Your latest music acquisition.

• Now this is truly interesting. I have the original VHS. I had been a fan since 1999 and the Purple Rain tour was once of my first concerts (preceded only by Rush and Yes I think). I then bought the Purple Rain deluxe version to get CD versions of extra tracks like Erotic City, the full length Let's Go Crazy, Irresistible Bitch, etc., plus the concert on DVD. How much better is this DVD version?

Much, much better than what existed before. They recently found the original audio multi-track tapes of the concert in the Vault. That's why they decided to release a new version of it.

The 2017 version was just a basic transfer from a VHS (or Laserdisc ?) to a DVD. So both the image and the sound had some limitations compared to what we should expect from a proper DVD, in fact the mix is the same as your original VHS (so, almost no low frequencies for example).

They first did a remaster of the audio in 2020, to stream the concert on Youtube to support research/hospital against the Covid pandemic. But the source was the stereo master tape. I guess it was only re-equalised and remastered, but it was already a vast improvement.

But this version is a proper remix (same as what Nick Davis did with the Genesis albums in 2007-2009), from the multi-track tapes. So they checked everything : relative volume for each instrument, EQ...

The overall sound is way better, more balanced, every detail is perceivable.

They improved the video too. It's not a proper "restoration", because there is no "real film", only a VHS source. They tried to improve the image with some algorithmic software (similar as what the Genesis Museum did with the Bataclan Concert). Honestly, it looks great. No perfect, but great.

Still, the most important thing is the sound, and they really did an amazing job.

You can watch some extracts on Youtube on the official Prince channel.

• Thanks for the info. I will investigate further.

• Having updated my turntable I’ve been buying some heavyweight vinyl to enjoy. I’m

not intending to replicate all my old vinyl but to build a small collection of my favourites. So far I’ve bought all Genesis albums including FGTR box set, all Beatles albums including Past Masters, the Moody Blues core 7, Miles Davies Kind of Blue and Karajan’s ‘63 Beethoven cycle. I’m now picking up occasional bits, Hackett’s recent issues, a bit of Yes, some McCartney etc. I like the sound of them and enjoy the old feeling of handling an album But I agree with others that the odd pop and crackle is frustrating (but worth it in the end)

• Having updated my turntable I’ve been buying some heavyweight vinyl to enjoy. I’m

not intending to replicate all my old vinyl but to build a small collection of my favourites. So far I’ve bought all Genesis albums including FGTR box set, all Beatles albums including Past Masters, the Moody Blues core 7, Miles Davies Kind of Blue and Karajan’s ‘63 Beethoven cycle. I’m now picking up occasional bits, Hackett’s recent issues, a bit of Yes, some McCartney etc. I like the sound of them and enjoy the old feeling of handling an album But I agree with others that the odd pop and crackle is frustrating (but worth it in the end)

I have the Direct Metal Master of the Moody Blues The Present, which I don't need as I have the original and remaster of it on CD. If you'd like it, it's yours, just have to arrange getting it to you. Don't suppose you are ever down Chester way?

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• That’s really generous and kind of you,

Thanks very much. I may well be in Chester sometime over the summer Foxfeeder, if so I’ll get in touch.

Thanks again

No problem. Always happy to help a Moodies fan!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

The odd pop and crackle have never bothered me. The only problem is when it's continual through a track , section or album . Enjoy your records

• Been getting into Brian Eno.

I recently purchased Another Green World.

Liked it right off the bat. Really been enjoying it and that spurred me to want to get more of his stuff.

A few days ago, I purchased My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts - Brian Eno & David Byrne.

My initial reaction was disappointment though I attribute that reaction largely to my own preconceived notions.

Wasn't what I expected.

Since then, with my preconceived notions tossed aside, I've actually starting to warm up to it.

And just arrived in the mail today, Eno's Before And After Science.

Eagerly looking forward to my first listen of that album.

• Another Green World and Before and After Science are both fantastic albums. My favorite songs are The Big Ship from AGW and Julie With from BAAS.

• Official Post

My latest acquisition is a recording of Maris Janson conducting the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra playing Shostakovich's Violion Concerto No 1, with Hilary Hahn as solo violinist.

These days, I listen to many classical recordings on YT before I buy the CD. It saves money and shelf space that isn't cluttered up with a recording I do not particularly enjoy. I found this concert there, too:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• My latest acquisition is a recording of Maris Janson conducting the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra playing Shostakovich's Violion Concerto No 1, with Hilary Hahn as solo violinist.

These days, I listen to many classical recordings on YT before I buy the CD. It saves money and shelf space that isn't cluttered up with a recording I do not particularly enjoy. I found this concert there, too:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I often like listening to Classical music as well. :)

Like you, I visit YouTube before buying a CD. I've also subscribed to various YT sites as well on music to get recommendations which often pop up from time to time. ;)

• Another Green World and Before and After Science are both fantastic albums. My favorite songs are The Big Ship from AGW and Julie With from BAAS.

I agree, AGW and BAAS are both very enjoyable. I give AGW a slight edge.

I really like the mix of songs and soundscapes on both these albums.

I'll continue my journey but I'm at a fork in the road, and have to decide what direction I go next, whether it's the first two albums which I suspect are more song-based, or the early ambient stuff, Discreet, Music For Airports... which I'm equally open to.

EDIT: After listening to excerpts on YouTube from the two ambient music albums I mentioned, I think I'll give those a pass. I like Fripp's soundscapes albums. They have moments that I actually find quite moving. But based on the Eno tracks I just listened to, I suspect I would find his ambient music a bit too subdued.

• Official Post

I've also subscribed to various YT sites as well on music to get recommendations which often pop up from time to time. ;)

I've subscribed to a wonderful podcast by a radio station that specializes in classical music. Each podcast takes around ten minutes to introduce a musical masterpiece. Not just "it was written in ... by ...", but they also bring in conductors or musicians who explain what makes this piece so very special for them. So many things waiting to be discovered!

• I often like listening to Classical music as well. :)

Like you, I visit YouTube before buying a CD. I've also subscribed to various YT sites as well on music to get recommendations which often pop up from time to time. ;)

I subscribe to Classic Album Review, which is Barry Robinson . He's very good. A number of good interviews too. Do you have any other recommendations?

• Official Post

Saturday Night In San Francisco

That's the sister-album to Friday Night In San Francisco (McLaughlin, Meola, de Lucia), which was put on the shelves until now. Fascinating stuff, since the set was very dkfferent.