Your latest music acquisition.

• What is your latest music purchase or gift? I know many now stream but a lot of you I believe, like me, still buy their music whether it's a download or in physical form. I don't stream very often and 99.9% of the music I listen to is on vinyl or CD ( or my I pod with downloaded CDs in car).

This is a thread that really should've been up before now as I don't intend to contribute much to it! I buy more albums than I have the time to listen to these days and have a stack of "yet to be played" stuff. So no more for me. I'm a sucker latest re mix editions in nice boxes , probably no better than the originals, but still it's nice to have new shiny copies, however they are too expensive. At a guess I think I have about 700 vinyl albums and 400 CDs (which I keep telling Mrs Farmer is just a modest collection)

and just really don't listen to them enough , so I have decided to listen more and buy less. No, - listen more and stop buying. Maybe just the new Porcupine Tree album then that's it.

• So anyway . Acquisitions this year.

Last week I bought the new 50th anniversary Ziggy Stardust to compliment my 49 year old copy and 30th anniversary CD.

For my birthday in April I had Toy by Bowie CD , Tipping Point -Tears For Fears , vinyl and The Whirlwind - Transatlantic, vinyl. None of which I've got round to playing! I was also given copies of 3 Beatles CD collections of outtakes and bits by a Beatles fanatic friend.

I bought a cheap Grace Under Pressure - Rush CD ( Not yet played and only bought for completion purposes. Just Power Windows now I'll never have) . I finally got round to buying the Yes Album on vinyl second hand. I bought all 4 Lifesigns albums on CD at their gig and 2 Hawklords albums on CD, R: evolution and Time at their gig. I bought Bad Company Live '79 on record store day . Orange vinyl . I don't like coloured vinyl but I had to buy it as it's the recording of tour the first ever gig I went to.

I bought Jethro Tull's ( or Ian Anderson's solo depending on your point of view) Zealot Gene on CD when it came out Very good. Also Thick As A Brick Steven Wilson Remaster CD. Prior to my Ziggy album a couple weeks ago I bought Eternal Idol - Black Sabbath special edition second hand CD , I didn't own any Tony Martin era Black Sabbath.

So that's it I think so far for this year , and the end of me getting anymore stuff. Maybe the very occasional new release and an odd present. But that's it!

• My wife and kids subscribe to streaming services and think it peculiar that I persist in buying CDs.

But when I listen to music I play albums from beginning to end, and I like browsing over my collection and having something catch my eye.

The last three CDs I bought were all by Procol Harum (Home, A Salty Dog, and the s/t debut).

I've had the Greatest Hits and Shine On Brightly for decades, and I guess I was content with that.

Then recently, I was thinking of a couple of songs on Home that I remembered really liking (my oldest brother had that album), so I ordered it and it arrived. I kept playing it over and over again, really enjoying it and thought, hey, let's not stop here, so I ordered the two earlier albums and have been settling in with those. There's another three from them I'm thinking I'll pick up at some point later.

• Yep, I buy CD's (not vinyl, don't see the point, it doesn't sound better, and it wears out) and don't stream. My daughter is 30, and the streaming generation, but even she admits it's ok until they remove stuff from the servers, then you're stuck. Plus she collects Kpop and they have really pushed the boundaries of getting collectors on board.

As for buying stuff I'll never get round to listening to, no, again, I don't see the point. I'm fussy, so only buy stuff I like, or expect to.

Procol Harum: actually like a lot of their stuff and am thinking of buying at least a best of, plus the same for Gordon Lightfoot, and Lenny Kravitz.

Latest Acquisition? Kartoon World, by the Korgis.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• What is your latest music purchase or gift? I know many now stream but a lot of you I believe, like me, still buy their music whether it's a download or in physical form. I don't stream very often and 99.9% of the music I listen to is on vinyl or CD ( or my I pod with downloaded CDs in car).

This is a thread that really should've been up before now as I don't intend to contribute much to it! I buy more albums than I have the time to listen to these days and have a stack of "yet to be played" stuff. So no more for me. I'm a sucker latest re mix editions in nice boxes , probably no better than the originals, but still it's nice to have new shiny copies, however they are too expensive. At a guess I think I have about 700 vinyl albums and 400 CDs (which I keep telling Mrs Farmer is just a modest collection)

and just really don't listen to them enough , so I have decided to listen more and buy less. No, - listen more and stop buying. Maybe just the new Porcupine Tree album then that's it.

If I was living in UK, would probably buy the CD.

However, living in Canada, most bands I like come from Europe or UK. Amazon charge a fortune plus shipping and can take a week or more. The same goes for UK and Europe, up to 3 weeks depending on customs.

Downloading music is fast and instant and to be honest putting your music onto a hard drive takes less space then a CD.

Bandcamp is probably the most cheapest of sites that most bands refer to for buying music. Averages prices range from $10.00 Canadian. So really not bad at all.

