Genesis lack of cover versions or collaboratiions.

• The only time Genesis really performed a number of cover versions, other than in their earliest days - the Turn It On Again medley - was never well-received from fans. Once bottles are thrown at you you might think about going back to original songs ;P

• On the other hand, many PC hits are covers... 8)

I wouldn't say 'many'. He did an album of Motown songs. He had a hit with You Can't Hurry Love, a Motown cover. A Groovy Kind Of Love. Two Hearts. Separate Lives. Then there are True Colours and Can't Stop Loving You, but neither of those were big hits.

Not that it matters but with the exception of YCHL, the others were for films.

• started thinking of others doing Genesis covers.. of the top of head can remember Keane doing Thats All and Paul Carrick doing YOSW...will have to remind myself of some others

A whole bunch of cover versions of Land Of Confusion: Katzenjammer, Disturbed, some other metal band, Alcazar...

• I wouldn't say 'many'. He did an album of Motown songs. He had a hit with You Can't Hurry Love, a Motown cover. A Groovy Kind Of Love. Two Hearts. Separate Lives. Then there are True Colours and Can't Stop Loving You, but neither of those were big hits.

Not that it matters but with the exception of YCHL, the others were for films.

Just for housekeeping.....Two Hearts isn't a cover....PC wrote it to sound like a Motown classic.

Separate Lives was written for a film by Stephen Bishop...PC and Marilyn Martin sang it originally, so again not a cover.

• Just for housekeeping.....Two Hearts isn't a cover....PC wrote it to sound like a Motown classic.

Separate Lives was written for a film by Stephen Bishop...PC and Marilyn Martin sang it originally, so again not a cover.

Sorry, When I looked up the songwriting credit I saw Lamont Dozier, but didn't see Phil's name as a co-writer. As for Separate Lives, it depends whether you think because Phil's version was the first, that means it's not a cover. I suppose it isn't if you look at it that way.

• Not many covers by Genesis, but the topic reminds me of this site which has over a hundred (I think) examples of Genesis songs being sampled by other artists. Always get a kick out of really old songs like The Knife featuring in rap songs. And there's an absurd remix of Suppers Ready in there somewhere.

https://www.whosampled.com/Genesis/

Great link. Fascinating. Haven't heard many covers I guess the most famous is Disturbed LOC, which was OK. I heard Jeff Buckley's Back In NYC a long time ago and really liked it. I'll no doubt peruse this site over time. I'll certainly look up the Knife .

• Great link. Fascinating. Haven't heard many covers I guess the most famous is Disturbed LOC, which was OK. I heard Jeff Buckley's Back In NYC a long time ago and really liked it. I'll no doubt peruse this site over time. I'll certainly look up the Knife .

Like you, it’s been a while since I’ve heard Jeff Buckley’s version of Back in NYC. As I remember it was very good.