GENESIS - Anatomy of the Last Domino - setlist analysis

• Nice article, Christian!

I've always been pretty vocal about my disappointment in the setlist, although I still adored the show and so glad I went. No complaints here.

Regarding Domino, I've always enjoyed the song and the heavier vibe a live setting brings to it. Not everyone's cup of tea, which is fine. If I were to replace something, I'd take out Home by the Sea.

It's been done on every tour since its release, and for the final tour, it would have been nice to have those 10+ minutes devoted to something that hasn't been performed in decades, such as Abacab, One for the Vine, Squonk, White Mountain, or Burning Rope.

Those aren't all 10+ minutes obviously, but they're 'long' songs. And for the record, I like Home by the Sea, but think it was time for something else to take its place.

• Re Domino, I actually thought it had the flattest start to any of the songs on this tour.

Maybe it was key changes, it just didn't Pop enough in felt at the start.

I had the same reaction. To me the first part was significantly lacking this tour. In my mind for whatever reason I’ve always compared Domino and HBTS/SHBTS, and have always strongly preferred the latter, both studio and live.

• It's been done on every tour since its release, and for the final tour, it would have been nice to have those 10+ minutes devoted to something that hasn't been performed in decades, such as Abacab, One for the Vine, Squonk, White Mountain, or Burning Rope.

If we're doing this 'they could have played one of these songs instead of that song' thing, I'll repeat my own tired old argument that they could have played them all by mixing it up from night to night. Yes they were never that band, it's their decision etc. I was stunned by the show I saw even though there were no setlist changes. But. But but but... It would have been nice to indulge the depth and breadth of their catalogue by swapping out like for like songs here and there.

• i wasn't sure which was the most suitable thread to post this thought...

i do like domino (the song), but for some reason i can't regard it as a genesis classic. no matter how many times they have played it live, it's not a track that i would include in a genesis compilation that i would do for myself or for some friend whom i would like to introduce to genesis music.

i think they stubbornly played it in every show since 1986 because it works well live and tony loves it, but i'm not sure if it's really a fan favourite.

• Official Post

i wasn't sure which was the most suitable thread to post this thought...

i do like domino (the song), but for some reason i can't regard it as a genesis classic. no matter how many times they have played it live, it's not a track that i would include in a genesis compilation that i would do for myself or for some friend whom i would like to introduce to genesis music.

i think they stubbornly played it in every show since 1986 because it works well live and tony loves it, but i'm not sure if it's really a fan favourite.

I also got a bit tired of it, although the light / screen shot was magnificent, especially on the last tour.

• i wasn't sure which was the most suitable thread to post this thought...

I agree. I feel the same. That being said, I must add that the really strong and low bass during In The Glow Of The Night is something I have never experienced anywhere else: I tried many home-cinema-subwoofers but none was able to replicate this feeling. The last show I saw in 2007 was in Rome and I remember telling to myself that it was the last time I would experience this sound resouding inside my body. So that was one of the main, if not the main thing I was waiting for in 2022... And it was still here :)