Your last gig.

• Seasick Steve two nights ago in Coventry. Always quite liked him and went because he was in my home town. He was absolutely brilliant. Full of humour. His band consisted of a drummer! Changed guitar every other song or so . First song was played on a guitar made from Morris minor hubcaps and a broom stick. He made an unbelievably loud noise form it.

• Just saw The Who in Toronto with a symphony orchestra backing them. The orchestra provided lots of interesting depth and texture to some of the grander songs, but some spontaneity and fire was lost in the process. Roger is still in incredibly fine voice for 78, nailing lots of high notes with passion and authority. Pete did catch fire at one point, jamming in the middle of 5:15. He also gave another great performance of Eminence Front. The treat of the night was a version of Behind Blue Eyes with violin, cello, and double bass providing sensitive accompaniment.

• Two last week, both brilliant in their own distinctive ways - 10cc (Perth Concert Hall) and Public Service Broadcasting (Inverness Ironworks).

But the PSB one was tinged with sadness. It's likely the last gig I'll see at our lovely little local music venue, Ironworks. There's been a plan for some time that it'll be demolished to make way for a hotel. The plan was finally approved by the Highland Council recently. They were evenly split, and the plan to proceed was carried by the Chair's casting vote. In effect that person has enabled the removal of the only music venue of its kind in this region. It's a thriving, lively venue with a mixed programme of music and comedy, including many high-profile names in both genres as well as local acts too.

Public Service Broadcasting voiced great sadness as they said they always enjoyed playing here but this was likely the last time they'd be able to play in the Highlands as there are no other such venues. It's so infuriating, especially as there are already hotels all over Inverness and worse, the person who owns the company that applied to demolish the venue is a local.

So the thread title is apt - in terms of seeing such gigs locally, this was indeed my Last Gig. I'm saddened and very angry.

Abandon all reason

• Yes..2 small venues down my way in Kent already closed this year , which is sad to see

How were PSB?..good live, as usual i hope as due to see them again at the weekend

• Yes..2 small venues down my way in Kent already closed this year , which is sad to see

How were PSB?..good live, as usual i hope as due to see them again at the weekend

I enjoyed PSB very much. Yes they put on a hell of a show. Obviously a big chunk of the latest album, but also a good dose of Valley and Space.

Sorry to hear about your local venues. I'm so angry about Ironworks. I feel I want to track down that Council chair whose casting vote condemned the venue, and throttle them. Or at least insult them to their face in a way that deeply upsets and offends them. Whoever that person is, I detest them. I really hope they walk under a tree just as an incontinent gull empties its bowels all over them.

Abandon all reason

• That's very unfortunate. In a time where we desperately need to move to more mixed use spaces and keeping local communities alive and vibrant, to replace such a venue where there is nothing like it close by, with another bloody hotel when there are already lots is very disappointing indeed.

As for my last gig... Either Genesis in Boston or the Zombies in Beverly, I can't remember which was when. That will change, as a week from today I'm going to the mighty Pumpkins😃

• I was hoping to see Solstice at the Robin 2 in Wolverhampton a venue we go to 2 or 3 times a year , but sadly the gig as cancelled due to lack of pre sold tickets.. we usually buy at the door as do most that go there so a bit strange. Looking at the Solstice FB group it seems like the Robin cancelled . Apparently there is newish management there and there is a lot of talk about the place going under if they carry on like they are. It would be a terrible shame if the place goes as it's such major venue for the small to medium gig.

• So, I went to see Roxy Music last week in Manchester. It was the first time I'd ever seen them so it was very different to seeing Genesis last year. Spoilers ahead.

I didn't really know what to expect and I had avoided setlists as I had done with Genesis. Again, with Bryan Ferry you have a vocalist in his 70s, who hasn't quite got the voice he used to have, like someone else we know. I think BF's voice has stood up better, but they did have 3 backing vocalists to help him out.

I have loved Genesis with a passion for over 40 years, but with one thing and another, I enjoyed the Roxy gig a lot more. This is definitely partly due to the difference in choice with regard to the setlists. But also because I've seen Genesis many times and so last year's show was set in the context of that. While with Roxy I had nothing to compare it to.

