MIKE + THE MECHANICS - Refueled! Tour 2023

• Here is a new track in their setlist

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and a classic

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm sure Drennan is a nice guy and all.

But his guitar playing as well as the solo, on Jesus,

Is terrible.

Even ghost got closer to what should be played.

• Don't forget it's recorded with a mobile phone. Everything sounds a bit muffled here. Tim got a lot of criticism on his singing, based on that video. But those who were there claimed they sounded great.

For the solo part, I tend to favor his "more relaxed" approach he has compared to Daryl (and I like Daryl too - but the same goes with Firth of Fifth back in 1998, also because of the improvisation that was different every night).

I've read on Facebook that Anto apparently played a bit of Firth of Fifth (possibly during the Word of Mouth extended ending at the end of the concert). Nice ! I would like to see that.

• I'm sure Drennan is a nice guy and all.

But his guitar playing as well as the solo, on Jesus,

Is terrible.

Even ghost got closer to what should be played.

Ghost are a metal band, that's a very different style.

Don't forget it's recorded with a mobile phone. Everything sounds a bit muffled here. Tim got a lot of criticism on his singing, based on that video. But those who were there claimed they sounded great.

For the solo part, I tend to favor his "more relaxed" approach he has compared to Daryl (and I like Daryl too - but the same goes with Firth of Fifth back in 1998, also because of the improvisation that was different every night).

I've read on Facebook that Anto apparently played a bit of Firth of Fifth (possibly during the Word of Mouth extended ending at the end of the concert). Nice ! I would like to see that.

Of course you are right but still it looks to me like they simply made the wrong decisions (choosing Jesus...) and also, Mike is not really playing well. Keep in mind he played really well during the Last Domino Tour!

... make tomorrow today!

• Ghost are a metal band, that's a very different style.

Of course you are right but still it looks to me like they simply made the wrong decisions (choosing Jesus...) and also, Mike is not really playing well. Keep in mind he played really well during the Last Domino Tour!

Mike played better - guitar - on the Last Domino Tour but on bass - and on Jesus - he played very well IMO!

• Mike played better - guitar - on the Last Domino Tour but on bass - and on Jesus - he played very well IMO!

Yes I agree, Mike was in good shape during the Genesis tour.

About Jesus: Was more thinking about Tim. I don't think this track is a good one for him.

... make tomorrow today!

• First chance I've had to post. Saw them in Sheffield Thursday night i thought they were superb. Tim Howar who i had my doubts about before going won me over with his enthusiasm and energy which is important when performing to a crowd that me and my mate are 2 of the youngest in and just about to hit 40 ourselves.

Nic on drums really drives the show along brilliantly. Roachford has a superb voice and filling Paul Carrack's shoes is no easy task. It was nice to see Rutherford take a bow on his own at the end to a standing ovation.

A word about the Genesis covers. Yes i could of lived without I can't dance I thought they did Jesus well to be honest yes it missed Phil's personality but there's a reason Phil's made mega bucks from performing the blokes brilliant at it! Follow you follow me was really nice and Invisible touch was buried in a medley anyway.

Fantastic night out and middle of the road or not All i need is a miracle & word of mouth are fantastic live tracks.

• Don't forget it's recorded with a mobile phone. Everything sounds a bit muffled here. Tim got a lot of criticism on his singing, based on that video. But those who were there claimed they sounded great.

Not sure why audio should be a problem thesedays unless they are using a really bad mobile?

I shot a bit of Genesis Tour on my mobile and it sounds better than a lot of the YouTube postings from others.

If someone is singing bad, it will sound bad, so maybe he was having a bad day.

• Just saw the latest show at Eastbourne. I went in with lowish expectations but it was fantastic. The band were without exception superb and the desire to provide a great evening for everyone was clear. We even bumped into Nic (Collins) and Tim Hower on the walk to the Congress. They finished with some solos and Nic's one was quite astonishing. I would recommend them highly to anyone who has a chance to see them.

