I’m proud to say I’m one such person, though to be specific I had previously suggested after the fact that Cinema Show be replaced by A in 9/8. For me the real “waiting for the person who will suggest” song is WhoDunnit. That stopped being clever about 45 suggestions ago.

• I’m proud to say I’m one such person, though to be specific I had previously suggested after the fact that Cinema Show be replaced by A in 9/8. For me the real “waiting for the person who will suggest” song is WhoDunnit. That stopped being clever about 45 suggestions ago.

Yup. They completely should of got Peter, Ant and Ray on stage for that one. "Was it you?" "Or was it me?!" "Or was it X? Or.....*ominous silence* ... Z???"

• Yup. They completely should of got Peter, Ant and Ray on stage for that one. "Was it you?" "Or was it me?!" "Or was it X? Or.....*ominous silence* ... Z???"

:D

they never were such a band. Would have been something, no question!

About the article: I agree to most of the author's comments. But I must say I can't stand "Domino" any more. Not sure why ...

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• :D

they never were such a band. Would have been something, no question!

About the article: I agree to most of the author's comments. But I must say I can't stand "Domino" any more. Not sure why ...

I'm lukewarm on Domino. Musically it suffered from the godawful mid-80s electric drums and some of the lyrics seem a bit forced to me (e.g. "sheets of double-glazing," "nylon sheets and blankets')--as if Tony is almost trying too hard to write something non-commercial for the album. Honestly I could have done without it on the most recent tour, especially if they would have performed instead something appealing that hadn't been played live for a while ("Abacab"?).

• Official Post

I'm lukewarm on Domino. Musically it suffered from the godawful mid-80s electric drums and some of the lyrics seem a bit forced to me (e.g. "sheets of double-glazing," "nylon sheets and blankets')--as if Tony is almost trying too hard to write something non-commercial for the album. Honestly I could have done without it on the most recent tour, especially if they would have performed instead something appealing that hadn't been played live for a while ("Abacab"?).

... that or a complete version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight - but I assume the second part is beyond Phil's ability these days.

• as if Tony is almost trying too hard to write something non-commercial for the album

I reckon that kind of lyric just came to him without the sort of intent you suggest. None of them were consistently good lyricists. Awkward as they are I'd still rather have the double-glazing and nylon sheets than mice, combusting ropes and sand-horses.

I'm not much of a one for the "if only they'd..." stuff about the tour, it was what it was, but I understand the urge to indulge in that and I would just say that as per 07 I did think it was a pity that Abacab was omitted (meaning the whole album, such a pivotal moment, being unrepresented but the title track would've been the logical pick).

Abandon all reason

it was a pity that Abacab was omitted

It's weird, because originally I wasn't too keen on this song, but as time went by, it started to grow on me, to the point where I also felt not playing it was a missed opportunity. Just after Duke's End, instead of TIOA, it could have worked.

• I love Mad Man Moon, but as always it’s a matter of personal taste. It could be that Tony was running on fumes in terms of his lyrical creativity by the IT album. The lyrics on Domino may indeed have come naturally, but still sounded awkward and stilted to me. in fact, going further back TB has admitted that he feels he dropped the lyrical ball on All in a Mouse’s Night, and is embarrassed by his lyrics on The Day the Lights Went Out. He also has said that the lyrics to Scenes from a Night’s Dream were so bad that he handed them over to Phil to salvage. You can then jump forward to Silver Rainbow, with the silly line about a bear coming in the room. The only thing worse would have been if they had kept the line “Rabbits live in trees” in the intro to Silver Rainbow. I guess the lesson I take from all of this is that TB’s lyrics were a mixed bag of success and failure after the ATOTT album.

• ... that or a complete version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight - but I assume the second part is beyond Phil's ability these days.

That would have been excellent. Unfortunately as you say Phil’s voice probably couldn’t handle it these days, which is a shame given the strength of the instrument section and closing section on TTT.

• It's weird, because originally I wasn't too keen on this song, but as time went by, it started to grow on me, to the point where I also felt not playing it was a missed opportunity. Just after Duke's End, instead of TIOA, it could have worked.

It's my waiting for the train song .... the instrumental gets my feet pumping everytime