I can go on if anyone is interested. But I left on a high. What a great night.

Edited once, last by Mozo ().

• ps For guitar nerds, Phil Manzanera did play his red Firebird, which I am beginning to think is the coolest looking guitar ever made. Even cooler than my Fireglo Rickenbacker :)

• Sounds great. Never seen them and would have loved to to have seen them, am sure I'm would've gone of they had done a more extensive tour.

• ps For guitar nerds, Phil Manzanera did play his red Firebird, which I am beginning to think is the coolest looking guitar ever made. Even cooler than my Fireglo Rickenbacker :)

Cooler than this?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I went to Smashing Pumpkins on Sunday night. They were supported by Jane's Addiction, who I knew of but did not know at all. They were very good - the frontman Perry Farrell is very charismatic and funny. It's very 90s sounding psychedelic alt-rock (although my understanding is they were the tip of the spear in many ways and their earliest releases were in the 80s. Also interesting backstory in that there was a real 'Jane' who was addicted to heroin, and about whom their biggest hit 'Jane Says' was written). Edit: JA were joined by Daniel Ash from Bauhaus and they played Slice of Life.

Anyway... I had great seats. Center stage about 11 rows back. There was a big screen behind the band and a large star above it angled forward that could light up. It was a big, impressive set up. They came out and launched into a new song I didn't recognize (I had avoided the setlist). They then played for just shy of 2 hours and actually included *all* of their hits , Tonight Tonight, Disarm, Today, Zero, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Ava Adore, 1979 etc. 3 of the last 5 songs though, including the last song, were brand new and apart from one that's been released, totally unheard (to me at least).

They were very, very, very loud. I have legit tinnitus since. They were technically incredible, a very tight group that plays with animal ferocity. Billy was clearly having fun and repeatedly expressed appreciation for the crowd. The light show was phenomenal, though not as good as Genesis (it was weird having seen them at the same venue). I thought it was very ballsy opening and closing with totally new songs. I could have done with one or two less hits myself, but being blind to the setlist and not having seen them since 2008 I didn't mind really. They also played a few deeper cuts.

There was a very interesting discussion on Reddit I found, with a couple of fans moaning about 'static setlists' and playing the hits. It was *exactly* the same as discussions we've had over the past few years.

Overall, so so happy I went to the show. Even though my ears are still ringing and there's a chance I'll never know silence again 😬. It's a very fun night out.

• I was at the same Manchester Roxy Music gig as Mozo. I also agree with his comments, they were brilliant! I saw them back in 2001 but enjoyed this gig more, possibly because they might never play together again, I don't know. Bryan's voice wasn't quite there for the later hits 'more than this', 'jealous guy', 'dance away', 'avalon' 'oh yeah' but I thought he was fabulous on the earlier stuff particularly 'if there is something' which was a stand out for me. Plus it was the original band, just missing Eno. The stage show, lights and video effects were excellent also.

I'm just going to add 'Oh Yeah!' is one of my all time favourite tunes, the fade out at the end...the bass and sax, gets me every time!

• Great Pics

• I was at the same Manchester Roxy Music gig as Mozo. I also agree with his comments, they were brilliant! I saw them back in 2001 but enjoyed this gig more, possibly because they might never play together again, I don't know. Bryan's voice wasn't quite there for the later hits 'more than this', 'jealous guy', 'dance away', 'avalon' 'oh yeah' but I thought he was fabulous on the earlier stuff particularly 'if there is something' which was a stand out for me. Plus it was the original band, just missing Eno. The stage show, lights and video effects were excellent also.

I'm just going to add 'Oh Yeah!' is one of my all time favourite tunes, the fade out at the end...the bass and sax, gets me every time!

It was great wasn't it? :)

Funny. Despite all their genuinely great songs, "Oh Yeah" is probably my favourite Roxy song. I can't even explain why. It's probably not a very "cool choice" ^^, but glad to see someone else loves it too.

• I was looking forward to see John Cale at Birmingham Town Hall tonight but just had notice that the concert has been cancelled - a victim of covid! Sitting here in Lincoln wondering whether to still get the coach and use our overnight room. Oh well!