• Yes and strangely enough I'll be back there next week leading a walking tour of the city - there are indeed interesting places to see in Hull!

I love travelling the UK but have never been to Hull. Recommendations welcome. And that's not an invitation to choccy to recommend not going to Hull.

I've always been quite taken with the station being called Hull Paragon.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Agree that current Mechanics tour is the best I've seen them in ages. Nick brings a welcome energy and edge to the songs... Highly recommended.

What are the highlights in your opinion? What does work best, what songs are realling good, wich ones are not that good and do you have some examples how Nick changes the tracks and what he brings to it?

Can't see them this time :(

• Hard to answer that in detail. However, I will do my best! As a band they all seem to be very focused and energetic. There was a nice atmosphere on stage. The two singers dovetailed well. They take turns to be on lead and back up vocals. In terms of the songs it builds to a brilliant finale. Surprisingly for me from "I can't dance" onwards there was a great power that developed and continued through to the solo spots. Cuddly Toy was great too. Miracle and Over my shoulder were so well delivered. The energy of Nic was clear to see and he interacted so well especially with Tim. His solo was breathtaking. Through it all Mike was having fun and looked so relaxed. His solo was great and I think it was a Jimi Hendrix one although that was just based on what someone told me! The last Genesis shows were quite tough due to Phil's health issues and the lack of a strong Lead makes a show difficult. Seeing Tim reminded me of what Phil had been at his peak. When he sang "Jesus" his movement and vocal range were so evident. Sometimes at at the end of a show I just look around and you can see the audience had a great time. At Eastbourne the crowd was buzzing. I heard people saying that it was a fabulous show and I agreed with them.

• Hard to answer that in detail. However, I will do my best! As a band they all seem to be very focused and energetic. There was a nice atmosphere on stage. The two singers dovetailed well. They take turns to be on lead and back up vocals. In terms of the songs it builds to a brilliant finale. Surprisingly for me from "I can't ..

First, excuse me for deleting much of your text. Purely for reasons of space, I can assure you. For me, the difference between Collins and Howar is that the latter immediately shows his stage background. He comes across - to me, I emphasise - as the most shallow performer since... Oh, I don't know: Nad Sylvan. I have to shut him out from every show I see him. Now, Roachford, he similarly milks it. But in a less abrasive manner. And sings so much better.

• Sorry if my review implied that Tim Howar was anywhere close to Phil as a stage performer. I am Phil's number one fan and he had no equal in his prime. I would not disagree with your interpretation of Tim being a bit "shallow". My favourable comparison was in terms of his drive and energy. He ran around the stage and gave the concert some vitality. Sadly, due to Phil's health issues this was such a loss in the final Genesis shows and even in 2007 there was nothing like his personality and charisma which I had seen going back to 1977 when I first saw Genesis. He was the best front man I have ever seen by some margin. Sadly, at the final O2 shows what I saw was a shadow of that man. So apologies again.. I think I would agree with you 100% on Tim, Nad and I match your verdict that Roachford was the best of the 3!

• I was surprised By Tim Howar i thought his vocals stood up well live. I get the shallowness thing the big shiny smile and all is a bit grating. The problem is when singing Genesis songs especially a song like Jesus which has Phil's personality and charisma all over it especially in a live setting whoever performs it is going to come off second best. I'm just grateful we still get to hear these songs live same with the Hackett stuff and I'm no Nad Sylvan fan either but i do appreciate these guys being around especially as it allows Hackett & Rutherford to be on stage and certainly from what i saw of Mike on stage in Sheffield really enjoying himself. It was a great night out i thought.

• I thought the London RAH show was a fantastic and vibrant show - a joy in fact

Mike told us that "father of the drummer" PC was in the building ! How proud must he have been ?!

I spotted Tony Smith outside the venue before the show and had to thank him for pulling all of this together - seemed like a lovely chap

Thanks to Mike and all of his crew