Your last gig.

• U2 at The Sphere. Las Vegas 9/30.

I can only imagine what Genesis could’ve done in this building. The sound and screens lived up to the hype.

I’ll be going myself later this month (the 25th)! I’m glad that the audio and video are as great as advertised! 😎 I also agree that Genesis of multiple eras could have done a lot with a venue like this.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• From what I've seen of it on audience videos it looks astonishing. I won't be making my way from the Scottish Highlands to Vegas but wish I was. I love Achtung and the idea of a show built around it is very enticing - I mean, I went to two Zoo TV shows which of course were built around AB but obviously this is very different.

Sad that Mullen isn't playing but he's clearly taken a pragmatic decision to withdraw for now and focus on his health. He said that seeing PC on the Last Domino tour, and feeling sad seeing him no longer able to drum, brought it home to him that he needed to seriously look after himself. Hopefully we'll see him back with them in the future.

To those going, I full-on unashamedly envy you. Have a great time.

Abandon all reason

• U2 at the Sphere looks amazing

Almost full show

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Protomartyr in the Roisin Dubh in Galway.

Phenomenal. A really great rock band playing a small venue, I was six feet away from the front man and it wasn't even crowded. Brilliant energy, so different from a big spectacle. Both have their place but I haven't experienced this type of close up old school rock gig in a while and it was something special.

• Last night; Glenn Hughes at KK's Steel Mill , Wolverhampton, his home city. He played music from the Deep Purple marks 3 and 4 era ( with Highway Star thrown in as bffpart of the encore) celebrating the 50 year anniversary since mark 3 was formed and he was clearly quite emotional , coming home to do it. Apart from Burn, Stormbringer and Mistreated it's not stuff regularly heard. Absolutely brilliant. A great performer smiled throughout , (showing off his pearly white teeth) and telling us stories from over the years. He's 71 and his voice is as good ever it was. It's staggering how he still hits those high notes perfectly and effortlessly.

• Last week I went for a first (and possibly only) visit to the Anvil in Basingstoke where I saw Toyah Wilcox and Robert Fripp's Sunday Lunch Rock Party.

Some here will be aware of the eccentric Sunday Lunch videos the pair have released on youtube, starting during lockdown. As well as some clowning around they usually include cover versions. It's the latter that form the basis of this tour they're doing. I wasn't sure what to expect and avoided all reviews etc as far as possible. What I got was one of the most enjoyable shows I've seen.

They have a decent band with them and cover a good range of classic songs. Here's the setlist I saw, which seems fairly standard for the tour. They were all performed really well. The only slight down points for me were the ZZ Top and Billy Idol ones but that's mainly because of the songs themselves. The high points were seeing Fripp playing Fashion and Heroes, two iconic guitar parts embedded in my cultural life, and here was the guy who actually played them, playing them. Heroes was actually quite emotional.

Toyah is a brilliant performer, a stage natural full of energy and warmth and terrific with the audience. The show plays a lot on the contrast between her lively persona and her husband who largely maintains his impassive seated persona, but unlike in 50+ years of King Crimson shows he actually speaks during this show, usually to impatiently correct something she's just said or express comedic weariness at her playful ribbing of him. They've been married for nearly 40 years and the strength of that seemingly unlikely union comes across clearly with obvious affection.

A nice touch is that some of the merchandise, including all the tour brochures, is signed by them both. Meaning that 43 years after the 14yo me approached him before a PG gig at Hammersmith Odeon and was refused an autograph, I finally have it.

This show joins 10cc and Maggie Rogers as being one of three truly joyous gigs I've seen in the last year. And all about as different from each other as can be.

Abandon all reason

• Sounds great. I saw some of the Sunday lunch stuff and it was great. Didn't even know they were touring it.

• You sold it!

Tickets for Sunday in Birmingham bought. We have nothing better to do.

• Well done, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Yes all good fun! Toyah is an excellent performer. I was also taken with the ease that Robert Fripp plays. He just sit there a rips out these guitar riffs with out seemingly ever making an effort. We were smiling throughout. I had to laugh at the how the band were dressed; bow ties and glitter. They looked like they should've been in an old holiday camp starlight room!

• Graham Nash at the Opera House on Tuesday night. He looks incredible for his age, only a very small band with him playing guitar, keyboads & harmonica. He did only one Hollies song, which was Bus Stop, but a stack of others from througout his career - opening with Wasted On The Way, then Military Madness. Two songs in particular stood out, I Used To Be A King & Cathedral. Of the CSNY songs, we were treated to a beautiful verson of 4+20 (and he also did Love The One You're With) and all my hopes were fulfilled with a storming version of Ohio (tin soldier's and Putin's coming) to close.

• Justin Hayward, Venue Cymru (Wales in Welsh!) Llandudno, a town I know well, esp. as I was involved in the installation of the first 17 CCTV street cameras back in 1997. Anyway, great gig, with Mike Dawes as support act and in Justin's band on guitar, plus Julie Ragins on keyboards and vocals, and Karmen Gould on flutes, harmonica and percussion. Preceded by a great meal at "The Lilly", on the West Shore! Almost all songs were Moody Blues tracks, bar Blue Guitar in the encore, where Jus got his Gibson 335 out, and One Lonely Room as part of a long, several song medley. Out & In, a Mike Pinder song, made an appearance as part of the medley too.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Alison Goldfrapp, Glasgow Barrowland. The focus was on her dancey electropop solo album Love Invention but with a good handful of Goldfrapp tunes with a slightly different spin. A very enjoyable upbeat gig as part of two days wandering that great city, with some excellent eating and cocktailing.

Abandon all reason

• Justin Hayward, Venue Cymru (Wales in Welsh!) Llandudno, a town I know well, esp. as I was involved in the installation of the first 17 CCTV street cameras back in 1997. Anyway, great gig, with Mike Dawes as support act and in Justin's band on guitar, plus Julie Ragins on keyboards and vocals, and Karmen Gould on flutes, harmonica and percussion. Preceded by a great meal at "The Lilly", on the West Shore! Almost all songs were Moody Blues tracks, bar Blue Guitar in the encore, where Jus got his Gibson 335 out, and One Lonely Room as part of a long, several song medley. Out & In, a Mike Pinder song, made an appearance as part of the medley too.

Seems I got lucky the other night, I'd also looked into the New Brighton gig the following night, but decided on Llandudno as the seats were better, and we know better eating places there. New Brighton gig was cancelled after Monday afternoon soundcheck, as, to quote Justin:

"I’m so sorry, but for the first time ever (for me personally) I could not do the gig.

"I opened my mouth to sing at sound check and the voice just didn’t come out. Very strange, and disturbing.

"I’m told it is inflammation on the vocal chords. I apologise sincerely to everyone that has bought tickets to be here - me without my voice doesn’t add up to much. All things must pass I’ll be back of course."

Tuesdays Darlington gig was also cancelled, maybe he was still affected, but I guess he also wants to recover fully before April 5th, when the "On the Blue" cruise he hosts is due to sail from Miami. Imagine the problems cancelling a cruise!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!