9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

STEVE HACKETT - Shadow Of The Hierophant
    Year: 1975
    Album: Voyage Of The Acolyte
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Hackett, Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 11:43
    Musicians: Steve Hackett,
    Played Live: frequently, also recently in 2021, 2022

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Steve Hackett is generally regarded as the Genesis musician who has held the band's flag aloft the longest. This refers mainly to his further development of the prog rock of the early years. His debut album was an impressive record, often referred to as the best Genesis album Genesis never recorded. One of the longs, Shadow Of The Hierophant, is our track of the week.
    • Official Post

I don’t like the vocal part. The grand finale is outstanding and I enjoy this during every hackett show ….

• The best track on Steve's first album -- an otherwordly epic with a wonderfully intense ending section.

P.S.: Ever heard of people who can "read" vinyl records -- i.e., distinguish loud and quiet sections just by looking at light shining on the grooves? I used to do that in pre-CD days. Anyway, "Hierophant" may be the best track in history to practice that with, given the alternating loud and quiet sections in the first half and the slow crescendo at the end.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• P.S.: Ever heard of people who can "read" vinyl records -- i.e., distinguish loud and quiet sections just by looking at light shining on the grooves? I used to do that in pre-CD days.

I did this too! It fascinated me, the difference in how light reflected off tracks depending on their characteristics. I'd forgotten until seeing your post.

I distinctly remember the grooves of Later On, a droning trancey Fripp & Eno track on a 7" single b-side. There was a marked pattern throughout them, like chevrons.

Abandon all reason

• I distinctly remember the grooves of Later On, a droning trancey Fripp & Eno track on a 7" single b-side. There was a marked pattern throughout them, like chevrons.

Similarly, I used to see that tracks with heavy and persistent rhythms would show sort of a spiral pattern when the record was in motion -- sometimes moving toward the center and sometimes away from it, depending on the tempo. I mention this because, as I recall, the rhythms on the Hackett track "Just the Bones" (12" single only) managed to make spirals in both directions at the same time!

(OK, enough of being off the main topic...)

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• This is one off the tracks I immediately could connect to. I always wonder what Genesis would have done with that. Steve still plays this live, which I can understand. A wonderful number,

Instrumental section: 15

Vocal section: 13

so 14 :)

... any moment that we bring to life - ridiculous sublime