Postage is too expensive here and in most cases can cost more then the CD

It's not worth it.

Some bands will sometimes offer their CD booklet as well, so viewing the fine print on a computer is a lot easier to read. 😁

• Rammstein - Zeit

Also bought their two previous albums, Mutter & Untitled.

Prior to that Liam Gallagher's C"mon You Know & Harry's House by Harry Styles.

I will get the Porcupine Tree CD at some stage.

• Prince & The Revolution - Live At the Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY, March 30th, 1985.

I received the Deluxe boxset 2 days ago. 3 LPs, 2 CDs, 1 Blu-ray, a booklet and a poster, with a code to download the mp3 files to put them in your mobile phone.

Great stuff. Big sound, big venue, big haircuts, big suits.

• So today I got Lenny Kravitz Greatest hits, and Level 42, the Definitive Collection, both in local HMV.

Ian

• So today I got Lenny Kravitz Greatest hits, and Level 42, the Definitive Collection, both in local HMV.

Where I live in Ontario, all the HMV and music stores have closed down. The only place you can buy music, is from a chain of used music and DVD stores called The Beat Goes On.

• We've Been Going About This All Wrong by Sharon Van Etten on cd and damn fine it is.

This, but on vinyl. It is very, very good.

Also got a couple of signed archival Smashing Pumpkins releases, they are old gigs heretofore unreleased.

Next up I anticipate getting more of The Foals back catalogue, as I've been streaming them heavily. Very much the band of my current now. I got Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost on vinyl after streaming both volumes a thousand times, and only last week noticed the pitchfork review, which very pointedly drew comparisons with post-Gabriel Genesis (I wouldn't have myself, but they highlight the drummer as being very creative, and ever since I've read it I can hear that he must count Phil as an influence).

What I really need is time to listen to it all!! So much to watch, read and listen to.

• A few months ago I went on an eBay vinyl spree, snagging all four cover variations for Abacab, a copy of Duke, and Three Sides Live.

Most recent CD is the new box-set release of Elton John's "Madman Across the Water".

Just purchased Phil Keaggy's new "Hymnsongs 2" on download from Bandcamp.

• ...Next up I anticipate getting more of The Foals back catalogue, as I've been streaming them heavily. Very much the band of my current now. I got Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost on vinyl after streaming both volumes a thousand times, and only last week noticed the pitchfork review, which very pointedly drew comparisons with post-Gabriel Genesis (I wouldn't have myself, but they highlight the drummer as being very creative, and ever since I've read it I can hear that he must count Phil as an influence).

It's taking me a while to get into the new Foals. I do find them a bit hit-and-miss. I got into them via Total Life Forever. Working my way back, I've never got on with Antidotes. Really like the run of albums after TLL until ENSWBL 1 which I thought mediocre... But then really liked part 2.

For me it's the new Porcupine Tree all the way.

• It's taking me a while to get into the new Foals. I do find them a bit hit-and-miss. I got into them via Total Life Forever. Working my way back, I've never got on with Antidotes. Really like the run of albums after TLL until ENSWBL 1 which I thought mediocre... But then really liked part 2.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the new album, it's a bit one dimensional compared to their prior outings. I had a similar thing with the ENSWBL albums, and only listened to the second one for ages. When I went back to the first it was better than I remembered. I'm just getting into TLL and the two that followed. They're dense which makes getting into them all the more enjoyable. Really liking their stuff.

• As for buying stuff I'll never get round to listening to, no, again, I don't see the point. I'm fussy, so only buy stuff I like, or expect to.

Exactly. I do intend to listen to it all. But I struggle getting round it.. There comes a point when I have to tell myself to stop buying and listen more to the stuff I've got. Also I do admit I've bought stuff and put away with the intention of getting it out for the right time, and it's been forgotten! Still if people can collect stamps which make no noise at all no matter how much attention they are given ,then I guess I can collect records and CDs.

• Exactly. I do intend to listen to it all. But I struggle getting round it.. There comes a point when I have to tell myself to stop buying and listen more to the stuff I've got. Also I do admit I've bought stuff and put away with the intention of getting it out for the right time, and it's been forgotten! Still if people can collect stamps which make no noise at all no matter how much attention they are given ,then I guess I can collect records and CDs.

I find stamps make a small amount of noise if you burn them! ^^

Ian

• Prince & The Revolution - Live At the Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY, March 30th, 1985.

Now this is truly interesting. I have the original VHS. I had been a fan since 1999 and the Purple Rain tour was once of my first concerts (preceded only by Rush and Yes I think). I then bought the Purple Rain deluxe version to get CD versions of extra tracks like Erotic City, the full length Let's Go Crazy, Irresistible Bitch, etc., plus the concert on DVD. How much better is this DVD version?